Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weird leak readings
RE: Weird leak readings (sleepyhead)
I'd think you'd have to shave the mustache for a nasal mask to seal well. of the 6 or 8 masks they tried on me in the sleep lab, only the resmed airfit p10 nasal pillows sealed adequately due to my beard and mustache. other bearded folks report some success with other masks but this one isn't affected by my facial hair. worth trying when you can. you'll still have mouth breathing if you're so disposed. for that people use tape, the tongue suck method, chin strap or the one that works best for me: a soft cervical collar to keep mouth and lips (mostly) closed. lots of discussion about these methods on this site if you search for them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2019, 01:14 PM)sheepless Wrote: I'd think you'd have to shave the mustache for a nasal mask to seal well.  of the 6 or 8 masks they tried on me in the sleep lab, only the resmed airfit p10 nasal pillows sealed adequately due to my beard and mustache.  other bearded folks report some success with other masks but this one isn't affected by my facial hair.  worth trying when you can.  you'll still have mouth breathing if you're so disposed.  for that people use tape, the tongue suck method, chin strap or the one that works best for me: a soft cervical collar to keep mouth and lips (mostly) closed.  lots of discussion about these methods on this site if you search for them.

I know there is a lot of info about that, but beard wasn't my focus. I wanted a better leakage reading and go from there. But I guess I'm already getting to the root of it anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
your resmed machine is supposed to handle leaks under 24 L/m. most of yours appear to be well under. I'm not sure what you mean by wanting a better leakage reading.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2019, 02:05 PM)sheepless Wrote: your resmed machine is supposed to handle leaks under 24 L/m.  most of yours appear to be well under.  I'm not sure what you mean by wanting a better leakage reading.

Open the first image and compare the two sides. Are you able to analyze graphs and observe huge variances?
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks but I think I'll pass.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak rate is not a problem, you mouth breathing is. Try a soft cervical collar (Releaf is popular) or an anti-snoring collar (Dr Dakota is popular).

Your leak summary shows that the leaks have grown in the last weeks, this could just be a sign that your mask/mask cushion is in need of replacement. Masks do wear out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2019, 04:05 PM)bonjour Wrote: Your leak rate is not a problem, you mouth breathing is.  Try a soft cervical collar (Releaf is popular) or an anti-snoring collar (Dr Dakota is popular).

Your leak summary shows that the leaks have grown in the last weeks, this could just be a sign that your mask/mask cushion is in need of replacement.  Masks do wear out.

Dude, air leaking through the mouth is part of the leak rate, don't make me laugh.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak rate is mostly not high enough to be a problem, but you are definitely showing signs of significant mouth breathing, not mask leaks.

While mouth breathing is "leakage" there is not enough to impact the ability of your machine to detect and react to events.  These are two different things.  We are not looking at mask fit type of issues here.  These are two totally different problems.  You were talking about leaks, not mouth breathing.  So go ahead and have a good laugh. Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
You’ve gotten a lot of good advice:

Replace your mask.
Try replacing it with a ResMed P10.
Try using a neck collar to help keep your mouth closed.
Try adjusting your humidifier settings.

Your leaks are not interfering with your apnea treatment, but they may be contributing to the nose problems you described.

After you take these steps, let us know how it’s going. If you continue to have problems, people might be able to make additional suggestions, depending on what your experience has been. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
leaks by themselves aren't likely to be a direct cause of your complaints. post some oscar charts according to the instructions in bonjour's signature. you may be having flow limitations or palatal collapse or something else entirely that doesn't show up in ahi and that may or may not be related to leaks. no suggestion this is your problem but by way of example, I believe my sleep is disrupted by periodic limb movements. the jolts might occasionally cause mouth leaks but the arousals, most of which I am unaware, are more likely to be reason I continue to be tired etc even though my ahi is 0.22. post the oscar charts for better responses.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 3 11 minutes ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 234 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 149 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 190 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.