Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weird issues
Weird issues
I'm trying out a CPAP machine. The other night it was blowing out lots of water, like when I took it off it left a little puddle on my bed. Is that normal?

Also - and this is a big one - it seems to be affecting my voice. When I talk it's real deep, almost impossibly so, and even whistles as the air passes over my windpipe. Is this normal?? Has anyone heard of this?

Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weird issues
Your humidity is either set too high or you are getting rain out ( condensation caused by air being warmer than the room). You can turn the humidity down or you could add a cozy to your hose or you may need to do both. I have a heated hose which reduces the rain out problem.

I don't know anything about your second problem. Hopefully somebody will chime in here knows more.

Welcome to the board!
Post Reply Post Reply
Neither problem is normal. Water could be from an overfilled humidifier, or running the humidifier at a high setting in a cold room with no insulation on the hose. I would bet is is just over-filled. I've never heard of voice changes.

You're "trying a CPAP". Do you have a prescription or have any idea what pressure you have it setup to deliver?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a ResMed AirSense10 Autoset. Yes I have a prescription. It has a feature where the salesman can control it remotely and make gradual changes.

I was going to start using it for life in the hopes it would mitigate the risk of having another stroke (I'm 41), but this voice thing is a real problem. It's like I have a permanent frog in my throat.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to talk to your doctor about it. He can check to see is there is some disease process that is going on incidental to your CPAP use. You can't assume that just because something happens right after you start CPAP use that it was necessarily caused by it. Maybe you just caught a cold or a chest infection around the time you started CPAP therapy. If so it might be real important to get it diagnosed and treated.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2015, 06:53 PM)robotman Wrote: It's a ResMed AirSense10 Autoset. Yes I have a prescription. It has a feature where the salesman can control it remotely and make gradual changes.

I was going to start using it for life in the hopes it would mitigate the risk of having another stroke (I'm 41), but this voice thing is a real problem. It's like I have a permanent frog in my throat.

You have a good machine that is data capable. You might want to install Sleepyhead, http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

It's possible you have some air leaks that are drying your mouth and throat. Do you know what the pressure settings are?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board, robotman

for water issues ... http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...verywwhere

for voice issues ... maybe to do with running the machine on empty water tank, humidity level settings, or/and high leak
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think it's the water tank, it's only half full, and it's been working fine up till now.

I suppose it's possible I came down with a contagion or something and that my raspy voice is just coincidental, but it really does seem like my windpipe is expanded or something and the air whistles as it goes over it when I talk sometimes. Quite frankly, it scares me a little, like maybe it's permanent.

I don't know anything about the pressure etc, that's all taken care of the salesman remotely.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2015, 08:14 PM)robotman Wrote: I suppose it's possible I came down with a contagion or something and that my raspy voice is just coincidental, but it really does seem like my windpipe is expanded or something and the air whistles as it goes over it when I talk sometimes. Quite frankly, it scares me a little, like maybe it's permanent.

You should get to your doctor ASAP, if only to get reassurance that what you are experiencing is not some disease. If the Doctor says you are OK, then I'd get in touch with the folks who sold you your machine and ask for their advice. But see the Dr. first.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2015, 08:14 PM)robotman Wrote: I don't know anything about the pressure etc, that's all taken care of the salesman remotely.

We tend around here to recommend strongly that you don't just leave it in the hands of the equipment provider. We tend to think you will need to get proactive and keep track of how you are doing, and even take control of setting pressures with, of course, some consultation with your equipment provider.

He or she doesn't see you every day, and you do. As well, you are the person most concerned with your own health. No matter how concerned the salesmen are they can't possibly be as concerned with you as you are.

I believe you have a data capable machine and you should download the SleepyHead software and take a look at your figures every day. After awhile you'll begin to recognize patterns. You can upload your data to the board here and get some good suggestions.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 49 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 184 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 190 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 156 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 214 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.