Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weight Loss
Weight Loss
I've been wondering about weight and apnea. I know obesity increases apnea (and being chronically sleep deprived probably contributes to weight gain).

I started all this needing to lose a good 60 lbs. I'm down 16 lb (slow and steady!). Also, they measured my neck both in the office and at the sleep study. It is 14.5 inches. Is that bad for a woman?? I don't think my neck size will change much with weight loss...

Anyways, what are people experiences? How much weight did you need to lose before noticing a difference? And what is a "normal" neck size? Will loosing enough weight "fix" me? That would be great!

Just curious. Obviously weight lose is good regardless, but it sure would be an added bonus if it also cured the apnea...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weight Loss
Weight loss is great, but rarely results in a sufficient improvement in sleep apnea to leave the machine behind. There have been cases of pressure requirements changing and even increasing with weight loss. Unless you had a mild case to start with, you'd be better off to look forward to looking better at the pool than losing the mask at night. Hope it works out for you anyway. There are always a few exceptions.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too need to lose some weight. Thanks to a nice little place called "Angelo's Italy," I actually need to lose a little more now than I did a week ago.

Yes, weight lose can do wonderful things for us. In my case if I lost about 20 or 30 pounds, or 10 even, I would breath easier. That would be a good thing.

But it probably wouldn't resolve my apnea. And frankly, I'm not sure I would want to give up my cute little machine in any case. For me, the security of having nice, comfy air delivered on a regular basis while I'm asleep is just too nice to think about giving up.

So yeah, try to drop some pounds. Your cute little body will feel much better and you'll be rightly very proud of yourself for getting that done. But continue to embrace and love the therapy. It's an amazing thing we are doing for our bodies.

p.s. Stay away from "Angelo's Italy."
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 12:58 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I too need to lose some weight. Thanks to a nice little place called "Angelo's Italy," I actually need to lose a little more now than I did a week ago.

Yes, weight lose can do wonderful things for us. In my case if I lost about 20 or 30 pounds, or 10 even, I would breath easier. That would be a good thing.

But it probably wouldn't resolve my apnea. And frankly, I'm not sure I would want to give up my cute little machine in any case. For me, the security of having nice, comfy air delivered on a regular basis while I'm asleep is just too nice to think about giving up.

So yeah, try to drop some pounds. Your cute little body will feel much better and you'll be rightly very proud of yourself for getting that done. But continue to embrace and love the therapy. It's an amazing thing we are doing for our bodies.

p.s. Stay away from "Angelo's Italy."

Same here I could stand to lose a ton of weight myself , but after using Cpap machine for 3 months now, I wish I had started this 10 years ago, I too really enjoy a solid air flow through the night and not waking up chocking.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not lost an ounce - in fact I may have found yours and picked em up.... (grumble grumble) I have been on cpap for 4 mo now. Congrats on losing some Smile

I had hoped some would magically fall off, but they have not - silly me made several changes all at once, one was to reduce levothyroxine (bc of atrial tachy) just got tsh checked again and its all the way up to 5.7. yipe. low thyroid could def account for picking up lbs. hope getting that under ctrl along with the apnea gives me a second chance at the weight-loss lottery!!!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, after my weekend last week I was going to recommend a road-trip to Bandon on the Beach for you. But now,,,,,, oh what the heck, go girl!

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 12:55 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Weight loss is great, but rarely results in a sufficient improvement in sleep apnea to leave the machine behind. There have been cases of pressure requirements changing and even increasing with weight loss. Unless you had a mild case to start with, you'd be better off to look forward to looking better at the pool than losing the mask at night. Hope it works out for you anyway. There are always a few exceptions.

So much for wishful thinking!

My AHI was 26 untreated... moderate is what the doc said...

My machine is at a fixed pressure. How often does that need to be reassessed then? Or after how much weight loss/gain? My AHI are consistently below 1 with treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 12:58 PM)retired_guy Wrote: But it probably wouldn't resolve my apnea. And frankly, I'm not sure I would want to give up my cute little machine in any case. For me, the security of having nice, comfy air delivered on a regular basis while I'm asleep is just too nice to think about giving up.

My machine is great because it helps me feel so much better, but if I could successfully breath and sleep without it... I would in a heartbeat! Maybe mine isn't as cute as yours Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 01:47 PM)DariaVader Wrote: I had hoped some would magically fall off, but they have not - silly me made several changes all at once, one was to reduce levothyroxine (bc of atrial tachy) just got tsh checked again and its all the way up to 5.7. yipe. low thyroid could def account for picking up lbs. hope getting that under ctrl along with the apnea gives me a second chance at the weight-loss lottery!!!

Yep me too! I hoped I would sleep better and magically start running marathons :die laughing: Alas, I have not.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi snowdrop,
CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss.
The reason I don't want to give up my machine is that since I have been using it, I haven't had any nosebleeds during the winter because of the humidifier, I use it year-round to prevent them.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 149 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 271 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,314 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 694 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Major weight loss, still need CPAP? bperella 3 557 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Weight loss Nsmon1313 3 597 06-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Lower auto pressure while loosing weight? tottbjorn 3 616 06-05-2023, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.