Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weight Loss & treatment changes
RE: Weight Loss & treatment changes
Hey BIGCAV

It's always a real pick-me-up to hear a success story. Especially from someone as young as yourself.

All I can say is keep up the good work and we old timers here at the forum are proud of ya mate!!!

Sleep-well Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Well Big guy I hear you about the inconvenience thing when you're out sporting around. Personally, my foot is nailed to the floor so I can't do that, but it would be a bummer to want to sleep somewhere else and have to say "I'll be back in a couple of hours, just have to jet over and pick up my machine."

So how about try to score a good used Resmed Elite that you can keep in the car? Prices are down now since the new A10's have come out. If the Elite's are still priced high in Australia, you could order one shipped to you from one of our handy dandy on-line suppliers.

I like the idea of having a spare machine for travel, or in case if my main go-to machine should suddenly be sucked up by the aliens or something.

I also know what you mean about advice from friends and family. They mean well and they want you to do well. But turning your life around physically is a combination of many things. Losing weight is a biggy, but getting proper sleep, better exercise, and eating well - but perhaps modifying some of the ingredients a bit are all aspects to getting where YOU are going. Me? I learned yesterday I should lick more puppies. Or was it lick more mushrooms? Now I forget..........

Congrats again.

Post Reply Post Reply
First, congrats of course (my high was 409, am currently 317) so I've been somewhat in your shoes. Unless as Doc states, your neck size drops a lot (my hasn't), as far as CPAP is concerned, possible lower pressure is about the only gain you will see with weight loss. Of course, in many other areas the weight loss will be of greater benefit to you (can you fit in a booth at Taco bell yet? I just barely can ... now.

My desire is rather simple for my weight loss, I just wanna fit in clothing sold at Wally world. It's that simple.

As with a few of the other folks here, Apnea is not my only issue. You can get a good dose of reality here, but otherwise I think you will find us for the most part supportive with a desire to be a help.

Welcome.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2014, 01:07 PM)Peter_C Wrote: (can you fit in a booth at Taco bell yet? I just barely can ... now.

My desire is rather simple for my weight loss, I just wanna fit in clothing sold at Wally world. It's that simple.

Taco Bell..... at our weights do we really need Taco Bell? I can hardly eat there and even semi stay on my diet, and yah I miss that place. I never liked booths and then stopped fitting in them. I am just about back to a booth comfortably but I still don't like them.

Congrads on the weight loss really though to all of us, we know how damned hard it is.

And Wally world goes up to 5x I can always find something that fits me there. And no I am not posting my weight but I was worse than you.... You should be able to find stuff there now, no?

And I'm sure I shall take a lot of crap for saying this here, but it is the truth, and I'm not going to lie about it. It is a pain in the azz to have that machine everywhere where you are going to be and to have to go get it and pack it up. I also run around at times, and when I do I will go a day or two without it if I must. I usually sleep in a chair, so that my apnea is better, and sometimes I just don't sleep at all. I can go a day or two with no sleep, not the end of the world. This is not to say I am not serious about my treatment because I am, but you know we are living people, and just like any other disease and treatments a day of cheating every once in a while is not going to kill anyone. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cheater......
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2014, 07:12 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Cheater......
Feelings hurter......
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2014, 07:03 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(09-24-2014, 01:07 PM)Peter_C Wrote: (can you fit in a booth at Taco bell yet? I just barely can ... now.

Taco Bell..... at our weights do we really need Taco Bell? I can hardly eat there and even semi stay on my diet, and yah I miss that place. I never liked booths and then stopped fitting in them. I am just about back to a booth comfortably but I still don't like them.

Congrads on the weight loss really though to all of us, we know how damned hard it is.

And Wally world goes up to 5x I can always find something that fits me there. And no I am not posting my weight but I was worse than you.... You should be able to find stuff there now, no?

And I'm sure I shall take a lot of crap for saying this here, but it is the truth, and I'm not going to lie about it. It is a pain in the azz to have that machine everywhere where you are going to be and to have to go get it and pack it up. I also run around at times, and when I do I will go a day or two without it if I must. I usually sleep in a chair, so that my apnea is better, and sometimes I just don't sleep at all. I can go a day or two with no sleep, not the end of the world. This is not to say I am not serious about my treatment because I am, but you know we are living people, and just like any other disease and treatments a day of cheating every once in a while is not going to kill anyone. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

*Only* certain things at Wally world - I wanna fit into most anything there, not just certain brands, etc...

Taco Bell - sorry, quality of life demands Taco Bell at least monthly Smile

As for me and my dream machine - yes, it IS a pain to move it around, but I am serious about not even napping without it. Camping is a real issue for me (not car camping), but trike/camping - I do not have a good solution for multi-day trike/camping trips yet. So I don't sleep much then. But anywhere with power, my dream machine goes - I am that bad.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2014, 11:15 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Well Big guy I hear you about the inconvenience thing when you're out sporting around. Personally, my foot is nailed to the floor so I can't do that, but it would be a bummer to want to sleep somewhere else and have to say "I'll be back in a couple of hours, just have to jet over and pick up my machine."

