Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What AHI can I expect with CPAP?
What AHI can I expect with CPAP?
Started APAP 10+ years ago. Original AHI from 1st sleep study 2005 was 49.
Continued APAP for 10 years and thought it was helping alot although I never was feeling very alert and always had felt tired in the morning even for years before I started CPAP. FInally went back to my sleep doctor late 2015 with some data from my machine and my AHI was still in the 10-15 range and he didn't like that too much. Had another sleep study and discovered moderate to severe RLS with virtually no obstructive apneas. So it was the RLS that was interfering with my sleep for along time. Now taking med for RLS and AHI is down to and averaging around 3.
Some nights still around 4-5 but averaging around 3. Is this about as low as it will go? I suspect AHI of 3 on CPAP (pressure 7 per my MD) and taking the oral med is a pretty good AHI. Cannot increase the dose of the oral med (ropinirole) any higher due to side effects etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What AHI can I expect with CPAP?
"Had another sleep study and discovered moderate to severe RLS with virtually no obstructive apneas."
Did you have any other type of apnea?

If you have no apneas, then why are you on CPAP? (Devil's advocate voice) You are recording an AHI of 3,4,5.. What type are being scored?
RLS disturbs sleep; but does not score as an AH event.

As to your present treatment, in my amateur opinion, it would seem adequate.
Could you have a lower AHI, probably yes; with an autoPAP.
Would it help you? Depends upon the question: How do you feel now?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What AHI can I expect with CPAP?
I'd agree with mongo in that it also seems to me your current treatment is working. Having your AHI under 5 is what I've been told is the treatment goal. Mine has shown variability from 3-4 down to 1 point something. I've heard that there is a link between state of mind and sleep quality, and I can see it in my own AHI reports (when mask leakage has not been a factor).
This suggests to me that you should see what happens over a longer time period. If your AHI doesn't drop below its current level, I don't think that would be a problem.

David
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night, don't know what to expect Albo1950 4 545 07-23-2023, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Albo1950
  What can I expect from the DVLA (UK) after reporting OSA? Quarky68 1 660 06-21-2023, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Kingsway
  What to expect from DME Sorfosh 10 1,077 03-24-2023, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Sorfosh
  Can use some advice on what to expect and what to do first. triemferent 15 1,630 09-27-2020, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  How soon to expect results Linnea 5 1,539 04-24-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Linnea
  What AHI figure should I expect to see? ghce 16 2,585 04-22-2018, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Apnea Infant
  spouse goes for sleep study soon...what to expect after? mavericktx 21 3,682 01-30-2018, 10:10 AM
Last Post: ghstudio

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.