Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Welcome to my life - Last Night...
RE: Welcome to my life - Last Night...
(03-11-2014, 01:17 PM)DocWils Wrote: Peter,

The other thing is to watch what you eat in the evening - keep phlegm producing stuff out of the diet, as it only makes your breathing more difficult, no matter what type of mask you use.

DocWils
Where would I find what foods are phlegm producing? I am being curious not critical.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2014, 03:58 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(03-11-2014, 01:17 PM)DocWils Wrote: Peter,

The other thing is to watch what you eat in the evening - keep phlegm producing stuff out of the diet, as it only makes your breathing more difficult, no matter what type of mask you use.

DocWils
Where would I find what foods are phlegm producing? I am being curious not critical.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

i know that dairy, caffeine, foods with gluten in them (breads and pasta) can cause mucous. not too sure what else would.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chin straps and I have a long and dark history - in a word, NO!

And yes, I do fear that taking the time (and $$) to start trying some different masks is in order - such a pity, now that I've found both pillow and nasal masks I really like

Last night with the FFM on, AHI was only '3' and my leak rate was a whooping '10'Lpm
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2014, 09:19 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Chin straps and I have a long and dark history - in a word, NO!

And yes, I do fear that taking the time (and $$) to start trying some different masks is in order - such a pity, now that I've found both pillow and nasal masks I really like

Last night with the FFM on, AHI was only '3' and my leak rate was a whooping '10'Lpm

I can't remember your history with chin straps....remind me
Post Reply Post Reply
Peter, I also could not adapt to chin straps. I can't stand to have my face covered, plus it makes it hard to make adjustments, or scratch your nose or anything. Anyway I could not find one I liked.

I have mentioned several times on this forum about the success of using a chin pad. You can fabricate it from many different things. Initially I tried many things, but the key is to make something with the right firmness and diameter. You might try a couple of wash cloths rolled up like an enchilada. Place it between chin and chest. It takes some trial and error but beats the hell out of a chin strap.

Currently I am using something called a Cool Bandana. I took out the stuff inside (little freezer packets) and filled with dry uncooked rice. I can tie the fabric ends behind my neck (loosely) to keep it in place Nothing covers my face. So now the only thing on my face is my nasal pillow. In the beginning I thought I was sentenced to a full face, so I am happy and AHI's are less than 1.0 now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2014, 09:39 AM)drgrimes Wrote: Peter, I also could not adapt to chin straps. I can't stand to have my face covered, plus it makes it hard to make adjustments, or scratch your nose or anything. Anyway I could not find one I liked.

I have mentioned several times on this forum about the success of using a chin pad. You can fabricate it from many different things. Initially I tried many things, but the key is to make something with the right firmness and diameter. You might try a couple of wash cloths rolled up like an enchilada. Place it between chin and chest. It takes some trial and error but beats the hell out of a chin strap.

Currently I am using something called a Cool Bandana. I took out the stuff inside (little freezer packets) and filled with dry uncooked rice. I can tie the fabric ends behind my neck (loosely) to keep it in place Nothing covers my face. So now the only thing on my face is my nasal pillow. In the beginning I thought I was sentenced to a full face, so I am happy and AHI's are less than 1.0 now.

glad that you found something that works for you. do you ever change out the rice?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2014, 01:51 AM)me50 Wrote:
(03-11-2014, 09:19 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Chin straps and I have a long and dark history - in a word, NO!

I can't remember your history with chin straps....remind me

%yrs going to a dental school as a kid, massive overbite, springs in my mouth for 3yrs to pull my lower jaw forward - every chin strap I have tried just pulls my lower jaw backwards, and reminds me of dental school and generally makes me feel bad - I'd rather deal with full-face masks instead.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
When I fall deeply enough asleep, it isn't that my jaw drops, it's that my lips loosen and I hiss all night (wind tunnel effect)

Post Reply Post Reply
Had another great (CPAP-wise) night last night, AHI 2.7 on the FFM, but eyes are grainy this AM...

Post Reply Post Reply
ME50, no I never thought to change the rice. Since it never touches me, i'm not sure if I will ever need to.

Peter, I also had problems with air blowing/blubbering out my lips. BUT when I kept using the chin pad after a while that has stopped. I think when your jaws are good and closed, there is less of a tendency to lip blubber. Just for the hellofit give it a try and see what happens.

My chin pad, besides keeping jaws closed, seems to push up on my chin skin, thus pushing my bottom lip a bit more against the top lip.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 444 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,256 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 Reptile 13 12,417 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 490 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Airsense 10 end of life JamesW 3 674 12-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  [Treatment] Waking up worse despite multiple changes, life feels awful davigalindo 10 995 10-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Motor Life Exceeded, at 21,900 hours Aircurve 10 Vauto Sleeprider 52 7,478 10-08-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.