Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What AHI figure should I expect to see?
What AHI figure should I expect to see?
What AHI figure should I expect to see from a well sorted CPAP protocol?

I have been on CPAP for a month and a half and have upped the pressure 3 times since I started each time getting  worthwhile reduction in AHI from 9.5 to 11.5 at 10 cm 6.0 to 0.24 at 12 cm and now at the moment 1.5 to 0.63 at 13 though the average on the latter is closer to 1.00 over the last week and a half. 

Is this good or can I expect better, should it be much closer to 0.0 AHI? or to get closer do I need  different type of machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What AHI figure should I expect to see?
An AHI of 5.0 is regarded as fully treated, though most people target as low as possible. In my view it's not reasonable to expect 0.0 as even people who are non-apneacs have the occasional breathing event which would count as an apnea. If you're consistently getting an AHI below about 2.0 then it's pointless changing pressures in search of better numbers. Now the thing is to concentrate on comfort and how well you feel.

If you post a SleepyHead daily chart and identify any particular problems you're experiencing we might be able to sort it for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thats very reassuring, nice to be on track.

I must say that coming from an AHI of 48 down to an AHI of 1.0 or less hasn't yet given me much of a change of quality of life but hopefully that will be a cumulative thing in the coming months and years however I am sure my wife's quality of life for sleep is a whole lot better now that my apnea is contained.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can only ditto DeepBreathing's comments. AHI under 5 is treated.

The docs that monitor their patients likely would stop trying to enhance or tweak settings upon arriving at 5 or less AHI consistently IMO. Unless comfort and rest is an issue, I wouldn't change for sake of change. Best wishes good trend continues.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like your results at 13 cm pressure is doing pretty good. What kind of EPR setting are you using? What are your residual events, OA, CA or H?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, most of us never experience a truly gratifying change in the 'quality of life' as a result of the most optimal results from our PAP.  At least, judging from my three months of reading many threads here and on the other place, the low AHI doesn't seem to translate well, or satisfyingly, into more energy, less sluggishness or drowsiness, or fewer headaches.  I don't know why that is...you'd think people would fairly shout 'Eureka!!!" here when at the same time reporting successful treatment and numbers.  

Some of that may be due to 'early reporting', well before things have a chance to mature and settle.  Often people come here within a few days, or even prior to, any form of remediation seeking guidance, assurances, or some hand-holding.  It seems that it takes most of us months before we are alerted to a meaningful change in our perceptions of well-being or improvements there-to.

Hang in there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2018, 02:50 AM)ghce Wrote: What AHI figure should I expect to see from a well sorted CPAP protocol?

I have been on CPAP for a month and a half and have upped the pressure 3 times since I started each time getting  worthwhile reduction in AHI from 9.5 to 11.5 at 10 cm 6.0 to 0.24 at 12 cm and now at the moment 1.5 to 0.63 at 13 though the average on the latter is closer to 1.00 over the last week and a half. 

Is this good or can I expect better, should it be much closer to 0.0 AHI? or to get closer do I need  different type of machine.

I would suggest the most critical factor in determining what can be achieved for AHI using a CPAP or APAP for treatment is the ratio of central CA events compared to obstructive OA and H events. If you have a very low component of CA you should be able to achieve very low AHI in most cases, possibly under 1.0. However if you have a higher portion of CA events, those are not well controlled by CPAP. You may have to settle for being under 5.0 for AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2018, 01:29 PM)mesenteria Wrote: FWIW, most of us never experience a truly gratifying change in the 'quality of life' as a result of the most optimal results from our PAP.  At least, judging from my three months of reading many threads here and on the other place, the low AHI doesn't seem to translate well, or satisfyingly, into more energy, less sluggishness or drowsiness, or fewer headaches.  I don't know why that is...you'd think people would fairly shout 'Eureka!!!" here when at the same time reporting successful treatment and numbers.  

Some of that may be due to 'early reporting', well before things have a chance to mature and settle.  Often people come here within a few days, or even prior to, any form of remediation seeking guidance, assurances, or some hand-holding.  It seems that it takes most of us months before we are alerted to a meaningful change in our perceptions of well-being or improvements there-to.

Hang in there.

I dunno...I have yet to be prescribed my machine yet, I just did a Titration test on Wed night (04/18/2018)...but I've been using a loaner machine from a friend, an Airsense 10 Auto and we just set it at 11 - 20cm...I used it last Wed for the first time, woke up to see that my AHI was 2.8 from 79. And I felt pretty damn good....so it's been a lil over a week now, and I didn't use it last night...had issues with a new mask and just got fed up and took it off and went to sleep.  Woke up with a headache and have been sluggish all day...just like before.  Maybe it's in my head, I dunno...I hope to get mine here shortly with the pressure set to where I need it....Dr told me it will probably be a bilevel machine.  I'm looking forward to it.
A man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy" ~ Pres. John F. Kennedy
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board Vitamin J.

Some do have the near instant "feeling better" almost as soon as they are on CPAP. You sound like you may fit that category. Big congrats if so. Others do have to wait some time for therapy to work where they begin to feel well. Nevertheless, once you have the right machine, the right settings, the right mask, and have leaks controlled, PAP therapy does eventually get us feeling better IMHO.

Best to success,

Coffee

PS once you get the machine, feel free to post SleepyHead data to allow gurus to share setting advice to get your settings to that optimized perfection or at least very close to that. Happy Friday y'all.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2018, 02:14 PM)Ron AKA Wrote:
(04-20-2018, 02:50 AM)ghce Wrote: What AHI figure should I expect to see from a well sorted CPAP protocol?

I would suggest the most critical factor in determining what can be achieved for AHI using a CPAP or APAP for treatment is the ratio of central CA events compared to obstructive OA and H events. If you have a very low component of CA you should be able to achieve very low AHI in most cases, possibly under 1.0. However if you have a higher portion of CA events, those are not well controlled by CPAP. You may have to settle for being under 5.0 for AHI.

Is CA clear airway? is this a central event, still coming to grips with some of the terminology. My Clear Airway events are only a small ratio compared to OA and H and generally the OA is  more prevalent than th H events but it is still a moving feast when comparing the 3 with some times the H being dominant and other times the OA.

I am very relieved that the OA events now are of much less duration, prior to CPAP I spent most of the night not breathing with events being typically more than a minute 48 times and hour  lol,  even at 10cm on treatment I was still getting OA duration of upto 75 and 80 seconds with an AHI of 10 to 11. Thankfully now with an AHI of 0.5 to 2.0 the duration seems to be maxing out at 35 seconds but generally around 10 and 11 seconds duration.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can Anyone Help me figure out what this is? jmperez1013 1 157 03-11-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 327 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help me figure out what I have? neopeius 0 258 09-19-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: neopeius
  First night, don't know what to expect Albo1950 4 545 07-23-2023, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Albo1950
  [Equipment] Help me figure out Resmed P10 problem rebean 4 539 06-25-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What can I expect from the DVLA (UK) after reporting OSA? Quarky68 1 655 06-21-2023, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Kingsway
Sad [CPAP] Hoping to figure out what is going wrong...Please help! (Data provided) Hopingforachange 0 332 06-01-2023, 05:29 AM
Last Post: Hopingforachange

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.