Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Went to see my Sleep Specialst today....
Went to see my Sleep Specialst today....
I like my Sleep Doctor.

I saw him today for the second time since he prescribed my CPAP two and a half years ago. The appointment needed the 'download' so I took him the SleepyHead Report printouts and the equivalent Encore printout in case he wanted one the same as the Sleep Tech would have done.
Dr looked at the SleepyHead Printout and then at the Encore print - then put the Encore print in the bin and the SleepyHead print in the file saying how much easier the SH print was to get the info from.
He is really happy with me managing my OSA and my CPAP machine and gave me an appointment for my next appointment for 3 years time.

My Sleep Doctor might be a rare bird...

Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Went to see my Sleep Specialst today....
Hi Moriarty,
Just wanted to say you are very lucky to have a Sleep Doctor that cares.
I just saw my Sleep Doctor at his request for a 90 day checkup. I was excited to talk with him and brought with me SH and Encore printouts. My AHI has been on average 1.5 most nights, so I know CPAP is working. Anyway, he could have cared less about my printouts. I explained to him how I narrowed my settings from 4-20 to 8-15 and that my AHI has improved. He just shrugged his shoulders and said "whatever works." He then told me to come back in 6 months and hopefully come back 30 pounds lighter. I am well aware that I need to lose weight, but this Doctor is at least 300 pounds! Rolleyes
I left that Dr. visit feeling totally deflated and $185.00 poorer.
On the way home, I talked myselff out of feeling bad, because I know that with the help of all the knowledable people on this forum, you can take control of your own therapy!
Good luck to you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Moriarty,
Sounds like your sleep doc is a "keeper,," that's great to hear that he was so receptive to your SleepyHead reports and that you want to take control of your own therapy, WHOO HOO,! keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2015, 08:02 AM)roe1549 Wrote: Hi Moriarty,
I just saw my Sleep Doctor at his request for a 90 day checkup. I was excited to talk with him and brought with me SH and Encore printouts. My AHI has been on average 1.5 most nights, so I know CPAP is working. Anyway, he could have cared less about my printouts. I explained to him how I narrowed my settings from 4-20 to 8-15 and that my AHI has improved. He just shrugged his shoulders and said "whatever works." He then told me to come back in 6 months and hopefully come back 30 pounds lighter. I am well aware that I need to lose weight, but this Doctor is at least 300 pounds! Rolleyes
On the way home, I talked myselff out of feeling bad, because I know that with the help of all the knowledable people on this forum, you can take control of your own therapy!
Good luck to you.

I'm curious if you will actually be going back, and if so, why? Sounds like you've done a great job on your own.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck to you.

I agree as long as we have these good folks on this forum (who in my opinion know or share more information than my sleep dr.) who needs em!
I know I could loss weight, but I wouldn't let that doctor tell me that without giving it right back at him Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2015, 12:45 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
Good luck to you.

I'm curious if you will actually be going back, and if so, why? Sounds like you've done a great job on your own.

Sleeprider,
Thanks for the nice comment and NO!, I won't be going back. Doctor-no-get-it
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2015, 04:15 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote:
Good luck to you.

I agree as long as we have these good folks on this forum (who in my opinion know or share more information than my sleep dr.) who needs em!
I know I could loss weight, but I wouldn't let that doctor tell me that without giving it right back at him Smile

Well Yes, I did give it back to him. I asked him what diet he recommended, then I looked him up and down and said never mind! Laugh-a-lot
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I had to let mine go, too! Only thing he seemed excited about was seeing the back of my head, going out the door. Way more support on this site. Glad you have a great doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Moriarty,

Sounds like your sleep doctor is great, but it also sounds like you are doing great on your own! Do you really need to doc?

I feel like there are a lot of people in this forum more knowledgable than the average sleep doc.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 185 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 790 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,315 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 792 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 984 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 678 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.