Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weird flow graph during a 17 second CA
RE: Weird flow graph during a 17 second CA
Thank you for the info. I will work to get a copy of the full titration after my shoulder surgery today. I do know for a fact that the sleep doc is planning to have me test to come up with better settings as he doesn't believe in perfect settings from one night in a strange bed. His first step is getting medicare to allow the machine,and, if I am sure that I want a certain machine, he will tell the DME to get it for me. Someone smarter than I needs to pick 'ONE' machine. Do all ASV machines do a backup breathing rate? Is that a default setting?

@Vaughn watch for a small package coming your way too!
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2014, 06:35 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Don't they have to add something for the backup breathing too?

The backup rate on the S9 VPAP Adapt will be automatic, meaning it will be based on your recent respiration rate.

On the PRS1 BiPAP autoSV Advanced the backup rate can also be automatic, or it can be set to a fixed backup rate such as 12 breaths per minute.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the specs as written, and assuming they mean EPAP/minPS/maxPS, they essentially specify a fixed bi-level machine...
one pressure (settable) for EPAP,
one pressure (Settable) for IPAP (EPAP + PS).

I am concerned that the DME may not feel "legally covered" to give you an Adapt or even a VPAP of any sort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2014, 07:55 AM)jcarerra Wrote: With the specs as written, and assuming they mean EPAP/minPS/maxPS, they essentially specify a fixed bi-level machine...
one pressure (settable) for EPAP,
one pressure (Settable) for IPAP (EPAP + PS).

I am concerned that the DME may not feel "legally covered" to give you an Adapt or even a VPAP of any sort.

May need to add something like "Backup RR automatic" or better yet add specific model desired.

Having a range for EPAP (even a small range) will give us more information (namely, we will be able to see when the machine is raising EPAP to better treat or avoid obstructive events).

Having a range for EPAP might also allow a lower average EPAP pressure, which might lower the amount of air swallowing which occurs. Excessive air swallowing often becomes a major issue when the PS automatically increases while treating centrals.

Of the machines which have backup rate capability, I think only the ASV machines can be set to auto-adjust EPAP within a range. For example, I think the Non-Invasive Ventilator machines like the S9 VPAP ST-A and PRS1 BiPAP AVAPS automatically adjust PS to maintain a target alveolar tidal volume (needed when muscle weakness and lack of strength to breathe is an issue) and can treat central apneas, but can use only fixed EPAP.

I think the ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt would likely be quieter than the PRS1 BiPAP autoSV Advanced, and would allow your present humidifier to be used.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 81 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 250 4 hours ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 37 7 hours ago
Last Post: cps22
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 308 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 112 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,610 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.