Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Welcome Aboard!
Welcome Aboard!
Brand new user here - I never even knew that I snored, and because I was living alone for several years post-divorce, I didn't suspect OSA, even though I was very tired during the day, had afternoon fatigue, etc. A new girlfriend let me know in no uncertain terms that I was very loud and that she was worried, so I downloaded SnoreLab, which was scary to listen to, and tried a couple OTC remedies (nasal strips, mouth guard, chin strap). They made me quieter....but I think that was because I was breathing even less. 

So, did a sleep study, and had an AHI of 41.7. I've been prescribed a CPAP and can't wait to start getting on top of this. 

I'll look through the threads for newbie advice, but look forward to sharing and contributing.

taylorgtr
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Welcome Aboard!
Welcome!

When you get used to the cpap and get your settings adjusted you will likely feel a lot better (and avoid a bunch of health issues)

Be sure to read the thread about choosing a machine- don't let the DME give you one that isn't OSCAR compatible. 

Download OSCAR. Read the wiki articles
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Welcome Aboard!
Welcome to the forum!

Short notes==
We call a machine without a card a "BRICK", and I've had two of them. They report hours of use, so you can prove compliance, or non compliance.
Compliance is 4 hours a day, with AHI less than 5.0
That's not enough to make you feel well. And it's not enough for you to manage your own healthcare.

My first two machines were made by Philips Respironics, because that's what the sleep doctor/clinic sold to me.

I now use ResMed machines. I've had two of them. A cpap and an apap. Each has had an SD card so I can see my progress and treatment results using OSCAR which is supported here. OSCAR is run on your machine. You download information from your SD card to your OSCAR running on your computer.

Please know that previous Respironics machines were/are recalled. And they have made it really hard to decipher the information on the SD card. People here have worked really hard to read that information.

I have always chosen to buy the best machine I can; I buy it with a humidifier, and a heated hose. after all if we're hooked up to a machine it should be as comfortable as possible.

Hope this helps!
Brazen has provided really helpful suggestions!

DaveL
Toronto
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.