Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What Changed?
What Changed?
I have been on CPAP therapy for 12 years with no problems. I have a S10 Autoset unit set at 11.2-18. I have been using the P10 headset with nasal pillows since it was introduced. I have never had a problem. Suddenly about a month ago the inside of my nose began to get sore and is continually worsening. It is really painful at night now. I have not changed sizes.

Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What Changed?
Try sizing up on the P10 pillow. The pillow should not be inserted too far into the nostril, but just a little.
How often do you change your pillows? They normally get soft and become ineffective after a while.

Also, it’s important to use a lubricant in your nostrils, like Lansinoh cream found in the baby isles of most stores or a nasal gel like Ayr.

Finally, if your finding that you have sores that are not healing, see an ENT doctor. He/she could prescribe an ointment that will speed healing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm wondering you should try a different type of mask for a while to let your nose heal?

There's an old joke "Doc, it hurts when I do this." "Don't do that."

Seems to me that if something is hurting you, you need to do something different at least for a while, and for me, nasal pillows tend to dry out my nose even with humidification, and especially if one of the pillows points towards my septum.

How often do you change cushions? They do lose integrity with use, and your fit may have changed, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Opal Rose is probably right. The same thing happened to me, so I changed mask (amara view) for a couple of weeks & after the nose healed I went back to P10 but upgraded from medium to large pillows. No more problems ever since. 

Bag-head      snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could be totally unrelated to the mask. Could be a pimple or cold sore (which you get even without a cold). Go up a size as well as use a healing gel like Ayr's or try lanolin.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
My feeling is that since your sores are new while your therapy is not, the sores require intervention and probably the attention of a physician.  They may be innocuous, but they may be an infection of the follicles or mucosa, ulcers, or they may be signs of a herpetic infection.....really quite a few possibilities that might respond better to immediate attention.

I agree with the others who suggest that continuing apace is not likely to yield good results...UNLESS...the therapy as you know and practice it is entirely unrelated to the sores, in which case you are still left with dealing with the sores as a separate issue.  Perhaps the therapy is best left alone, in other words, and it should be continued for its historical apparent suitability.   If an alternative delivery, different mask say, is something you know you can undertake for a short time, it couldn't hurt, provided you don't reduce the efficacy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 319 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 358 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Can high loop gain be changed? NoddingHacker 2 391 01-05-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  HELP! Granddaughter changed settings on Dreamstaton jdmedic 3 335 01-02-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: jdmedic
  Changed my mother over to APAP Mode: Phaleronic 2 382 12-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Symptoms] Only changed mask, fully aware during REM sleep phase? THEVGE 2 393 09-25-2023, 08:00 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  Seems Resmed 10 curve has changed Billmt 1 447 03-08-2023, 10:15 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.