Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Sex: Male

Exclaimation Well, `ell!
As I was eating my lunch, I opened the day's mail. Along the usual "junk" was a package containing two of the 9 medications that I receive via UPS/USPS, every 90 days. Having nothing better to do, I mistakenly read the "Medication Information" sheets that came with the pills. . .

Before I continue, I need to point out that I've been on these pills for several years, taking them just before bed as prescribed by the docs. The three pills that I take every night are kept in weekly pill minder along with the bulk supply, in a drawer in the bathroom. The other three prescription pills are kept in a separate weekly am-pm-minder, in a kitchen cabinet. (Knowing how everyone thinks, I'll tell you that the seventh med is a topical gel that gets applied once a day to my thighs; the eighth is insulin that gets injected once a day; and the nineth is another injection that helps control my diabetes and appetite).

Anyway, here's what I gleaned from the info sheets:
One of the pre-bed meds, whose name looks like it means water-chloride is a diuretic and due to increased need to urinate should be taken in the morning - hmmm, sort explains the middle-of-the-night trips to the bathroom. Bigwink

The other med, which is used to treat asthma, has a name that I thought started with MONK.....anyway, it's to be taken right before going to bed. No big deal, it's one of three that I take at bed time. Except now I learned that you're not suppose to store it in the bathroom! Annoyed-and-disappointed

Moral of this: If you've gone this long without reading the info sheets, don't start reading them now. Oh-jeez Makes me wonder what else I'm doing wrong..... Unsure

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-17-2015 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: Well, `ell!
(02-17-2015 04:42 PM)PollCat Wrote:  As I was eating my lunch, I opened the day's mail. Along the usual "junk" was a package containing two of the 9 medications that I receive via UPS/USPS, every 90 days. Having nothing better to do, I mistakenly read the "Medication Information" sheets that came with the pills. . .

Quote:Before I continue, I need to point out that I've been on these pills for several years, taking them just before bed as prescribed by the docs. The three pills that I take every night are kept in weekly pill minder along with the bulk supply, in a drawer in the bathroom. The other three prescription pills are kept in a separate weekly am-pm-minder, in a kitchen cabinet. (Knowing how everyone thinks, I'll tell you that the seventh med is a topical gel that gets applied once a day to my thighs; the eighth is insulin that gets injected once a day; and the nineth is another injection that helps control my diabetes and appetite).

Sounds like Androgel, Lantus and Victoza (or perhaps Byetta.)

Quote:Anyway, here's what I gleaned from the info sheets:
One of the pre-bed meds, whose name looks like it means water-chloride is a diuretic and due to increased need to urinate should be taken in the morning - hmmm, sort explains the middle-of-the-night trips to the bathroom. Bigwink

Hydrochlorothiazide ? Yep. diuretic.

Quote:The other med, which is used to treat asthma, has a name that I thought started with MONK.....anyway, it's to be taken right before going to bed. No big deal, it's one of three that I take at bed time. Except now I learned that you're not suppose to store it in the bathroom! Annoyed-and-disappointed

A steroid?

Quote:Moral of this: If you've gone this long without reading the info sheets, don't start reading them now. Oh-jeez Makes me wonder what else I'm doing wrong..... Unsure

My doc has always given me the insert to read before we agree to try a med. He even gave me his spare copy of the in print PDR. Of course, you have to weigh the risk to benefit tradeoffs. All meds have a list a side effects that can be scary.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-17-2015 05:01 PM
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

The side effect that gets me is "Possible Death". Heck, that's why I am taking the medicine, so I won't experience that.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
02-17-2015 05:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

(02-17-2015 05:01 PM)justMongo Wrote:  Sounds like Androgel, Lantus and Victoza (or perhaps Byetta.)

You are very close, Mongo. SHa_clap2

Here's the actual list: Androgel 1.63, Lantus, Victoza, Hydrochlorot, and Montelukast which is a "leukotriene receptor antagonist" . Eat-popcorn
02-17-2015 05:45 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(02-17-2015 05:20 PM)sgearhart Wrote:  The side effect that gets me is "Possible Death". Heck, that's why I am taking the medicine, so I won't experience that.

Yes, but they do tell you that if you should experience this side effect to let your Doctor know right away.
02-17-2015 07:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

Here my thought..if you dwell on the side effects, you won't take the medicine.
The side effects could be worse than the ailment itself!
Crazy
OpalRose

OpalRose
02-17-2015 08:54 PM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

We should probably take a poll. Wink

02-17-2015 09:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

I was given a new medication recently and I picked it up today. The pharmacist said to take it at night before going to sleep because one of the side affects is drowsiness and that another one is insomnia. Okay? At any rate, I think to myself, why would I want to take a new medication at night where if I have a side affect, nobody would know it. Seems more logical to take it during the day and see how I react to it and then switch to the nighttime schedule if all goes well for a few weeks. I dunno.
02-17-2015 10:52 PM
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

(02-17-2015 09:52 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  We should probably take a poll. Wink

Oookay, Sleeprider, you've made it onto my "_____-list" for users who (as my father used to say) are "cruisin' ". Whistle
----

As I was going to bed last night I realized that I'd left a 10th med off the list prescriptions. I use 2-puffs of Nasonex up each nostril to help keep the polyps at bay (having your nasal passages reamed out every several years is not fun).

I was going to comment on the cost of these 10 scripts, but in the interest of not starting a debate/fight, I'll just say thank goodness for my health insurance. Banana Banana
02-18-2015 09:47 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Instead of spreading gel on my body, I give myself a 1/week shot of testosterone cypionate IM 0.35 cc 0.7 ml. You are already familiar with using needles, so it wouldn't be too traumatic. MUCH less expensive than the proprietary gels and no risk to wife or children, and no need to time showers or time in the pool. I was pretty shocked last year when testing revealed a T level of 176, so this is the med I did not include.

I'm still sure there is a poll in here somewhere. Maybe if we dig in the litter.

02-18-2015 09:54 AM