Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weight gain
RE: Weight gain
Can I suggest the following to reduce weight, whether this applies to you or not, it works for me and many of my friends

Food must be no or very low carbs (potatoes and chips/fries are worst items here)

Also low or no sugar, this includes most fruit as they have sugar content

Eat lots of protein food, eggs for breakfast, salads, tuna. I snack on one small tin of tuna 3 times a day. Eat 250 gms of meat, chicken or fish for main meal with salad

Drink 2 to 3 litres of water each day

Walk briskly for 30 to 45 minutes for 5 days a week

I guarantee you will loose weight

That is a guide that I found works for me
Happy sleeping
From Worthog in Brightwater (Mountain Creek)Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 01:37 PM)wilorg Wrote: There is no strong evidence about weight gain from using a mask - if anything, the opposite, theoretically. I, too, have gained a bit, but it may well be that my appetite is "healthier" than pre-cpap. The best answer is to be dead sure that your caloric intake has not increased and your caloric outgo has not decreased somehow. There is alas, no real useful literature on any of this, but current thinking is that apnoea leads to weight gain, relief from it eventually leads to decrease, but it may take a period of adjustment first.

Hi hikeatrail and LadyMarilyn, welcome to the forum!

Statistically, I think the average person gains weight as we grow older, so one could expect that, statistically, if CPAP had no influence then the average CPAP user would gain weight at the usual average rate as we get older. That's one thing to keep in mind.

Another is that if more people are posting that they also have gained weight, compared to the number who say they have lost weight since starting on CPAP, I am sure you understand this does not constitute a scientific sample. People are usually more likely to post if they agree and identify with what an earlier poster has said, than if what was said by an earlier poster does not apply to them.

Actually, I think I've come across more mentions of losing weight since starting CPAP than gaining weight.

So, I think it is possible that slow weight gain is most often unrelated to CPAP therapy, caused mostly by slight changes in diet or amount of exercise, like it is for the general population.

I don't mean to be disagreeable, and certainly look forward to your continued membership and participation on Apnea Board, for which I will be thankful. Again, welcome to the forum!

Take care,
---Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 12:11 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Also, if seeing the doc/new sleep study/data capable machine are cost prohibitive, you could get a low-end recording pulse oximeter for about $50. Wear it while sleeping and and then use the software that comes with it to see if you have any O2 desaturations. Desaturations would mean your therapy probably isn't working too well. No desaturations would mean your PAP therapy is probably working.

Feeling good during the day would lead one to believe the therapy is still effective; but, if it were me, I would still do whatever I could to check to make sure - considering the circumstances.

WOW, what fedback and thanks. I can get a pulse ox and seeing Dr.next week. I do think another sleep study is warranted, though. Thanks everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I gained weight initially when I started cpap, figured I wasn't getting my cardio at night anymore Smile. Was gaining a pound a week, with no change in diet.

Fixed the problem by cutting my calories to 1200 a day plus extra if I exercise. Am down 25 lbs now. I think sleeping better helped to cut my sugar cravings.

Interestingly, my overall AHI is dropping as the weight decreases.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2013, 06:20 PM)Itsadryheat Wrote: Interestingly, my overall AHI is dropping as the weight decreases.
more likely you,re sleeping better
the right pressure would produce the same result being overweight or not as wrong pressure would too but increase AHI

Post Reply Post Reply
I am new to cpap and have gained 10 pounds in the last month. They say you burn more calories while you are a wake. So I am thinking now that i am actually sleeping now my body cant burn the extra calories. Plus before cpap i was sleeping 16 or more hours a day and not awake enough to eat a ton of calories. Not sure how to feel about the trade off. Sleep has always been an escape from lifes worries. But i do like feeling better and having more energy while i am awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think blaming CPAP is going to take of the weight. If you've gained 10 lbs in a month, get a grip on your eating/drinking and contact your doctor. That's a pretty big gain in a month.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2015, 10:54 AM)Melissa Wrote: I am new to cpap and have gained 10 pounds in the last month.

You're probably enjoying life more now that you feel better. But you know what they say? Too much of a good thing ...
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My idea is to track calories. I would be surprised if CPAP is the cause of the weight gain. The only way you can be sure is to track calories and make sure yours are close to the maintenance value for your current weight.

The opposite occurred for me, since my willpower wasn't shot from lack of sleep I was able to lose a fair amount of weight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2015, 11:06 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I don't think blaming CPAP is going to take of the weight. If you've gained 10 lbs in a month, get a grip on your eating/drinking and contact your doctor. That's a pretty big gain in a month.

My goal was also to lose weight. But, I lost 6 pounds and gained that plus a couple.

I have seen literature there is a common result from CPAP treatment that a large majority that have the treatment GAIN weight.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2546451/ indicates "BMI significantly increased in non-obese CPAP users." and that though the expected result would be weight loss, the hypothesis was rejected.

and...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15033131/ concludes "Satisfactory weight loss associated with improvement of OSAS could be achieved by means of a cognitive-behavioral weight loss program. Adding CPAP in the initial phase of the weight reduction program did not result in significantly greater weight loss."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8997223/ found that the 24-hr expended energy of an OSA sufferer is higher than only snorers. Both use more energy than those having none of these conditions.

SO- it makes some sense that when we are treated, we actually revert to a lower energy usage mode. If CAL in > CAL out, we gain weight, right?

added link: http://www.aasmnet.org/jcsm/ViewAbstract.aspx?pid=29161

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 158 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 278 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can high loop gain be changed? NoddingHacker 2 392 01-05-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,321 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 699 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Major weight loss, still need CPAP? bperella 3 559 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Weight loss Nsmon1313 3 598 06-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.