Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Well Rested Newbie
RE: Well Rested Newbie
(04-20-2015, 06:25 PM)DariaVader Wrote: oh - wait. that is your sleep study not your treated levels. lol!

Right - the only info I got from the second night (where they wake you up to try various options) was that they got my O2 up to 98 percent. That was just an offhand comment from the lab tech however - I have no printout but they must have something like this available...

I'm asking because I am absolutely amazed at how good I feel after just a few nights with the new machine and I'm trying to wrap my head around just how big an improvement there might be or how bad my sleep really was. When I picked up the machine the Doc kept shaking his head and saying things like - "really? you don't get sleepy driving" and "104 is the highest number we've seen". It was odd.
Post Reply Post Reply
going from 34 miin below 90 to an average of 98% oxygen has got to feel good... and your AHI/RDI are significant, indeed... I see that the worst number is when on your back... I never could sleep on my back (cant breathe. lol.) so my sleep study doesnt have a back sleeping figure - but I came up as moderate to mild and it still makes a huge difference!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Careful of bragging about how good you feel Sansnap. Your significant other may come up with a longer to-do list!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 06:56 PM)DariaVader Wrote: going from 34 miin below 90 to an average of 98% oxygen has got to feel good... and your AHI/RDI are significant, indeed... I see that the worst number is when on your back... I never could sleep on my back (cant breathe. lol.) so my sleep study doesnt have a back sleeping figure - but I came up as moderate to mild and it still makes a huge difference!

HIs RDI on his back was 104 but if you add his AHI to his RERA per hour it comes to much more than that (RDI>170). <Memory is shot.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I recall only one other person posting recently that their numbers were so high in the sleep study. That poster said the doctor wondered why he was still alive. Amusing.... you think?!? Anyway, it sounds like you are in great spirits and doing excellent.

My machine regularly scores RERA events that are 20 to 60 seconds long, often not in connection with other type events. Somehow the machine is sensing by breathing pattern that I have had "respiratory effort related arousal."

Anyway your raw score shows you did have a lot of sleep disturbance. It is a real blessing not to have to sleep like that anymore.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Time for an update.. It's been about three weeks now since beginning therapy and today I had my first follow up appt at the sleep clinic.

They read the SD card ( I really have to learn to do this) and gave me a print out of the results. They also changed the settings on my machine. They changed from a 6-12 range to a 9-12 pressure range and then set a ramp option beginning at 7.5. The pressure change was based on the 3 week reading and I am looking forward to the change in the beginning pressure. The opti-start thing was driving me mad even with ramp disabled - sometimes the starting pressures seemed very low. i still don't fully understand the opti-start thing - the sleep tech tried hard to explain but failed utterly..

Todays numbers are a radical change from my initial sleep study :

Average hours per night = 6.29
Auto c-pap mean pressure = 9.5
Peak average pressure = 10.5
Average time in large leak per day = 3 secs.
Average AHI = 0.6

Difference between AHI of 75.4 and 0.6 = big difference. Finally living up to my username, sans nap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2015, 11:42 PM)sansnap Wrote: Finally living up to my username, sans nap.

Or not! Spoken too soon...

One night on new pressure and I am a mess. I kept waking up, feeling like I was in a hurricane. My ears got that airplane altitude feeling when I swallowed last night, my eyes are puffy today and I am exhausted. Today I'll be taking a nap - after I go back to sleep tech and discuss a change. This is quite discouraging.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to hear that. I'm surprised changing your start pressure made that big of a difference. And curious to find out how you and the sleep tech resolve it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2015, 03:31 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: Sorry to hear that. I'm surprised changing your start pressure made that big of a difference. And curious to find out how you and the sleep tech resolve it.

The resolution was that today the settings were changed to 7.5 - 12 and I'll see how it is tonight. On the positive side, all this prodded me into downloading Sleepyhead and taking a look at my data so far. there's a lot I still don't understand but the difference between last night with the big pressure increase and the preceding ones was notable.. Here are screenshots from two days - the first on the original 6-12 pressure and then last nights (9-12)

[attachment=1466] [attachment=1467]

I don't understand why a higher pressure give worse results but it seems to.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's interesting results. Raising the floor of your range seemed to help reduce flow limitations and snoring a lot. But introduced hyp's and obstructions.

I hope your middle of the road setting for the floor works out. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 483 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.