Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weight gain
RE: Weight gain
That is pretty discouraging. I guess if we want to avoid weight gain, we need to do it the old fashioned way...quit CPAP...

or perhaps eat less and stay more active. One of those should work. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
one of the two ought to work.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 08:36 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: That is pretty discouraging. I guess if we want to avoid weight gain, we need to do it the old fashioned way...quit CPAP...

I can happily state that I have neither gained nor lost weight since beginning CPAP. I have the same svelte high school figure I had over 50 years ago. It's just that from the kneecaps up I tend to broaden out a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 03:53 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 08:36 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: That is pretty discouraging. I guess if we want to avoid weight gain, we need to do it the old fashioned way...quit CPAP...

I can happily state that I have neither gained nor lost weight since beginning CPAP. I have the same svelte high school figure I had over 50 years ago. It's just that from the kneecaps up I tend to broaden out a bit.

I too am about the same or a bit lower after four months of CPAP therapy. The internist I saw at the local hospital early last year said that it was common for people with oedema (such as I had at the time) to lose 10 or 20 pounds of water after starting CPAP. I didn't, largely I suppose because the Lasix pills he gave me did it for me before I started therapy.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on VPAP for almost a year and have gained 15 lbs. Of course sitting at a desk all day and having a beer or two at night I'm sure has nothing to do with it at all...........haha!! But I've done that all my life and this just seemed pile on rather quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just read your post and I am experiencing identical findings... I am in LOVE with my new Bipap machine... I have gone from 25 Centrals down to 5 an hour... and no more morning headaches... I stepped on the scale this morning and my weight has climbed 10 lbs in ONE MONTH! I am weight conscious as can be and have had a stable weight for years not.. .If anything I have been MORE active since using the Bipap machine..yet I am getting fatter and fatter! None of my clothes fit... I am soooo bummmmed! SO I get to sleep at night buuuut I turn I become fat in the process! ughhhh Just wondering if you found any answers or what is going on with you now??? Thank you for your answer in advance! Is this weight water??? Fat??? What in the worrrrld???? So frustrating!!! Jacque
Post Reply Post Reply
For everyone - I is not the CPAP ultimately - it is how much you eat as opposed to how much you burn. The science on that is in. If you feel better you may have a healthier appetite, which might lead to weight gain, so just have a look at your caloric intake and outgo and stop hooking it on the therapy. It is nice and convenient to blame a little black box for your weight woes, but it is the little round hole that is the problem; stop trying to fill it and you will lose weight. Plain and simple.

Every study we have done here on the relationship between sleep apnoea, treatment and weight gain/loss* points to one conclusion - most people have no real idea as to how much they really eat - what they think they eat bears only a tangential relationship to what they really eat, and when we put them on a special monitoring system to see how much they really eat as opposed to what they think they eat in terms of serving size, etc, they are off by up to 70% (the average is off by 48%). So, it ain't the CPAP, ffolks, it is your misestimate as to how much you really are eating/burning.

*a series of doctoral studies were carried out at our clinics to examine various aspects of weight gain and loss, and the factors mitigating them, which included separate studies of sleep apnoea, apnoea treated patients, cardiac patients, morbus meniere patients and general public. The only one where you could directly attribute weight gain to disease was morbus meniere, because patients tend to move far less and therefore lower their burn rate - SA patients were found to suffer weight gain due to mitigating factors related to fatigue, mostly they ate more because they felt tired, and all patients showed the same lack of accurate estimate of calories and actual portion size that helped to support a weight gain via, well, as we put it in German, ignorance. All of this will be compiled eventually into a meta study (the various studies are being taken up by new doctoral students and are ongoing in nature) and once there is enough to publish in a scientific journal, it will be. But the clear gist is - people don't really know how much they actually eat, underestimating it massively in most cases, with the exception of people with body dismorphic eating disorders that tend to make them thin - they heavily overestimate their caloric intake. The other thing that is clearly pointed to is the role of sugar (and to a lesser extent, salt) as the main culprit of weight gain. There is far too much of it in the diet, from all sources, so cut the bad carbs and balance your diet, people.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've gained a pile of weight. I sometimes wake up early, eat breakfast, and then sleep another 4 hours.

This can't help.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I started CPAP therapy it took a while for me to start feeling better, but once I did I was so happy that I celebrated. Told myself that I would lose weight because I would now be more active. But I gained weight because I wasn't focused on what I was eating. Instead I was focused on how much better I felt.

In other words, I had my head up my arse.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There might be other problems with weight gain. There seems to be a relationship between overweight people with sleep apnea and diabetes. With diabetes, blood sugar is not getting metabolized and turning into fat!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 153 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 274 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can high loop gain be changed? NoddingHacker 2 391 01-05-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,314 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 695 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Major weight loss, still need CPAP? bperella 3 557 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Weight loss Nsmon1313 3 597 06-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.