Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weird Gurgle Sound In Tubing
Weird Gurgle Sound In Tubing
Good morning! Happy Friday!

Last night (night 3) looks good AHI- and large leak-wise (.93 and 1), but had an issue and I'm not sure what to make of it.  I woke up around 4am, re-positioned myself, and I began to hear a weird gurgling sound coming from the tubing.  I tapped the tubing and wiggled it around,  but couldn't make the sound stop. The noise prevented me from going back to sleep, so I just took off my mask and got up.  I'm assuming the gurgle is to related to excess moisture, but unsure how to solve the problem. My humidity is set at 2, and my temp. at 72.
Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Thank you!
--Leslie

"It will all be fine in the end. If it isn't fine, it isn't the end."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weird Gurgle Sound In Tubing
Are you using a heated hose?  
Sounds like you are experiencing rainout.  Using a heated hose usually solves this issue.

If you already have a heated hose, try putting a soft fleece hose cover on it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2017, 07:19 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Are you using a heated hose?  
Sounds like you are experiencing rainout.  Using a heated hose usually solves this issue.

If you already have a heated hose, try putting a soft fleece hose cover on it.

Rain-out is a condensation thing because the temperature of the room was lower than the tube? That makes sense. I'll get a hose cover. Thank you!
--Leslie

Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure you do not overfill the humidifier tank. And, it is best if the machine is slightly lower than the surface upon which you sleep. That permits any water to drain back to the tank.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2017, 07:38 AM)justMongo Wrote: Be sure you do not overfill the humidifier tank.  And, it is best if the machine is slightly lower than the surface upon which you sleep.  That permits any water to drain back to the tank.

Interesting point that makes sense. My nightstand does sit higher than the mattress. Perhaps I can put my machine in the lower drawer to lower its level relative to the mattress. I am careful about the water level, filling it only to just below the max line. Thank you for the tip!
You guys are the best  Smile
--Leslie

Post Reply Post Reply
I would concur with Opal on the heated hose. It solves most problems with Rain out and condensation in the tube. It seems you are using a relatively low humidity/temp setting and still getting a lot of condensation which suggests your room is a lot colder than the air in the hose, or the humidity level where you live is relatively high.

Two other things you could try (on top of the suggestions from Rose and JM) are to raise the temp in the room, or turn off humidifier and just allow it to provide passive humidity. Passive humidity is where you put water in the tank but it isn't actually heated. The air is humidified by passing over the water vs actively heating the water to provide water vapor.
Post Reply Post Reply
As you gain confidence in adjusting settings, you may also have the option to adjust the amount of humidity and temperature of the hose.

On ResMed machines, if you go to manual control of the humidity, you can adjust both temp and humidity to how you like it and where it won't develop rain-out issues. Generally speaking, the more humidity you want/need, the warmer you need to run the heat setting to minimize the potential for rain-out.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2017, 07:32 AM)rooy1960 Wrote: Rain-out is a condensation thing because the temperature of the room was lower than the tube? That makes sense. I'll get a hose cover. Thank you!

One other thing you can to is make sure the tube runs up over your head from the machine and then down to your face.  That way any condensation will run back down into the humidifier.

If the tube runs down and then back up water can accumulate in the lowest part and eventually start to block airflow, thus the gurgling sound.

Heated hoses help prevent condensation by heating the walls of the tube - they don't affect the air temperature in the hose significantly.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2017, 07:44 AM)rooy1960 Wrote:
(05-05-2017, 07:38 AM)justMongo Wrote: Be sure you do not overfill the humidifier tank.  And, it is best if the machine is slightly lower than the surface upon which you sleep.  That permits any water to drain back to the tank.

Interesting point that makes sense. My nightstand does sit higher than the mattress. Perhaps I can put my machine in the lower drawer to lower its level relative to the mattress. I am careful about the water level, filling it only to just below the max line. Thank you for the tip!
You guys are the best  Smile

I keep my unit in a lower drawer with a 2-inch hole in the back of the drawer case, through which I route the tube and power.  This makes the machine absolutely quiet, and avoids the possibility of pulling it down.  It also means the hose is routed upward, so if water were to be in the tube, it would quickly drain back. 

Get the hose cover anyway. It makes it much more comfortable.  If you leave the CPAP on top of the table, use something to suspend the hose higher, like tying to the headboard or a Hose Buddy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 180 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 189 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,660 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 287 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 209 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 604 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.