So how about try to score a good used Resmed Elite that you can keep in the car? Prices are down now since the new A10's have come out. If the Elite's are still priced high in Australia, you could order one shipped to you from one of our handy dandy on-line suppliers.

I like the idea of having a spare machine for travel, or in case if my main go-to machine should suddenly be sucked up by the aliens or something.

I also know what you mean about advice from friends and family. They mean well and they want you to do well. But turning your life around physically is a combination of many things. Losing weight is a biggy, but getting proper sleep, better exercise, and eating well - but perhaps modifying some of the ingredients a bit are all aspects to getting where YOU are going. Me? I learned yesterday I should lick more puppies. Or was it lick more mushrooms? Now I forget..........

Congrats again.

i think i will seriously consider a used machine as a spare, or see what that travel model is worth (cant remember what it was but it was blue), but they are still bloody expensive over here, equivilant to probably 2 weeks wages and thats wages outright not what i can actually save a week, with the mortgage it would be months of savings to get another one unfortunatly, wish they were covered by the government lol

(09-24-2014, 01:07 PM)Peter_C Wrote: First, congrats of course (my high was 409, am currently 317) so I've been somewhat in your shoes. Unless as Doc states, your neck size drops a lot (my hasn't), as far as CPAP is concerned, possible lower pressure is about the only gain you will see with weight loss. Of course, in many other areas the weight loss will be of greater benefit to you (can you fit in a booth at Taco bell yet? I just barely can ... now.

As with a few of the other folks here, Apnea is not my only issue. You can get a good dose of reality here, but otherwise I think you will find us for the most part supportive with a desire to be a help.

Welcome.

im quite thankful sleep apnea has been my only major issue so far, atleast that i know of so far haha, never been to a taco bell before as they arnt as big over here in australia as i recon they are overseas but i know what you mean, i couldnt even fit into mosts booths in the past, now the worst i get is uncomfortable in really small ones, i still avoid them but i think thats out of habit now, have found so many things that are doable now that never used to be, hoping into certain small trucks and plant equipment at work is easy as now but i still havent got used to it yet and think i wont fit into places i do easily now lol

Wally world? always thought that was a made up place from the national lampoon series

i always thought sleeping in a chair or upright was better for me but without having someone listen to me i never investigated it further so thanks for confirming what i suspected

was a 7xl but between a 3 and 4 now, still very hard to find anywhere in australia at anywhere outside of some clothing stores, at an event for example youll struggle to find bigger then 2xl here in aus

(09-24-2014, 11:45 PM)Peter_C Wrote:

*Only* certain things at Wally world - I wanna fit into most anything there, not just certain brands, etc...

Taco Bell - sorry, quality of life demands Taco Bell at least monthly Smile

As for me and my dream machine - yes, it IS a pain to move it around, but I am serious about not even napping without it. Camping is a real issue for me (not car camping), but trike/camping - I do not have a good solution for multi-day trike/camping trips yet. So I don't sleep much then. But anywhere with power, my dream machine goes - I am that bad.

i have only been camping once so far, i used a bank of small batterys totally i think 80ah maybe, while the details are fuzzy now when i got home and put it on the charger i had tonnes of life left in it, could probably go 2 weeks away, so a small 20ah battery should be good for your average weekend trip away
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2014, 07:20 AM)BIGCAV Wrote: i think i will seriously consider a used machine as a spare, or see what that travel model is worth (cant remember what it was but it was blue), but they are still bloody expensive over here, equivilant to probably 2 weeks wages and thats wages outright not what i can actually save a week, with the mortgage it would be months of savings to get another one unfortunatly, wish they were covered by the government lol

I understand you guys down there in upside down world get screwxx when you purchase these things. That's ridiculous.

However some online suppliers will ship to Australia. For instance our "Supplier #2" (http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...d=31#pid31) is currently advertising an Elite as you have now for $369.00 U.S. And will ship to Australia. So it's do-able, if not perfect.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wal-Mart big store that sells most anything.

Trike - as in recumbent trike - pedal power this is my last trip of 200 odd miles:
[Image: 2013-05-15GAP_Trip_05-2013013_zpse88f9a38.jpg]

So adding the weight of both a CPAP and battery would be a bit of a pain. You've got the booth idea - being able to squeeze into places 'normal' people don't even think about.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 148 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 126 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 218 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 229 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 10 438 04-04-2024, 03:18 AM
Last Post: bushinc
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 641 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] TiredFGO - Treatment Thread TiredFGO 1 128 03-30-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.