Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weighted Blankets [Better Sleep?]
Weighted Blankets [Better Sleep?]
Anyone use weighted blankets in addition to their cpap treatment? I've been using the Airfit F20 for over a year and using a weighted blanket and sleep has been pretty great.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weighted Blankets
I'm a little lost on the relationship of a mask to heavy blanket in treating apnea. Dont-know
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2019, 11:14 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm a little lost on the relationship of a mask to heavy blanket in treating apnea. Dont-know

Not really a direct correlation, but maybe more from personal experience and a lot of individuals I have talked to who have sleep apnea also suffers from things like anxiety while sleeping causing them to toss and turn. I think for me using a weighted blanket really helped me by preventing me from moving much in my sleep so the mask stays relatively fixed and minimizing leakage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course sleep is a very complex biological process and there are many things that we can do to improve the quality of our sleep. I'm a bit jealous of people who have just one issue, say OSA, and can successfully treat it with one therapy, say xPAP, and feel back to normal. For me trying to get quality sleep has been a long struggle complicated by many other health issues with interconnections that doctors have not been able to figure out.

But to answer your question I do prefer a heavy blanket when I sleep, I did buy a pre-made weighted blanket for my son, which he didn't like, so I tried it myself and found it just too heavy for my taste.
Post Reply Post Reply
Weighted blankets have been shown to reduce anxiety in ADHD and autistic children. There is zero evidence that it does anything for adults, but if you have anxiety, it's probably worth a try. You might sleep better...maybe.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve looked into buying a weighted blanket, but haven’t yet.  Just like anything else, there are many different weighted blankets.  I would start out by purchasing the least weighted to see how it works out.

With that said, there has been research done that suggests using a weighted blanket may help with a variety of issues, like anxiety, insomnia, depression, PTSD, and OSA.

I don’t put too much stock into a lot of research, and there are many topics on weighted blankets, so use your own judgement.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...kKGBmDUxhI
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ll be searching for a weighted blankie with my hero Juan Valdez the coffee farmer on it. Cool
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2019, 11:06 AM)Traumer Wrote: Anyone use weighted blankets in addition to their cpap treatment? I've been using the Airfit F20 for over a year and using a weighted blanket and sleep has been pretty great.

How do you wash a weighted blanket?  Would it ruin my washer?
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife is a very capable seamstress. She made her own wedding dress for our wedding. She's also very much into quilting. I don't know much, if anything, about weighted blankets though. 

She's made some quilts that were quite large and heavy. Some of them involved jean fabric from old, worn-out, blue jeans. I recall those quits being heavy. Not sure if they were as heavy as a weighted blanket though. 

Can anyone further elaborate on the benefits of a weighted blanket? Just exactly what does it do to make one sleep better? Is it a physical or maybe an emotional thing? 

If it makes it harder to move around in your sleep, I think I'll take a pass.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2019, 11:39 PM)Cpapian Wrote: How do you wash a weighted blanket? 

With Heavy water?   Thinking-about

Sorry!  I just couldn't resist.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 114 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 186 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,320 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 793 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 986 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 678 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,147 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.