Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Well Rested Newbie
RE: Well Rested Newbie
Since you're sure that the ramp feature is disabled, bump up the start pressure to a 7 and see if that helps. I use no ramp and if I am at less than 8, I feel smothered.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: I have a lot of long hair and usually sleep with a loose and low ponytail. The bands on the headgear are fighting with the ponytail. I tried moving it up my head which seems to work but then the straps have to straddle either side of the hair making getting up in night complicated. Fishing that hair between the straps is a challenge in the middle of the night. Any ideas?

I notice you use the Airfit P10 which is the same mask I use. I don't have a ponytail but I do get up during the night. Rather than take off the mask, I uncouple the hose on the mask from the long one that is attached to the machine, so I don't have to fiddle with the pillows or the straps when I get back into bed. Sometimes if I look into the mirror on my trip to the loo and back, I get a bit of a shock, Bigwink but often I'm too sleepy to mind that.
I turn off the air when I get up and start it up again when I'm back. How that works depends on the machine. On my old machine, I used to hit a button to stop the airflow, and then when I reattached the hoses, airflow started up again when it detected my breathing.
On my new machine, I have to hit "stop" and "start". For now I have the ramp setting on. However, the ramp time is flexible on this new machine so it ramps up quickly. The only time I had that "air deprivation" feeling was on the second night of my sleep study, where they started it low and I had been used to not having the ramp feature on at all.
Post Reply Post Reply

(04-17-2015, 03:16 PM)sansnap Wrote: I guess using the term "ramps up" was confusing. I didn't use the ramp function at all but maybe the machine just begins at 6 and then goes higher as needed?

The "default" for the ramp is "on," starting pressure of 4. That's the problem. When you first turn on the machine, it's in ramp. The idea of the button is if you want to turn ramp on again during the night you hit the button. But in your case you really want the ramp set to "off."

You should be able to do that yourself. If you need to, download the clinician manual from the top of this page.

About the pony tail: It does seem to me that you would have to thread one strap over and one under for it to be comfy. What you can do in the night when you take a bio break is disconnect the hose from the air line but leave the mask on. That way you won't have to re-thread the pony tail. Just make sure the cat doesn't see you walking down the hall because it could result in extreme cat-stress.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 09:55 PM)AirSign Wrote: Rather than take off the mask, I uncouple the hose on the mask from the long one that is attached to the machine, so I don't have to fiddle with the pillows or the straps when I get back into bed. ....

The second night of the sleep study I was able to uncouple the hose easily but there was a cool quick disconnect. On my new mask (which is the same model I used at the lab) there is no such disconnect - instead it's a rather tight pressure fit and getting it undone and then reconnected in the dark and sleepy-ish seems very difficult. Is there a quick disconnect option I can add to my setup?

Quote:The only time I had that "air deprivation" feeling was on the second night of my sleep study, where they started it low and I had been used to not having the ramp feature on at all.

I had the deprivation sensation at the study as well, but the tech attributed it to the super low settings they started with. Now I'm wondering about this.

Does anyone know if there might be any insurance related issues if I changed the low setting from 6 to 7? Are those changes tracked on the memory card? I can deal with a grumpy lab tech but really want my insurance to pick up the tab for all this. Insurance is federal Blue Cross BTW.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 10:09 PM)retired_guy Wrote: .... could result in extreme cat-stress.

Too late this happened last night when my dog thought I might be a low down, kibble stealing alien and growled and barked at me for all she was worth as I was testing out the fit. When I took off the mask she sheepishly licked my toes and did her level best to apologise and tell me I was truly fetching in my new get up. She even sat up in the "can you throw it so I can chase and retrieve" pose.

Not happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 12:19 PM)sansnap Wrote:
(04-17-2015, 11:50 AM)trailrider Wrote: Hello Sansnap!
I know houw you feel at 1. I suggest changing your lower pressure to 7. I could not stand mine at 6 and felt like I was starving for air. I also turned my ramp off, and set EPR to 3. My comfort was immediate the next night.

Disable ramp? The sleep tech has told me that the machine only ramps when I hit the ramp button (which I did not do).

The manuals seem to agree with this.

(04-17-2015, 08:00 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Since you're sure that the ramp feature is disabled, bump up the start pressure to a 7 and see if that helps. I use no ramp and if I am at less than 8, I feel smothered.

OMM

(04-17-2015, 10:09 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(04-17-2015, 03:16 PM)sansnap Wrote: I guess using the term "ramps up" was confusing. I didn't use the ramp function at all but maybe the machine just begins at 6 and then goes higher as needed?

The "default" for the ramp is "on," starting pressure of 4. That's the problem. When you first turn on the machine, it's in ramp. The idea of the button is if you want to turn ramp on again during the night you hit the button. But in your case you really want the ramp set to "off."

I'm a bit confused…. Neither the owners or provider manual for the Respironics suggest ramp is automatically on at start like the ResMed--only that it's available with a push of the button.

OMMOHY, can you confirm it does ramp without pushing the button? Thanks.

BTW, I got tired of long hair and donated my pony tail to Locks of Love. Got me a free haircut.
Post Reply Post Reply
sansnap,
Request the Clinicians Manual for your machine. Check top of page. In that menu, you have the option of turning ramp on or off. Turn it off. The ramp does not automatically work unless turned on.

Also, bump your bottom pressure up to 7. That will eliminate that feeling of not getting enough air when first turned on. The EPR is a pressure relief setting when exhaling. I keep mine on 2, but you may feel you do not need it.

Now for insurance purposes.....the only thing they are looking for is compliance. What they look for is 4 hours minimum use per night for 30 consecutive days within the first 3 months. They could care less about your pressure settings. Now your sleep tech may get a little out of sorts, but it's your sleep and comfort that matters, not theirs.
:grin:
Good luck with your therapy, it sounds as if you will do just fine.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2015, 05:38 AM)iSnore Wrote: BTW, I got tired of long hair and donated my pony tail to Locks of Love. Got me a free haircut.

Now THAT is commitment. We've got some folks around here that don't keep up with their therapy because the color scheme of their mask doesn't match their socks.

But you have sacrificed your pony tail to the cause. Actually, to a couple of causes.

My goodness.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sansnap, how are you doing? Did you get your manual and check the settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for asking Smile

Last night I tried doing something different with the ponytail (using a big hair clasp to strap it down) and turned down the humidity a bit. This later change was a mistake and so tonight it goes back to it's initial setting. The hair thing was a good change.

Yesterday I called the sleep lab and they implored me to try no changes for a few days and see if I adapt and then they suggested the humidity change. So last night, night two I still woke refreshed and feeling pretty good but with a dry nose. The same feelings of being smothered on start up still exist. I'll try one more night - but tomorrow will change the lower pressure setting if there is no improvement tonight.

Overall, this is still an excellent change over no C-pap but I just want it to be completely comfortable - I think it's possible to get there (channeling the Little Engine That Could and hoping for a good result....)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 267 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.