Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weird dreams and thoughts
RE: Weird dreams and thoughts
Hello Dawn. You ask some interesting questions! My unscientific answer is as follows. I had vivid, weird/strange sometimes pleasant dreams and occasional nightmares before BiPap and I have vivid, weird/strange, sometimes pleasant dreams and occasional nightmares while using my BiPap machine. For me anyway, not concentrating on the theme of the dream/nightmare works best for me. If it's a "scary" type dream, I usually go downstairs and make myself a cup of tea and then go back to bed.

As already mentioned by another poster, 'consistently' using your machine could possibly eliminate some of the more vivid/nightmareish type dreams. Best of luck!

Post Reply Post Reply
funny (to me) - my daughter doesn't much anymore, but used to sit up, move things around, talk, answer questions, walk through the house, discuss things with me and sometimes an imaginary friend. There have been times when she will hold up something [nothing] and move it, and eyes will follow it, put it down. Of course, she does not remember any of it when she awakens.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm new to the world of CPAP (about a week now) but I have had some pretty good results before with a couple of the conditions mentioned. For dreams, I take a 100 mg B1 capsule just before bed and it has stopped the dreams pretty much. As far as nasal congestion, the solution that works for me is Mucinex. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's good to hear others have had the experience of bad or disturbing and weird nonsensical dreams. I seem to have stopped having them during the 11 nights on CPAP so far. In that 11 nights, I can't remember having any dreams.

I've read that those that talked / walked in their sleep when young are more susceptible to having OSA. I myself did both for years when young perhaps age 8 to early teens. Used to get up and appear awake, race around the house and speak to my parents who I scared a lot while doing this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started having more vivid dreams when I started CPAP. (8/11/15) I thought it was because I was finally getting good REM sleep. I'm lucky that mine are not bad. Sometimes I've actually woke up and gone back to sleep hoping that the dream would pick up where it left off. I won't go in to any details but I will say one thing...Johnny Depp. That is all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use to think I was having weird dreams, then I realized that the dreams were normal and I was the one weird. Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
hey mzdawn, (also zonk,)

Here's an interesting thing a sleep tech told me about OSA and dreams, particularly nightmares... he said that during sleep apnea our bodies respond to the lack of oxygen in much the same way they would respond to exertion, panic, claustrophobia, or other stresses that induce erratic breathing and accelerated heartbeat in waking situations.

When an apnea chokes off our air, our sleeping body reacts by gasping, deep breathing, accelerated heartbeat, in essence physical panic responses. His theory was that when this happens it is not uncommon for our brains to come up with dream scenarios that correspond to what's happening in our bodies. So people wake up from a dream or nightmare in which the activity they are dreaming about is consistent with what is physically happening in their bodies, and they actually are out of breath, heart beating rapidly, feeling panic just like they did in their dream. He suggested that recurring nightmares can sometimes be caused by sleep disorders such as OSA.

I don't recall any discussions about this on apneaboard before, so it will be interesting to hear other perspectives on this from members and professionals here.

I can say that I have had an increase in dreams I remember upon waking since starting CPAP therapy. One amusing one is about ten days ago I transitioned from FFM to P-10 nasal pillows. On the second morning I woke up from a happy dream that I was laying in tree-lined meadow looking up at a big golden retriever who was licking my nose. When I opened my eyes the sensation on my nose continued and it turned out to be the P-10 pillows.

So for everyone who is struggling with CPAP therapy, just think of it as a big lovable dog smothering your face with kisses. LOL.

And mzdawn, keep the questions coming, because you never know which ones are related to our common OSA experiences unless you ask.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
Before I started PAP therapy I used to have frequently recurring dreams of being trapped under water and holding my breath until I couldn't hold it any more and then allowing my self to breath in the water but it wasn't water it was air and all was well.
At the time I did not make the connection.

I no longer have that dream.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 33 6 hours ago
Last Post: cps22
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 192 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,664 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 291 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,748 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.