Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Welcome to Alaska...er.. I mean Illinois brrr..
RE: Welcome to Alaska...er.. I mean Illinois brrr..
While it wasn't nearly that cold down here, it was cold enough for us rednecks to end our sentences with, "eh?". . . It's cold outside, eh?
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(02-01-2019, 01:16 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: While it wasn't nearly that cold down here, it was cold enough for us rednecks to end our sentences with, "eh?".  .  . It's cold outside, eh?

Haha, that's pretty good. Well, just color us blue from the cold and call us Bob & Doug McKenzie.

Coffee
Dave

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional direction or advice. Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a good first step. My recommended first steps include getting good walking shoes, 1 great cup of coffee, and a good GPS.

Wiki Info for Beginners
Organize Charts
Post Reply Post Reply
Two winter coats
Two scarves
Ski gloves
Thermals
Insulated boots

Aside from my fingers having some problems (Raynauds), I was OK for short distances and a drive in Ohio on Wednesday and Thursdayl

Please organize your SleepyHead screenshots like this.
Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
And why do you want to wear all that when it is 55F outside?
Fred Bonjour - Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter 
OSCAR

Download OSCAR
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Mask Primer
Dealing with a DME
Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
SuperSleeper ~ Yes indeed it was very cold here in northern Illinois last Wednesday, January 30, 2019. We had actual temperatures of -35 deg F with a wind chill of -55 deg F. Our home is heated with electricity and we lost our power at 5:30 a.m. and I know this because my cpap quit working. Inside our home it got down to 45-50 deg in spite of having a roaring fire in our fireplace. We managed to cook breakfast in a cast iron skillet in the fireplace. Mind you it was not a beautiful looking breakfast, but it was hot. We were without power for the better part of a whole day. I felt sorry for the ComEd guys working outside during the bitter cold weather.

It took almost 36 hours to get temperature inside our house back to 65 deg after power came on. Brrr, it was cold and I hope it is a very long time before this ever happens again. I now appreciate a warm house and a hot cup of coffee a whole lot more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad you survived that and good you had a fireplace at least.  45 degrees is getting pretty darn cold for inside the house!  

One of the first things we did when we bought this house was to install a wood-burning stove.  Glad we did, and even with our hot water heat furnace running full blast and a hot fire in the wood stove, the night it got down to -35 below, the max we could get the house temp up to was 68 degrees.  And our wood stove is a rather large one that we usually cannot start up until it gets down below 20 degrees F outside... otherwise it drives us out of the house it gets so warm.  But that night, even that stove plus the furnace could barely keep up.

Having hot water heat, I'm always afraid of the pipes freezing and bursting during a really cold snap, if the electricity goes off.  I need the electricity on in order to have the water pump circulate the hot water throughout the house.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply
Gramma & SS,

Glad you both survived that cold weather safely. With temps like that, I'd be looking for penguins to be dancing in the front yard. Throw in a Coca-Cola bear too.

Around 68 degrees today in S. C. (Franklin Co.) PA. Crazy weather. Coffee
Dave

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional direction or advice. Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a good first step. My recommended first steps include getting good walking shoes, 1 great cup of coffee, and a good GPS.

Wiki Info for Beginners
Organize Charts
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Sorry for the double post, my pc is being naughty this morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Penquins could have a playground in our yard and anyone can ice skate in our driveway. We had 3/10" of ice yesterday. Not good driving conditions at all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tornado in Illinois me50 9 1,517 07-17-2015, 10:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.