Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weight Loss and Apnea
Weight Loss and Apnea
Hi folks. I haven't been around for a long while. I have been on a CPAP for almost 5 years now. Use it faithfully and travel with it. It's my "bud." I finally found a wonderful headgear designed for women. It's the first time I've ever been able to use a nose pillow system due to broken nose and some other surgeries. I digress...

I am interested to know if anyone has been able to control apnea with weight loss. Dr said my apnea is severe and surgery will not help, but weight loss could. I'm a petite senior, but am about 30 pounds overweight. I watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead and have started juicing. I'm hoping the weight loss will rid me of my CPAP need. Anyone???
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weight Loss and Apnea
From the studies I've read, weight loss does help with reducing but not eliminating sleep apnea. Benefits tend to be greater for those with high AHI and high BMI or other indicators of obesity. Weight loss will likely help you but probably not enough to eliminate the need for cpap therapy. That's my take from the studies I've read, YMMV. Go for it and good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GinnyB and WELCOME! to the forum.!
I can understand that you want to lose weight but it won't necessarily rid you of your ""bud,"" (Ha-Ha.)
I have heard that losing weight can help with apnea but I have also heard that it doesn't necessarily.
Best of luck to you with your weight loss and your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more ideas.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
There's one user here who had bariatric surgery and still has to use her machine. She was able to lower the pressure but she still had events.

Being obese is not exactly the cause of sleep apnea but it certainly doesn't help it any. There are lots of skinny people with sleep apnea!

And it also depends on where your fat is. If you have a lot around your neck (vs waist), then losing weight will indeed help. But if your weight is mostly at your waist (I'm a pear!), then losing weight probably won't make that big a difference. BUT, it is a good thing to lose weight as it helps your overall health and can help you to sleep better.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GinnyB,

I agree with everyone else on this.

Remember, there's children and plenty of thin people that have sleep apnea too, it doesn't discriminate.

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
I am certain that my OSA has been lifelong, even at times when I was not overweight, since I was foggy headed early in the morning until I started CPAP. Also, people have always complained about my snoring, even when I was in the army years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your doctor is smart to warn you against surgery. Success rates are low, and complication and side effects are high.

Weight loss has a fairly low success rate at curing apnea, but the "side effects" of weight loss are usually good things. Lose the weight, and hope. If it doesn't cure the apnea, you'll still probably be better off.

Just don't stop or put CPAP off because you're going to lose weight. Lose the weight, then get tested for apnea again.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 08:33 AM)GinnyB Wrote: Hi folks. I haven't been around for a long while. I have been on a CPAP for almost 5 years now. Use it faithfully and travel with it. It's my "bud." I finally found a wonderful headgear designed for women. It's the first time I've ever been able to use a nose pillow system due to broken nose and some other surgeries. I digress...

I am interested to know if anyone has been able to control apnea with weight loss. Dr said my apnea is severe and surgery will not help, but weight loss could. I'm a petite senior, but am about 30 pounds overweight. I watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead and have started juicing. I'm hoping the weight loss will rid me of my CPAP need. Anyone???
Hi GinnyB. I have been using CPAP therapy for a long time. My doctor also told me that weight loss would help my sleep apnea. I went to the gym and worked out five days a week for a year and lost 40 pounds. My AHI stayed about the same. My back pain felt better, but it did nothing for my sleep apnea. Maybe it will work for you. Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Losing weight can only help your general heath. (that is why I keep trying) Apnea, maybe, maybe not. But go for it. Good luck.
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
bummer, but I'll continue my weight loss quest. Thanks folks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 208 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 10 435 04-04-2024, 03:18 AM
Last Post: bushinc
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 216 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 766 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,425 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 740 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Major weight loss, still need CPAP? bperella 3 587 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Old Mike

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.