Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Weight gain
That is pretty discouraging. I guess if we want to avoid weight gain, we need to do it the old fashioned way...quit CPAP...

or perhaps eat less and stay more active. One of those should work. Smile

04-03-2015 08:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

one of the two ought to work.

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
04-03-2015 03:22 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(04-03-2015 08:36 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  That is pretty discouraging. I guess if we want to avoid weight gain, we need to do it the old fashioned way...quit CPAP...

I can happily state that I have neither gained nor lost weight since beginning CPAP. I have the same svelte high school figure I had over 50 years ago. It's just that from the kneecaps up I tend to broaden out a bit.
04-03-2015 03:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
eseedhouse Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

(04-03-2015 03:53 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  
(04-03-2015 08:36 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  That is pretty discouraging. I guess if we want to avoid weight gain, we need to do it the old fashioned way...quit CPAP...

I can happily state that I have neither gained nor lost weight since beginning CPAP. I have the same svelte high school figure I had over 50 years ago. It's just that from the kneecaps up I tend to broaden out a bit.

I too am about the same or a bit lower after four months of CPAP therapy. The internist I saw at the local hospital early last year said that it was common for people with oedema (such as I had at the time) to lose 10 or 20 pounds of water after starting CPAP. I didn't, largely I suppose because the Lasix pills he gave me did it for me before I started therapy.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 04:41 PM by eseedhouse.)
04-03-2015 04:40 PM
Buckeyedog Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-17

Other Comments:

I've been on VPAP for almost a year and have gained 15 lbs. Of course sitting at a desk all day and having a beer or two at night I'm sure has nothing to do with it at all...........haha!! But I've done that all my life and this just seemed pile on rather quickly.
04-05-2015 09:18 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Jacque Offline

New Members

Machine: unsure
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Bipap
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Just read your post and I am experiencing identical findings... I am in LOVE with my new Bipap machine... I have gone from 25 Centrals down to 5 an hour... and no more morning headaches... I stepped on the scale this morning and my weight has climbed 10 lbs in ONE MONTH! I am weight conscious as can be and have had a stable weight for years not.. .If anything I have been MORE active since using the Bipap machine..yet I am getting fatter and fatter! None of my clothes fit... I am soooo bummmmed! SO I get to sleep at night buuuut I turn I become fat in the process! ughhhh Just wondering if you found any answers or what is going on with you now??? Thank you for your answer in advance! Is this weight water??? Fat??? What in the worrrrld???? So frustrating!!! Jacque
05-31-2015 04:15 AM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

For everyone - I is not the CPAP ultimately - it is how much you eat as opposed to how much you burn. The science on that is in. If you feel better you may have a healthier appetite, which might lead to weight gain, so just have a look at your caloric intake and outgo and stop hooking it on the therapy. It is nice and convenient to blame a little black box for your weight woes, but it is the little round hole that is the problem; stop trying to fill it and you will lose weight. Plain and simple.

Every study we have done here on the relationship between sleep apnoea, treatment and weight gain/loss* points to one conclusion - most people have no real idea as to how much they really eat - what they think they eat bears only a tangential relationship to what they really eat, and when we put them on a special monitoring system to see how much they really eat as opposed to what they think they eat in terms of serving size, etc, they are off by up to 70% (the average is off by 48%). So, it ain't the CPAP, ffolks, it is your misestimate as to how much you really are eating/burning.

*a series of doctoral studies were carried out at our clinics to examine various aspects of weight gain and loss, and the factors mitigating them, which included separate studies of sleep apnoea, apnoea treated patients, cardiac patients, morbus meniere patients and general public. The only one where you could directly attribute weight gain to disease was morbus meniere, because patients tend to move far less and therefore lower their burn rate - SA patients were found to suffer weight gain due to mitigating factors related to fatigue, mostly they ate more because they felt tired, and all patients showed the same lack of accurate estimate of calories and actual portion size that helped to support a weight gain via, well, as we put it in German, ignorance. All of this will be compiled eventually into a meta study (the various studies are being taken up by new doctoral students and are ongoing in nature) and once there is enough to publish in a scientific journal, it will be. But the clear gist is - people don't really know how much they actually eat, underestimating it massively in most cases, with the exception of people with body dismorphic eating disorders that tend to make them thin - they heavily overestimate their caloric intake. The other thing that is clearly pointed to is the role of sugar (and to a lesser extent, salt) as the main culprit of weight gain. There is far too much of it in the diet, from all sources, so cut the bad carbs and balance your diet, people.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2015 07:01 AM by DocWils.)
05-31-2015 04:46 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
player Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset For Her
Mask Make & Model: Resmed A10
Humidifier: Resmed A10 Autosset
CPAP Pressure: 11-16

Other Comments: It's a... mad world...

I've gained a pile of weight. I sometimes wake up early, eat breakfast, and then sleep another 4 hours.

This can't help.
05-31-2015 05:02 AM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

When I started CPAP therapy it took a while for me to start feeling better, but once I did I was so happy that I celebrated. Told myself that I would lose weight because I would now be more active. But I gained weight because I wasn't focused on what I was eating. Instead I was focused on how much better I felt.

In other words, I had my head up my arse.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-31-2015 08:50 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
2PAPs Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR System One 750p
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Ultra Mirage
Humidifier: PR System ONe
CPAP Pressure: 8-20
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

There might be other problems with weight gain. There seems to be a relationship between overweight people with sleep apnea and diabetes. With diabetes, blood sugar is not getting metabolized and turning into fat!
05-31-2015 10:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Weight Loss harmon k 8 186 Yesterday 07:01 AM
Last Post: Rcgop
  [Symptoms] weight gain and swelling doll 6 393 09-08-2016 10:45 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Cure OSA Weith Weight Loss? GingerMan512 5 428 08-10-2016 10:31 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Weight loss and CPAP pressure settings cate1898 16 1,711 06-11-2016 08:16 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  weight gain I_will_never_sleep_again 10 1,127 03-22-2016 09:51 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Question [Health] WEIGHT LOSS AND SURGERY ON ADENOIDS joanieb69 3 532 02-21-2016 10:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Weight Gain From Water Retention Louis R. 54 4,724 09-12-2015 11:37 PM
Last Post: Louis R.