Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weird dreams anyone?
Weird dreams anyone?
So I got my machine from the VA about 2 months ago and 75% of the time I end up pulling it off in the middle of the night. This is very frustrating, i have used the nasal pillows, full face, and just nose to see if that made a difference.

I don't know if this is possibly a reason but when I dream, that i can remember, every time I open my mouth (in my dream) i just blow air. I just remember being really frustrated and then I wake up with the mask on the floor...

I was hoping this would subside after a month...maybe six months?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weird dreams anyone?
Welcome to therapy. It goes with the territory. However, it gets better. Some faster than others. I'm going on 9 months and still have weird dreams and events. But it is much better than the alternative.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone ever told you that you talk in your sleep? It sounds to me like you start talking in your dreams and then the air rushes out your mouth (though that should not happen with the full face mask). I can see that provoking your brain into ripping off the mask. You might try a chin strap and see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
These lucid dreams remind me of when I was a child and learning that the toilet I saw in my dreams was a trick. I suspect there is a way you could train your subconscious to recognize that the "breathing dream" is a trick as well, and learn not to remove the mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, sounds like you are trying to talk in your sleep. The chin strap will help until you get used to it all. Put the hose under your pillow or hook it somehow so that when you take the mask off, it can't go far at all. The sound of the rushing air will wake you and you can put it back on. And vivid dreams when we first get the CPAP is very, very normal. Our brains are having fun (and probably revenge) with the new deep sleep we are finally getting.

I can usually tell if something is up with my sleep because I will start having bizarre dreams again. But I can manipulate them, like I could before CPAP.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Greenguy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had some really vivid dreams ever since switching to the cpap
Post Reply Post Reply
Well at least your not having a nightmare of being squeezed by an anaconda when in reality the hose wrapped around my neck one night....almost destroyed the machine thrashing around trying to get away from it.....lol
Post Reply Post Reply
I figured out even before the sleep study got started that I was going to need a full face, the study tech brought in a nasal mask for me to try a machine (it was a split night study, and as expected I ended up on the machine halfway through the night) and the pressure popped my mouth open.

It sounds like you should probably stick to full face, maybe try different full face masks until you find one you like. You could try the chinstrap route, but if you're trying to talk, that will probably make your dreams even less pleasant.

I take mine off in my sleep less these days, it still happens occasionally. When I do, I actually seem to gently remove it, place it beside the bed, and turn off the machine in my sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had some dream issues for the first 8 months of therapy, some of it was because of the short sleep sessions I had before starting therapy.
They normalized over time. I have been on therapy for a year now and once I became accustom to the symbiote on my face at night. Dreaming return to normal

Give it some time, my friend Sleep-well
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 31 5 hours ago
Last Post: cps22
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 192 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,664 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 291 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Weird breathing flow Rich66 1 298 01-09-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.