Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account


New Posts   Today's Posts

Well, `ell!
#1
Exclaimation 
As I was eating my lunch, I opened the day's mail. Along the usual "junk" was a package containing two of the 9 medications that I receive via UPS/USPS, every 90 days. Having nothing better to do, I mistakenly read the "Medication Information" sheets that came with the pills. . .

Before I continue, I need to point out that I've been on these pills for several years, taking them just before bed as prescribed by the docs. The three pills that I take every night are kept in weekly pill minder along with the bulk supply, in a drawer in the bathroom. The other three prescription pills are kept in a separate weekly am-pm-minder, in a kitchen cabinet. (Knowing how everyone thinks, I'll tell you that the seventh med is a topical gel that gets applied once a day to my thighs; the eighth is insulin that gets injected once a day; and the nineth is another injection that helps control my diabetes and appetite).


Anyway, here's what I gleaned from the info sheets:
One of the pre-bed meds, whose name looks like it means water-chloride is a diuretic and due to increased need to urinate should be taken in the morning - hmmm, sort explains the middle-of-the-night trips to the bathroom. Bigwink

The other med, which is used to treat asthma, has a name that I thought started with MONK.....anyway, it's to be taken right before going to bed. No big deal, it's one of three that I take at bed time. Except now I learned that you're not suppose to store it in the bathroom! Annoyed-and-disappointed

Moral of this: If you've gone this long without reading the info sheets, don't start reading them now. Oh-jeez Makes me wonder what else I'm doing wrong..... Unsure
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINIONS ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY STATEMENTS OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
#2
(02-17-2015, 04:42 PM)PollCat Wrote: As I was eating my lunch, I opened the day's mail. Along the usual "junk" was a package containing two of the 9 medications that I receive via UPS/USPS, every 90 days. Having nothing better to do, I mistakenly read the "Medication Information" sheets that came with the pills. . .


Quote:Before I continue, I need to point out that I've been on these pills for several years, taking them just before bed as prescribed by the docs. The three pills that I take every night are kept in weekly pill minder along with the bulk supply, in a drawer in the bathroom. The other three prescription pills are kept in a separate weekly am-pm-minder, in a kitchen cabinet. (Knowing how everyone thinks, I'll tell you that the seventh med is a topical gel that gets applied once a day to my thighs; the eighth is insulin that gets injected once a day; and the nineth is another injection that helps control my diabetes and appetite).

Sounds like Androgel, Lantus and Victoza (or perhaps Byetta.)

Quote:Anyway, here's what I gleaned from the info sheets:
One of the pre-bed meds, whose name looks like it means water-chloride is a diuretic and due to increased need to urinate should be taken in the morning - hmmm, sort explains the middle-of-the-night trips to the bathroom. Bigwink

Hydrochlorothiazide ? Yep. diuretic.

Quote:The other med, which is used to treat asthma, has a name that I thought started with MONK.....anyway, it's to be taken right before going to bed. No big deal, it's one of three that I take at bed time. Except now I learned that you're not suppose to store it in the bathroom! Annoyed-and-disappointed

A steroid?

Quote:Moral of this: If you've gone this long without reading the info sheets, don't start reading them now. Oh-jeez Makes me wonder what else I'm doing wrong..... Unsure

My doc has always given me the insert to read before we agree to try a med. He even gave me his spare copy of the in print PDR. Of course, you have to weigh the risk to benefit tradeoffs. All meds have a list a side effects that can be scary.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
#3
The side effect that gets me is "Possible Death". Heck, that's why I am taking the medicine, so I won't experience that.
______________________
Useful Links -or- When All Else Fails:
Posting SleepyHead Charts in 5 Easy Steps
Robysue's Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply


#4
(02-17-2015, 05:01 PM)justMongo Wrote: Sounds like Androgel, Lantus and Victoza (or perhaps Byetta.)

You are very close, Mongo. SHa_clap2

Here's the actual list: Androgel 1.63, Lantus, Victoza, Hydrochlorot, and Montelukast which is a "leukotriene receptor antagonist" . Eat-popcorn

Post Reply Post Reply
#5
(02-17-2015, 05:20 PM)sgearhart Wrote: The side effect that gets me is "Possible Death". Heck, that's why I am taking the medicine, so I won't experience that.

Yes, but they do tell you that if you should experience this side effect to let your Doctor know right away.
Post Reply Post Reply
#6
Here my thought..if you dwell on the side effects, you won't take the medicine.
The side effects could be worse than the ailment itself!
Crazy
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.




Post Reply Post Reply


#7
We should probably take a poll. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
#8
I was given a new medication recently and I picked it up today. The pharmacist said to take it at night before going to sleep because one of the side affects is drowsiness and that another one is insomnia. Okay? At any rate, I think to myself, why would I want to take a new medication at night where if I have a side affect, nobody would know it. Seems more logical to take it during the day and see how I react to it and then switch to the nighttime schedule if all goes well for a few weeks. I dunno.
Post Reply Post Reply
#9
(02-17-2015, 09:52 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: We should probably take a poll. Wink

Oookay, Sleeprider, you've made it onto my "_____-list" for users who (as my father used to say) are "cruisin' ". Whistle
----

As I was going to bed last night I realized that I'd left a 10th med off the list prescriptions. I use 2-puffs of Nasonex up each nostril to help keep the polyps at bay (having your nasal passages reamed out every several years is not fun).

I was going to comment on the cost of these 10 scripts, but in the interest of not starting a debate/fight, I'll just say thank goodness for my health insurance. Banana Banana
Post Reply Post Reply


#10
Instead of spreading gel on my body, I give myself a 1/week shot of testosterone cypionate IM 0.35 cc 0.7 ml. You are already familiar with using needles, so it wouldn't be too traumatic. MUCH less expensive than the proprietary gels and no risk to wife or children, and no need to time showers or time in the pool. I was pretty shocked last year when testing revealed a T level of 176, so this is the med I did not include.

I'm still sure there is a poll in here somewhere. Maybe if we dig in the litter.
Post Reply Post Reply


Forum Jump:

New Posts   Today's Posts




About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.

For any more information, please use our contact form.