Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Well Rested Newbie
RE: Well Rested Newbie

Snap, I don't think increasing the pressure will help you at all.

When you first turn on the machine, the ramp runs. It starts at 4. That's why you feel starved for air. That's also why when you wake up at night and think you're doing well, but get up then restart the machine, you are once again starving for air.

I know the DME told you that ramp only happens when you hit the button. But that's not the case.

Turn the ramp feature off, and you will be fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 09:55 PM)AirSign Wrote:
Quote: I have a lot of long hair ...

I notice you use the Airfit P10 which is the same mask I use. I don't have a ponytail but I do get up during the night. Rather than take off the mask, I uncouple the hose on the mask ...

I also have the P10 and while no ponytail, longish hair...

I put the bottom strap behind and the top strap in front with the part that goes to the nose and put it all the way over my head onto my neck. Then i slide the top strap back so that it pulls back the "bangs" adjust it all around the ears and nose til it is on right. I sometimes rip it off b4 thinking (although i seldom get up anymore... w00t!) and that process is so easy that i have no trouble getting it back on while half asleep Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
An update - just finished my 4th night. Still fighting the ramp issue but the rest is all good.

Interestingly I'm finding that I am sleeping about 7 hours now instead of the 9 I used to need. This is a big deal. I get 2 hours more in my day, 14 hours each week that I can do stuff, have fun, read books, work or any other dang thing that strikes my fancy. It's amazing to consider this...

2 hours per night that I reclaim as alert time
14 hours per week
56 hours per month
672 hours per year.
That's a WHOLE month!

I get to a whole extra month each year to do stuff!! What could you do with an extra month? The possibilities are astonishing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 10:59 AM)sansnap Wrote: What could you do with an extra month?

1. Visit Lincoln City OR for the "Great Oregon Coast Garage Sale." (1 day)

2. Visit Seattle and go to that neat oriental market down by the train station & look at all the "Hello Kitty" merchandise. (3 days)

3. Visit Portland OR and try to find the Ikea store without a GPS locator. (1 day)

4. Same as above, but find the "Sweet Tomatoes" restaurant for lunch. (1 day)

5. Same as above for pretty much everything in Portland. (infinite)

6. Visit Bandon on the Beach Oregon for some really great power shopping. (2 days)

7. Visit Winchester Bay, OR for a nice slice of apple pie with cheddar cheese on it. (1 day)

8. Sleep.

............... as you say, the possibilities are endless.
Post Reply Post Reply
we PNW types are taking over the board. bahahahahahaha!

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes but please leave the dampness back in PNW. Big Grin Even though we could use some of it in dried up Socal.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
More questions... I have a follow up appt with the sleep lab in a few days and was wondering if you could help me understand my sleep study numbers.

I am seeing a bunch of posts that refer to various metrics but don't see them listed this way on my report.. here's what I have:

TIB - 460
TST - 304
Sleep onset - 21 mins
Sleep efficiency - 66.1%
% inter Sleep/wake - 31.1 %
REM onset - 390
AHI - 75.4 /hour
RERA - 97.1/hour
RDI while on back - 104.0/hour

Oximetry data:
Average O2 awake - 96
Average O2 in REM - 95
Average in nonREM - 93
SAO2 @ lowest was 75
Mins below 90% - 34.1

Questions:
What is RERA?
Do the O2 averages add up/seem right to you?

Post Reply Post Reply
As AHI's are reporting on the average per hour number of actual apnea events, RERA is telling you about "Respiratory Event Related Arousals," which typically are apneas that never actually had the opportunity to grow up.

The Repiratory Disturbance Index (RDI) is probably the most useful number you have. This considers apnea events and rera events and calculates how many times per hour is your sleep being screwed up.

The medical goal usually cited is to get the AHI below 5. Depending on the machine a person has, that's probably the number that will be focused on. But the combination of whatever that number is plus the rera is important.

Your O2 numbers (dropped to 75, below 90 34.1 minutes of the night) seem appropriate to me. Those things will vary depending on the patient however.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 05:53 PM)sansnap Wrote: More questions... I have a follow up appt with the sleep lab in a few days and was wondering if you could help me understand my sleep study numbers.

I am seeing a bunch of posts that refer to various metrics but don't see them listed this way on my report.. here's what I have:

TIB - 460
TST - 304
Sleep onset - 21 mins
Sleep efficiency - 66.1%
% inter Sleep/wake - 31.1 %
REM onset - 390
AHI - 75.4 /hour
RERA - 97.1/hour
RDI while on back - 104.0/hour

Oximetry data:
Average O2 awake - 96
Average O2 in REM - 95
Average in nonREM - 93
SAO2 @ lowest was 75
Mins below 90% - 34.1

Questions:
What is RERA?
Do the O2 averages add up/seem right to you?

RERA are events that did not last long enough to score as an apnea. Means you roused and started breathing before 10 seconds. RERA can be very damaging to a goods nights rest, and I am jealous of you for having them on your report - my S9 autoset lacks that info.

I don't use an oximeter, but I would be concerned about 75, unless you know it fell off of your finger.

Post Reply Post Reply
oh - wait. that is your sleep study not your treated levels. lol!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 110 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 186 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 172 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 494 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 189 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 281 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 263 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.