Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What AHI figure should I expect to see?
RE: What AHI figure should I expect to see?
(04-20-2018, 08:40 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Sounds like your results at 13 cm pressure is doing pretty good.  What kind of EPR setting are you using?  What are your residual events, OA, CA or H?

My EPR setting is ramp only and EPR level is 1cm. Not sure what that means ? My understanding was that the ramp was only for a short time ( I limited it to 5 mins) prior to sleep. 
I need a better explanation of that if some one is willing.
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is exhale pressure relief. The options are OFF, Ramp Only and Full Time. You can then set the EPR pressures to provide 1-3 cm of pressure relief. If you have never tried EPR full time, give it a try. It really does nothing during ramp, but might make your night more comfortable. The risk is that is may increase CA events. You won't know unless you try.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2018, 06:30 PM)ghce Wrote: Is CA clear airway? is this a central event, still coming to grips with some of the terminology. My Clear Airway events are only a small ratio compared to OA and H and generally the OA is  more prevalent than th H events but it is still a moving feast when comparing the 3 with some times the H being dominant and other times the OA.

I am very relieved that the OA events now are of much less duration, prior to CPAP I spent most of the night not breathing with events being typically more than a minute 48 times and hour  lol,  even at 10cm on treatment I was still getting OA duration of upto 75 and 80 seconds with an AHI of 10 to 11. Thankfully now with an AHI of 0.5 to 2.0 the duration seems to be maxing out at 35 seconds but generally around 10 and 11 seconds duration.

In medical terms CA is Central Apnea. In SleepyHead terms CA is Clear Airway. Means the same thing, but I agree is confusing. Don't know why SleepyHead picked that name. If your CA event ratio is low, then CPAP should be quite effective for you. Since OA or obstructive apnea is a total stoppage of breathing I think they are worse than a H or hypopnea event, which is just a reduction in flow. I mainly focus on reducing OA events when making adjustments to the pressure settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to know, all my OA have been well below one for the last 2 weeks averaging around 0.5 except for last night when it shot up to 1.36, all of that was in one small block from which I awakened and found I had been sleeping on my back, normally the last decade or so I have been a side sleeper in an attempt to contain the apnea and snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
The name clear airway came from the machine makers not sleepyhead. It's because the machines can't tell if it's true Central Apnea or not. A Clear Apnea event can be caused by Central Apnea, but also holding ones breath and rolling over can also cause a Clear Airway event.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I guess Im one of the lucky ones. During my sleep test + titration over 15 years ago, I felt great from just 1/2 night of sleep -- spent entire time in REM sleep. Got machine several weeks later, and several days of REM sleep.  Then just "normal sleep.  In late March this year, I got my first new machine. ResMed Air 10 autoset, 11 - 20 cm set by me, no EPR. for three nights I again had tons of REM sleep. Now, back to Normal sleep. Tried Amara view, but it hurt my nose too much and leaked too much. Now using AirTouch 20 full face mask, leaks are normally under 20 (took a bit of adjusting).

Old machine was Fisher Paykel, much louder, and mirage quatro full face mask (tended to turn bridge of nose to hamburger at times if over tightened, which always happened when I replaced mask / head gear. Also had to use mask liners to stop "eye farts"). 

Love my current set up, using sleepy head, but not sure I understand it all. AHI has been under 5, normally under 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
I felt good on the morning of the sleep study despite being anxious about the event beforehand. The trains were upset due to engineering works and I had to walk a fair bit to the next station along the river Thames. Remember thinking that I would not have considered doing that if not for the CPAP therapy the night before of about 6 hours. My daughter noted I looked rested and my deeply lined eye bags had eased themselves somewhat.

However it took a couple of months before my own therapy was dialled in with the help of the gurus here on this forum.

Definitely upload some data here as all of us are different and our needs are individual to ourselves.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can Anyone Help me figure out what this is? jmperez1013 1 184 03-11-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 404 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help me figure out what I have? neopeius 0 276 09-19-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: neopeius
  First night, don't know what to expect Albo1950 4 572 07-23-2023, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Albo1950
  [Equipment] Help me figure out Resmed P10 problem rebean 4 562 06-25-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What can I expect from the DVLA (UK) after reporting OSA? Quarky68 1 702 06-21-2023, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Kingsway
Sad [CPAP] Hoping to figure out what is going wrong...Please help! (Data provided) Hopingforachange 0 357 06-01-2023, 05:29 AM
Last Post: Hopingforachange

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.