Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weird breathing issue
Weird breathing issue
I notice this weird breathing issue I get sometimes on CPAP I will be breathing normally and suddenly I take a huge breath like I just got dunked in very cold water, it doesn't happen very often but it is unnerving, does anyone else get that?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weird breathing issue
(12-07-2015, 06:00 AM)napnaptime Wrote: I notice this weird breathing issue I get sometimes on CPAP I will be breathing normally and suddenly I take a huge breath like I just got dunked in very cold water, it doesn't happen very often but it is unnerving, does anyone else get that?

Yes, I don't know why, but I do the same thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Only when I get dunked in cold water. Are you dreaming?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2015, 02:20 AM)DumfriesDik Wrote: Only when I get dunked in cold water. Are you dreaming?

No I am fully awake when it happens it doesn't happen often.
Post Reply Post Reply
My speculation is that you may breathe rather shallow. That builds up a CO2 excess; and kicks in your central ventilator drive to take a deep breath. Just guessing.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2015, 07:51 AM)justMongo Wrote: My speculation is that you may breathe rather shallow. That builds up a CO2 excess; and kicks in your central ventilator drive to take a deep breath. Just guessing.

I wonder would that be causing me to wake up at night without realising?
Post Reply Post Reply
"I wonder would that be causing me to wake up at night without realising?"

If that is causing the deep breath, yes it sure could. You usually breath more slowly and shallower asleep.

look at the volume data and see if you are getting a large increase in volume just before you wake up. If you don't know when you wake up (on the graph) next time stop the machine everytime you wake up
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes during PAP therapy I also feel I need to take a deep breath. Since starting PAP therapy a little over a month ago I've have become acutely aware of my breathing patterns. When I wake up in the night and things are going well with small even and relaxed breaths occasionally I feel the need to take a deep breath. This is probably more psychological than physiological.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2015, 10:42 AM)PoolQ Wrote: "I wonder would that be causing me to wake up at night without realising?"

If that is causing the deep breath, yes it sure could. You usually breath more slowly and shallower asleep.

look at the volume data and see if you are getting a large increase in volume just before you wake up. If you don't know when you wake up (on the graph) next time stop the machine everytime you wake up

I never remember waking up but the graph does show my mask pressure goes fuzzy and so does the flow rate. Here is an example of one of the events.

[Image: pb7YDuq.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
That fuzzy part is the S9 sending a 4 Hertz, 1 cm-H2O amplitude, pulse train down the tube to determine the type of apnea.
It's a SONAR type technique.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,073 8 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 102 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 190 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.