Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dizziness from CPAP
Dizziness from CPAP
Can CPAP treatment make you dizzy when you wake up? 

Last night was a horrible night of sleep and I woke up dizzy to the point I could not stand up.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dizziness from CPAP
I have to suppose the answer is "it might do so in certain circumstances".

Example: I believe, if recalling correctly, when I was on BPAP, dizziness from the therapy happened at times. Cause? Probably the Central apnea portion of my Mixed Apnea was aggressive under BPAP.

Likely, this doesn't correlate to your situation on a direct fashion (central, mixed, etc.), but just a 2 cent reply that there can be dizziness from xPap therapy in certain, specific circumstances.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have vertigo? I have BPPV which is a form of vertigo. I have my pressure range from 10-15. When my RT increased the range to 11-17 (or possibly 12-17...it was this past spring or early summer), it resulted in causing me dizziness and balance issues...which disappeared after I went back to my original pressure range and its working (AHI probably around 2 or so). I also had these same symptoms initially when I first started on CPAP treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
last couple weeks I've been waking up a little odd feeling, especially after napping, maybe dizzy, and with an internal trembling sensation in my chest and upper arms. a little worrisome. I've reduced my pressure settings which seemed to have helped so my completely uneducated guess is that high pressure was screwing up my respiratory related O2/CO2 balance (that I don't claim to understand). not sure about this and still a little concerned about the unusual sensations so I'm interested in hearing more form others.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2018, 02:23 PM)DaveY Wrote: Do you have vertigo? I have BPPV which is a form of vertigo. I have my pressure range from 10-15. When my RT increased the range to 11-17 (or possibly 12-17...it was this past spring or early summer), it resulted in causing me dizziness and balance issues...which disappeared after I went back to my original pressure range and its working (AHI probably around 2 or so). I also had these same symptoms initially when I first started on CPAP treatment.

Interesting, after some research, that might be the answer. I wake frequently and change positions often. I try to stay off my back to keep OA’s down but they are not a problem even on my back. Last night my AHI was .2. One CA event and one HA event. But my sleep was horrible. 

It sounds like BPPV from the internet and something to ask my Dr about next time I see him. (3 weeks). May not be directly connected to SA but more related to tossing and turning. 

Thanks for new direction to search.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2018, 02:52 PM)sheepless Wrote: last couple weeks I've been waking up a little odd feeling, especially after napping, maybe dizzy, and with an internal trembling sensation in my chest and upper arms.  a little worrisome.  I've reduced my pressure settings which seemed to have helped so my completely uneducated guess is that high pressure was screwing up my respiratory related O2/CO2 balance (that I don't claim to understand).  not sure about this and still a little concerned about the unusual sensations so I'm interested in hearing more form others.

I also think high pressure is not a requirement. I raised my min pressure and that stopped my OA’s to virtually zero. Maybe 3 or 4 events per month. 

I think I am going to lower my max pressure 2cm. I had it down to 7.8 cm with good results. Just didn’t like it hitting the max now and again. 

Thanks for getting me to rethink my options.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't mention it in this thread but I had inched my pressure higher than ever with great ahi results but the odd feelings began and am currently feeling as tired and almost as sick as ever.  it's only been one night with lower pressure and symptoms have improved quite a bit not completely gone.  hoping for continued improvement. we'll see. looking like I might have to accept more events to feel better.  kill me with apnea or kill me with pressure.  which is better?    Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2018, 07:28 PM)sheepless Wrote: I didn't mention it in this thread but I had inched my pressure higher than ever with great ahi results but the odd feelings began and am currently feeling as tired and almost as sick as ever.  it's only been one night with lower pressure and symptoms have improved quite a bit not completely gone.  hoping for continued improvement. we'll see. looking like I might have to accept more events to feel better.  kill me with apnea or kill me with pressure.  which is better?    Rolleyes

My best sleep is comes with higher AHI. Sleep beats good numbers. (Within reason)
Post Reply Post Reply
I, too, have been diagnosed with BPPV and the last time I tried a pressure increase the vertigo hit really hard!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 181 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,111 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41
  [CPAP] CA Events and Morning Dizziness gold3n 3 452 09-12-2023, 01:15 PM
Last Post: gold3n
  [Health] Dizziness and high blood pressure Okbutton 2 518 06-13-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ketanerp - Excessive dream, dizziness and sleep apnea. ketanerp 17 1,773 12-26-2022, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Lucid
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 23 3,062 02-02-2022, 01:16 PM
Last Post: geosyncline
  Dizziness Boxermum 11 1,339 09-22-2021, 08:51 AM
Last Post: Boxermum

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.