Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weird Event at Night
Weird Event at Night
Okay - this one is weird.   Looking for any crazy ideas to explain it - I've already tried just about everything else there is to try.

During sleep, I wake up about 3 hours in, feel like I an having a major event of some sort.  Veins kind of burning, fingers, toes, arms, legs tingling, chest not sore, not really pressure or pain but feeling odd...

Pulse & blood pressure normal; oxygen levels normal; blood glucose on the high side for 4+ hours after a meal (120 but a1c is only 6.2); and all of my recent blood panels have come back pretty much normal. 

Whatever it is, it used to happen infrequently - kind of like random central apnea events where I'd awaken feeling like I wasn't breathing.  But now this is several times a night.

APAP reports a normal night, about 2 AHI; no weird central or periodics. 

I'd suspect an anxiety issue - but life is good... however, in the morning is my throat is a bit dry; and my voice has gone quite hoarse - lasting all day. 

Hoping someone has had similar and found a doc that explained it; or even fixed it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weird Event at Night
Maybe Acid reflux.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Not ruling it out, but ENT said throat shows no sign of it... cord area and esophagus look healthy. ENT recommended a voice coach... lmao.

Some of this is coincidental to a diet change... seems it is more severe/frequent since I started losing weight. But the problem existed before the change.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Okay - this one is weird.   Looking for any crazy ideas to explain it - I've already tried just about everything else there is to try.

Maybe someone will come through with something other than what I think as I am NO DOCTOR.
More questions than answers.

Quote:During sleep, I wake up about 3 hours in, feel like I an having a major event of some sort.  Veins kind of burning, fingers, toes, arms, legs tingling, chest not sore, not really pressure or pain but feeling odd...

Are you a Diabetic?  Type 2 or 1?  Overweight?  Does it feel like someone has stuck a lot of little needles into your legs and arms?

Quote:Pulse & blood pressure normal; oxygen levels normal; blood glucose on the high side for 4+ hours after a meal (120 but a1c is only 6.2); and all of my recent blood panels have come back pretty much normal. 

Try eating a bit earlier, try cutting down on sugar type foods including the ones where sugar in hidden (I know it is not easy with some foods).
Do you get any strange noises in the head? (NO not interested if you hear voices) Grin

Quote:Whatever it is, it used to happen infrequently - kind of like random central apnea events where I'd awaken feeling like I wasn't breathing.  But now this is several times a night.

Post some data so others can have a look at the data.  It might be you are slowing down your breathing, almost ready to have a central event, but not quite getting there, just a thought, but I have caught myself doing this and woke up in a panic.

Quote:APAP reports a normal night, about 2 AHI; no weird central or periodics. 

Post some charts, just next few nights, hopefully with you waking in a panic ones.

Quote:I'd suspect an anxiety issue - but life is good... however, in the morning is my throat is a bit dry; and my voice has gone quite hoarse - lasting all day.

I suspect you need a bit more humidity, but more to the point you might be getting mouth leaks.  However, if your throat is dry as well, increase the humidity.

Quote:Hoping someone has had similar and found a doc that explained it; or even fixed it.

Remember it is not normal for people to have air under pressure pushed into their airways, so if you become half awake, your brain might that a fight or flight response and pump in loads of adrenalin ready to fight or run!
This might mimic a panic attack, it is almost, but adrenalin would be pumping through you.
Your heart will speed up, your legs will get ready to run, arms ready to fight and your whole body ready to react.

Before you were diagnosed you might have had the same, but as you might have been a lot more tired, it might not have been so noticeable!   Just a thought.

I am no doctor, so I might just be talking total crap! Rolleyes
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
See what happens if you change the humidity level.

Also, look at your waveforms to see if you have inhibited breathing that's not registering as full-on "events".

Other than that, get your physician's input. A heart issue could cause a weird feeling, not necessarily the stereotypical chest pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2017, 05:58 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: See what happens if you change the humidity level.

Also, look at your waveforms to see if you have inhibited breathing that's not registering as full-on "events".

Other than that, get your physician's input. A heart issue could cause a weird feeling, not necessarily the stereotypical chest pain.

Palpitations
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Have played with humidity without effect.  

Heart rate and BP are normal - rate perhaps a bit low at 57 to 58 while this is happening.  But my heart rate has always been slower than most due to 5-10 miles runs every day. Yeah - I had apnea as a 17 year old skinny kid (remained untreated for many decades).  Could be a heart valve issue ... but see next line w.r.t oxygen.  Blood pressure has been climbing, but nothing outrageous: no 200/100 readings, lol. 

Charts show no abnormal events anywhere near when I wake - not even mask leaks.  Blood oxygen strip also not showing anything anomalous. 

All the docs claim I am not actually diabetic - a couple have gone so far as to classify me as pre-diabetic when my A1c hit 6.4.  My blood glucose is running high,  fasting level about the normal postprandial norm, but I don't feel things like this while I am awake or after meals when my glucose levels spike normally.  Also, nerve conduction studies show no nerve damage. 

I suspect mouth breathing ... but can't verify it.  Maybe I'll set up my video camera.

Anyhows - I have a few doctors flummoxed with this.  My 98th percentile thoughts are something going haywire glandularly: thyroid kicking out hormones at the wrong time, or something similar.  But all the panels have come back normal - though blood is always drawn when I am feeling fine.  Its really getting old -- being so tired and fatigued every single day is taking a toll - can't live life well this way.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a shot in the dark.
It could be your circulation is bad during the slow heartbeat episodes.

Another is afib. Your heart beat and bp can be normal but your circulation horrible along with sometimes an odd chest sensation.

You'd need a multi day holter monitor to wear to catch it.
Unless your actually in Afib at the time an EKG etc won't show it.

Just a thought.

I have the tingling burning numb etc but mine is due to spinal damage and laying in the wrong position. Which changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe you are just getting a bit more sensitive to things while waking, the brain and nervous system can play strange tricks on you, however, we shall see how things play out.  Filming yourself might show up something that happens just before it happens.  Who knows, if nothing shows, maybe get a heart monitor to put on while you are sleeping.
I am not going to offer to sit and watch you while you are sleeping, it is to creepy fr one thing and I might fart and suffocate you Big Grin

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I've thought of running to the ER to get an EKG - but by the time I am up and dressed I'm feeling almost normal (just dead tired).  

By the way: my brother died of heart burn that lasted a few days, so I am sensitive to heart issues that don't feel like heart issues.  I've also had a couple events where I'd swear my heart was going bonkers and docs all claimed I was fine: aka Anxiety Attacks; but those were a decade back when I was working and presenting technical jargon to halls of 1000 people. Today my biggest concern is what to eat for breakfast.

Maybe I'll spool up a visit with a cardio doc and get a more current assessment...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 26 2 hours ago
Last Post: cps22
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 192 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 398 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,663 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 291 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 329 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.