Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What About Mask Liners?
What About Mask Liners?
Somewhere I read that a liner in the ffm is helpful in reducing that dry mouth experience in the morning. Can anyone confirm this? Would the liner cover the mouth and if so, would that help stop air entering the mouth? Do many people use liners? I don't need another $20 accessory in my box of things I bought but don't use.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What About Mask Liners?
(02-22-2014, 01:50 PM)JimZZZ Wrote: Somewhere I read that a liner in the ffm is helpful in reducing that dry mouth experience in the morning. Can anyone confirm this? Would the liner cover the mouth and if so, would that help stop air entering the mouth? Do many people use liners? I don't need another $20 accessory in my box of things I bought but don't use.

I'm asking myself that same question today. I have a very nice Quattro full face mask. It's quite lovely. But it leaks like crazy.

So I ordered in a box of Remzzz liners to see if that would allow me to enjoy my full face mask.

Last night was my first night trying with the liner. Without the liner, my mask would end up flopping around like a fish in no time at all. With the liner it takes a little longer for that to happen.

Actually they definitely do help. I was able to sleep with my mask happily for some time. But for me, the key word is "help," not "cure."

I used my mask for 3 hours last night, then went back to my trusty nasal mask. I thought it had performed "managably," but the Sleephead software begged to differ. Leaks were, according to the software, off the chart. It really didn't seem that way to me.

Anyhow, I figure I'll fool with it a little more before I relegate it to the "been there, done that" shelf. I really like the concept of the ffm, but for me, it may just not be anything that will work.

Oh, and the dry mouth thing? I figure anytime you've got a 65 mph wind blowing in your mouth 24/7 you're going to get a dry mouth. So I have learned to love that. It's interesting how long it takes in the morning to get your tongue unstuck from the roof of your mouth.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2014, 01:50 PM)JimZZZ Wrote: Somewhere I read that a liner in the ffm is helpful in reducing that dry mouth experience in the morning.
Mask liner might helps with leaks. Dry mouth from mouth breathing but with full face masks is normal to mouth breathe

Becky at RemZzzs was offering 6 pack free trial, she is not been around for a while but her contact details in the thread "RemZzzs CPAP Mask Liners... " (post #8) at "Commercial Posts"

[Image: P1010026-210x168.jpg]
PAD A CHEEK mask liner

Post Reply Post Reply
My F&P Simplus does not leak much but I was thinking a mask liner might help with the dry mouth issue. I don't know why it would help but I thought I read somewhere that it would. I thought maybe the liner covered the mouth but after looking at the web sites of RemZzzs and Quietus it looks like the hole in the liner extends over the nose and the mouth. Oh well, what's so bad about a dry mouth...just have a drink, right? Water that is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jimzzz, I havent heard about them being useful for dry mouth apart from they may help with leaks which may help dry mouth (less leaks), I make them myself very cheaply, apart from helping with leaks I use them to save the silicone cushion touching my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2014, 05:10 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Jimzzz, I havent heard about them being useful for dry mouth apart from they may help with leaks which may help dry mouth (less leaks), I make them myself very cheaply, apart from helping with leaks I use them to save the silicone cushion touching my face.
Thats great! May I ask what fabric you use?
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought some Remzzz’s mask liners a 6 pack and although they say to only use them once you can wash them and get about 5-6 uses. I then made a template of what I needed from their liners and went to a fabric shop and got 3 ft of 50% cotton / 50% poly fabric and cut out my own and they also last 5-6 uses, the next time I bought 3 ft of 50% cotton / 50% lycra fabric. That last me about 3 months and costs about ten dollars. No need to do any sewing.

Post Reply Post Reply
A tad off topic I find biotene helps me with the dry mouth issues. Gargle before bed and when I wake up. It isn't a cure just a help.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best trick I learned for liners is to take elastic thread and sew a strand of it around the perimeter, close to the edge. Pull it just tight enough that it puckers a bit all the way around. Now you can put it over your mask and it will stay put...easier to put on, and really good for when you need to pee in the night or need to scratch your nose. It pretty well stays in place.

I also experimented making my own, using an old Tshirt, clean of course and it worked fine. I also had good luck washing/reusing them. Thankfully I am now on nasal pillow and don't have to use liners.

I sent some pics of my prototype to Paula. Maybe if she reads this thread she can give a link to the pics.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your jaw drops down a lot when you sleep the air blowing on it will dry it out. Perhaps getting a good chinstrap to wear under the mask to hold your mouth closed could help. I find the liners help with mask leaks but not with mouth breathing. I use a ruby red chinstrap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask Liners newtothis1 1 312 12-31-2023, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  mask liners F30i face mask cberistain 7 1,994 10-20-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Kidatply
  Mask Liners and Leaks ejbpesca 2 643 10-09-2022, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,208 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,748 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask liners Dreamless 2 720 11-12-2021, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Dreamless

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.