Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weird problems falling asleep
Weird problems falling asleep
Hi all.

I'm into week three of my CPAP usage. My AHI has dropped to 0, at least according to the machine, but I am waking up.... alot, and then I have a very hard time falling back to sleep because I am so focused on the breathing.

Anyone else have that issue?

It's like the machine is making the breathing all the more obvious and I can't fantasize my brain away from focusing on it. I just bought a little CD player for the bedroom and am going to try some relaxation tapes tonight, but if any of you have some experience with this, I'd love to know how you resolved it, if other than just giving it time.

Thanks!

P.S. I listed Sleepyhead as my software, but I just downloaded it and have yet to download info from my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weird problems falling asleep
Hi eaglett1111, First, WELCOME! to the forum.! Since you haven't been at CPAP therapy for very long, I think if you just give it time, it might bet easier for you. Hang in there, CPAP therapy can take LOTS OF PATIENCE.! Keep checking back for more suggestions to help you. Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Which is your machine? SH doesn't support the 6o series yet
Whats the leak? High leak over prolong period of time can affect the accuracy of data and quality of sleep.
At first I couldn't keep the mask on for long before taking it off till got a new nasal mask "Activa LT", chinstrap helps keep mouth closed and prevent therapy air escaping, leak under control and turned EPR off as it didn't suited my breathing rhythm
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2012, 03:58 PM)eaglett1111 Wrote: Anyone else have that issue?

I did. I've been on CPAP therapy for just over nine months. It took me several weeks to get to what I now call the "crossover point". What I mean is that at first it interfered with my sleep. A lot. I kept waking up. I was getting better quality sleep in many ways, but in many other ways it was worse because the machine kept me from getting to sleep and staying asleep. Eventually you reach the crossover point where the benefits of the machine outweigh the negative issues.

In other words, those problems fade with time. I know it's hard, but just try to tell yourself that what you're experiencing is normal, and that it will pas with time.

If necessary, you may have to ask your doctor for some sleeping pills to get you over this hump.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at the model number. It's either 450P or 460P. If the latter, you'll have to wait until a future version of SleepyHead supports that machine.

You can scroll through the on-screen menu and look at the percent time in large leak.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, common problem. Instead of trying to ignore your breathing, try to focus on it instead, finding a rhythm you find relaxing and just fall into it. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes not.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone! Yes, I do now realize that SH will not work for me. A poster sent me a link to another download that should work.

It is always good to find out other people have had the same issues you have. It helps me work things through and not stress that somehow my "unique" problem needs a "unique" solution. Just a matter of time.... breathe.....
Oops. The dreaded asteriks. Sorry. Didn't know that was a "no-no."
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you mind PM me the link to the software so I can pass it to others who need it . Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
PM sent. Let me know if you don't get it. First time using that feature on this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
White noise may be the answer to your problem. I installed an air cleaner in the bedroom, and the sound of the fan from the air cleaner drowns out the breathing sound from the CPAP machine. Neither my wife nor i can even here the CPAP, and the white noise of the fan is welcome rather than annoying.

I hope that this helps. Good luck, and stick with it......It's worth it!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 166 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 44 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,015 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,874 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 196 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.