Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Went to Cancun Mx. AHI dropped significantly?
Question 
Went to Cancun Mx. AHI dropped significantly?
AHI averaged 15 in January went to Cancun for 7days in Feb. and averaged 3 AHI. Where I live elevation 4200ft. Cancun is at sea level. What could be causing the dramatic change? Penny for your thoughts.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Went to Cancun Mx. AHI dropped significantly?
My AHI is cut in half when my sleep partner is out of town.

Perhaps the (what I assume is) lack of stress is helping you out?

I know the DreamStation says it adjusts for altitude. Does the machine you use do that? (I'm a newbie, so I don't know.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if my Resmed  Aircurve 10s adjusts to altitude. I slept with my wife and relaxed in the sun in my beach chair. I am retired, so no stress problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
In researching lung and tidal volumes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lung_volumes), I came across a possible explanation for you.  People at higher altitudes will have a higher tidal volume due to the lower O2 concentrations as opposed to being at sea level.  The increased respiratory effort at altitude may be partially responsible for the AHI increase.  If nothing else, it is a good article.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI goes way down when I go on a cruise.  But then again I have allergies to cats and when I go on a cruise, I get away from my cat.
I got my first (and only) zero on a cruise.

Salt air or allergies????
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Cancun equals lower AHI because of lower tidal volumes(decreased respiratory effort), sea level, less allergies, salt air, less stress. If these all help to reduce sleep apnea, then moving to the beach and less stress can go along way to improving my AHI problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wrestle with altitude all the time.  My ahi is very low at sea level and can go way up as I ascend.  I live at 6300 ft, and also spend time at >9000.  How your body responds to altitude is different than whether your machine is effective at altitude.  

Both Resmed and PR machines will compensate accurately up to 8500 and 7800 ft respectively.  Above those altitudes both companies say they will not guarantee therapy effectiveness.  I have found my Resmed air curve 10 vauto to be effective at 10,200.  

My doc has said to me that people's needs change based on altitude.  He told me a person who lives at 7300 ft may have complex apnea, but when they descend to Denver (5380) they only have obstructive.
Post Reply Post Reply
Harder to get sufficient oxygen at higher altitude (?)

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I had heard AHI increased at higher altitudes (we live at 500 ') and last June I had a chance to check that out.  We were camped at 5,000' and the first night I had a 4.89 AHI--CA's were way up.  I was running on my battery pack with no humidification.  I pulled out my little pulse oximeter (I have a tachycardia problem and carry one with me) and my normally high oxygen levels (98 average) were around 93.  I figured I was in for some bad nights. Three nights later I had a 0.0 AHI.  I'm not certain how to explain that.  The rest of the trip AHI's stayed in the 2 to 3 range.  I'm averaging .98 for the last 6 months according to SleepHead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your AHI attitude experience is very interesting. This weekend I am going to Los Alamos NM 7500ft, for two nights. Then I go to Albq. NM 5500ft. for one night. The next day I have an appointment with the University of NM Hospital Sleep Study Center for a follow up on the two sleep studies done in Roswell NM 4000ft. Hopefully I will get some answers at UNM. My cardiologist sent me to UNM for a second opinion, because he thinks my central apneas are secondary to my ischemic heart disease and because UNM is considered the best in NM. I will post the outcome of the visit,
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Both OA's and CA's Significantly Reduced, but AHI still far above 5. Tips? ooye 1 500 07-21-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense10 dropped in full sink shinnstoneer 2 565 01-04-2023, 10:07 PM
Last Post: shinnstoneer
  Making sense of significantly different leak rates verysincere 0 669 10-02-2021, 11:57 AM
Last Post: verysincere
Grin [Pressure] Dropped PSmin by 6 points Sach_nyc 13 1,195 07-27-2021, 12:19 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [Health] MAD and CPAP both cause dental side effects, MAD more significantly JoeyWallaby 0 799 02-28-2020, 02:06 AM
Last Post: JoeyWallaby
  Tidal Volume & Minute Vent. Significantly Lower magnetik 2 1,441 08-22-2018, 09:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Has anyone dropped a Resmed S10 and damaged it? Hellodare 6 3,736 04-13-2018, 05:52 PM
Last Post: cate1898

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.