Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weird issues
RE: Weird issues
But it's an all-day thing. Even when I laugh "ha ha ha" it comes out "whistle-ha whistle-ha whistle-ha". I'm sick of this. I don't even know if quitting the cpap will fix it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2015, 02:23 PM)robotman Wrote: Ok, so I just came back from the doctor about the voice issue. She looked in my mouth and in my ears, didn't see any problem. It's annoying, it's like a whistling sound coming from my windpipe. I never had it before the cpap machine. Man, I hope something changes...

Did she check your lungs? The only time I've ever whistled on breathing out was when I had bronchitis.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep she checked pretty thoroughly with a stethoscope. Nothing wrong with my lungs.

My theory is that maybe the cpap machine stretched open the top of my windpipe or something? Of course, I don't know.

Nobody has any comments on the data I posted?
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Robotman

Sorry I can't add anything about the whistling, except that I think it very unlikely the PAP pressure has done any structural damage. Although the pressure can feel pretty severe, it's not enough to blow up a toy balloon, so it's very unlikely to damage your windpipe. I suspect as others have said that it's more likely due to humidity (or lack of it).

Looking at your data, it seems last night was the best to date, and there's a gradual improvement from when you started. You are experiencing a reasonably high number of clear airway apneas (though probably not clinically significant). This is not uncommon with a fairly high pressure such as you have. You might be able to reduce these by reducing your EPR setting from 3 to 2 (or lower). The EPR momentarily lowers the pressure as you exhale, and there's a thought that it removes too much CO2, which fools your brain into not sending the "breathe now" signal to your lungs. EPR is regarded as a "comfort" setting and your DME won't get upset if you adjust it.

It would be good to see a bit more detail - can you post a screenshot of your daily page from Sleepyhead? It should show events, flow, pressure, flow limitations and snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: rwIMv57.png]
[Image: STxKLE8.png]
[Image: awLjK3J.png]
[Image: xPZoHMz.png]
[Image: xPZoHMz.png]
[Image: WzHR2RT.png]
[Image: 6YsaBuG.png]
[Image: 9PkITnX.png]
[Image: IwdZVWV.png]

Hopefully that covers it. Smile

It still makes air droplets sometimes. So annoying.

I took a couple days off from using the cpap a while ago to see if it would stop the whistling problem, but unfortunately it didn't. I'm not sure how the salesman is making changes to settings on here, it seems a bunch of stuff is on auto, but is changed nevertheless.
Post Reply Post Reply
The air blowing into your throat and lungs irritates the mucosal lining and can cause you to build up phlegm as the bodies natural reaction to an irritant.

Yes, talk to your doctor about this, and track the color of any sputum that is coming up. This will help your doctor figure out if this is normal, or something that needs to be addressed.

Check your humidity level too. I had a similar issue and went to my doctor and this is what I was told. Luckily for me, it went away after the first ten days. I did take some herbs for my lungs, and turned up the humidifier to 3 instead of 1. And, I still watch my sputum for color changes if applicable which the doctor asked me to do and let them know if changes occur.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dagmar. I'm really hating not being able to talk, and am seriously considering quitting cpap forever.

There's no mucus coming up (that I know of) and the doctor said everything was ok yesterday. Supposedly the humidity is pretty high, but I don't know, that's just what I got from what the salesman said.

Like, I can't talk. This blows.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 05:34 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Sorry I can't add anything about the whistling, except that I think it very unlikely the PAP pressure has done any structural damage.

Even at a pressure of 20 cm H2O there is a difference of only two percent between the outside air and the pressure inside your airway from the blower, assuming you are at or near sea level. I agree that this is extremely unlikely to cause damage to your respiratory system.

I wonder if menthol losenges would help? I use "fisherman's friend" losenges for hoarsness and it helps, though it isn't a cure.

If I had continuing hoarsness I would pester my doctors until they either fixed it or declared it psychosomatic, in which latter case I'd see what I could do about getting some psychotherapy. Tension and worry can cause some pretty strange symptoms and we sometimes need a little help getting it under control. Having been in psychotherapy a couple of times in my life I'd have no hesitation about getting some more if I needed it and could afford it.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
Also the use of certain inhalers can cause hoarseness if you don't rinse your mouth properly after each use, as I discovered for myself.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2015, 03:44 PM)robotman Wrote: But it's an all-day thing. Even when I laugh "ha ha ha" it comes out "whistle-ha whistle-ha whistle-ha". I'm sick of this. I don't even know if quitting the cpap will fix it.

Hi robotman,
It may be helpful to request to see an ENT for an endoscopy to make sure vocal cords are functioning ok. I had to have one for issues I was having from CPAP.
Was it your GP you saw or sleep Dr.?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 223 Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 45 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 55 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 114 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 196 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 159 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.