Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weight loss - at what point would a cure kick in?
RE: Weight loss - at what point would a cure kick in?
(12-15-2017, 03:47 PM)CB91710 Wrote: Watch your charts on Sleepyhead.
If you are beginning to have many nights with an AHI of zero, or only "centrals" but they are concentrated around the times when you are in twilight sleep in the morning or evening (false positives), then start watching your pressures.

That makes a ton of sense. So I wanted to do a type of "check in" to see if it's making a difference, inch my upper and lower limits to closer to the minimum, and let the data tell me what it is or isn't responding to - correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
Weight loss can change your AHI. How much though is based on your individual situation. For myself, I had AHI of 70+ while I weighed 300 lb. After bariatric surgery, I lost about 100 pounds and the AHI halved to 35. It took an ASV machine (I have mixed apnea), to get me to around 2 AHI.

Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2017, 01:11 PM)gcritchley Wrote: Last night my AHI was .08, and it was from 4 x 10 second hypopneas. I still feel tired though.

Does your leak rate graph look okay? It should be low and steady with without any extended lengths of time where it rises above the baseline.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2017, 08:00 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 01:11 PM)gcritchley Wrote: Last night my AHI was .08, and it was from 4 x 10 second hypopneas. I still feel tired though.

Does your leak rate graph look okay? It should be low and steady with without any extended lengths of time where it rises above the baseline.

Here's a screenshot. I don't know a ton about it, but I seem to remember below 24 was good? I appreciate your time - thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Leak rate looks fine from this graph nothing to worry about there
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2017, 11:55 AM)gcritchley Wrote: Here's a screenshot. I don't know a ton about it, but I seem to remember below 24 was good? I appreciate your time - thanks.

24 L/min is the leak rate at which the manufacturer claims the CPAP machine can no longer keep your airway from collapsing. Since yours is always way under 24 the machine will report that all is fine.

But ...

We see that your leak rate jumps up and down between 0 and 10, with significant stretches of time where it's at or near 10. In my opinion that can interfere with your sleep and cause you to not feel as well rested during that day as you otherwise might.

The first suspect is mouth-leaking. Try a chin strap, soft cervical collar, or both. If that doesn't work try a full face mask. When I transitioned to a full face mask I woke up less often during the night and felt better-rested during the day.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Leak rates fine. If it's not bothering you don't worry about it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi gcritchley,
CONGRATULATIONS,! on your weight loss.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2017, 04:04 PM)gcritchley Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 03:47 PM)CB91710 Wrote: Watch your charts on Sleepyhead.
If you are beginning to have many nights with an AHI of zero, or only "centrals" but they are concentrated around the times when you are in twilight sleep in the morning or evening (false positives), then start watching your pressures.

That makes a ton of sense. So I wanted to do a type of "check in" to see if it's making a difference, inch my upper and lower limits to closer to the minimum, and let the data tell me what it is or isn't responding to - correct?

I wouldn't even mess with pressures at this point.  The machine is using what it senses that you need.  Throttling it back would not help, unless your goal is to simply tighten up to force apnea events to see whether or not they appear.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Figuring out if you need to drop pressure is pretty easy. If the pressure stays at the minimum pressure all night long than yeah drop your pressure 1 cm and see what happens. If it raises during the night right now than leave it alone.

I guess pretty much what's already been said.  Happy Eyes
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 3 16 16 minutes ago
Last Post: gainerfull
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 209 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 10 436 04-04-2024, 03:18 AM
Last Post: bushinc
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 217 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 1,003 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What my apnea cure looked like progman 7 241 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 252 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.