Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weight Loss
Weight Loss
Just wondering......I had gained a lot of weight a few years ago but in the past year lost a big amount (over 70 lbs). After I lost most of those 70+ lbs is when the daily fatigue began and I was diagnosed with sa. The dr said this was so unusual since the losing of weight generally helps.
I've leveled off at about 209 lbs. but that's still high ( although I dont look that weight) since I'm 5'8. Just thinking if I made a big effort to lose, say, 30 lbs. if my sa might improve to where I dont need cpap anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weight Loss
Many people hope for that outcome; few attain it.
Well done on the weight loss.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hard to answer your question. Some folk have reported losing weight and not needing cpap anymore. Others not so lucky.

Had bad is your SA? What is your AHI and breakdown of AHI?

Download #SleepyHead software, then send us a screenshot.
Follow these instructions:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

Let us give you some advice based on current data. Then if you lose more weight, we can take another look at your data.

BTW, congrats on your weight loss! Keep it up, even if you don't manage to get off cpap, the weight loss should improve your numbers and you may be able to use a lower pressure setting.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you presented with severe OSA during your sleep test, it is unlikely that you will ever test with mild or normal sleep apnea. Although weight is a strong co-morbidity with OSA, we have a number of small, fit and young individuals that need CPAP. Losing weight has a lot of rewards. Better health, energy, sex, mobility, and much more; but don't count on losing your need for PAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My SA started just 2 years ago, after I lost 30 lbs. I am 6 ft and 185 lbs. While weight can be a factor, it wasn't in my case.

I have benefitted from both the weight loss AND cpap therapy.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi harmon k,
CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. My sleep study showed I stopped breathing 24.7 times/hr....
moderate. With cpap my daily "events" are almost always 0 to 1 which are excellent #s, I know. So why oh why, after 2+ months do I feel just as tired (or just minimally better) than before treatment?
Post Reply Post Reply
I tend to forget how bad it was before cpap. Then I mess up and get a reminder. Today is a reminder day. My fault My suffering...Stupid

Post Reply Post Reply
After 6 months I thought I was sleeping well. AHI was 0 to 1. Then I started sleeping much better for the next 3 months and saw my first REM sleep. AHI went up to 1 to 4. Now I have gone 18 days with average AHI < 1, with very good sleep. Not perfect, yet.

Bottom line, not all sleep is good sleep.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Dang Mr. Accountant that sounds like quite a profit. Glad to hear it. likeSleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 156 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 276 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,317 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 698 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Major weight loss, still need CPAP? bperella 3 559 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Weight loss Nsmon1313 3 598 06-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Lower auto pressure while loosing weight? tottbjorn 3 616 06-05-2023, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.