Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What Comes Next if Bipap & CPAP's Don't work
What Comes Next if Bipap & CPAP's Don't work
While I have sleep apnea and waiting for my sleep study report; this question is about my husband who has sleep apnea worse than I do. He's had it for 20 years. When dx'd he had AHI of 54. The past year he has been so tired during the day, he went back to the sleep doctor. At first he put him at a higher pressure of 16 and said if that didn't work to go to 18. The '18' he couldn't take. At this time he's on a CPAP.
So he was sent for another sleep study, which showed he was still having apneas, hypopneas, etc etc. 28. 9 average per hour.
The doctor then asked him to try a loaner 'Bi-Pap machine which he has for two weeks, while being monitored for a month, to go back to the doctor Oct 22.
In the meantime my husband 'Wally' has continued to feel the extreme fatigue, and had a sore chest sometimes from the pressure being used ...which is as I read and the woman at the Health Care Pharmacy monitoring his Bi-Pap stats agreed; that it was the muscles reacting to the pressure.

Okay sorry to be so lengthy... I was speaking to the woman whose monitoring about the soreness, and at the time I asked her if she could give me an idea of how his 'apnea and other events' were the past couple of weeks. She said not really good as the average still was over 21 AHI per hour.

We did a one night monitoring his O2 level last night, but it always has been within the normal level and think it still is... I checked a few times.
So to get to my question (finally... sorry) what is likely next? Is there anything else to try. I don't think if his O2 level is 90 or more they will not add oxygen, but is there a chance they will? Would it help at all?  Or is there in anyone's opinion or knowledge what else can be done? Maybe nothing and he'll have to live with this awful fatigue. To me eventually it will put a stress on his heart perhaps though.
I should mention he has COPD and some asbestosis also so lungs not in the best shape. He doesn't smoke but did for too many years. .. not the last 18 though.

I apologize for the detail but though the whole picture might help. Diane
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What Comes Next if Bipap & CPAP's Don't work
In order to see what is really happening, may I suggest that you download #SleepyHead and acquire his sleep data. Without detailed sleep information anything else will be a guess.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple of us have found using a cheep cervical collar may help by keeping the neck a little straighter.
When I use mine my AHI is in the 2 to 5 range but without it I may hit 12 .
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi... Thanks... I actually do have Sleepyhead but I can't use it right now as it would I believe interfere with the monitoring done by the Home health sleep lady doing hers right now.

I don't know what site she's using but I'm going to ask if I can have it to look at. She will be monitoring it till a week before the 22nd when she sends to the sleep doctor.

Thanks for the suggestion... will keep in mind !   (Diane)
Post Reply Post Reply
The SD card can be uploaded to Sleepyhead without any affect on remote monitoring or results. Be sure to create a user profile for him, (File/ change user), Upload the data, then reinsert the card back in his machine. We will be able to tell you what is going on and get his doctors back on track.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead will not interfere with the other monitoring. It is installed on your computer and doesn't change the files on the SD card in your CPAP.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2018, 10:14 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The SD card can be uploaded to Sleepyhead without any affect on remote monitoring or results.  Be sure to create a user profile for him, (File/ change user), Upload the data, then reinsert the card back in his machine.  We will be able to tell you what is going on and get his doctors back on track.

Sorry what do you mean to create a user profile... I already have him set up.... ?
Post Reply Post Reply
You already have his user profile set up.   

Let6's see what his Sleepyhead charts show.  The sooner the better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2018, 11:13 AM)Diane Rawn Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 10:14 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The SD card can be uploaded to Sleepyhead without any affect on remote monitoring or results.  Be sure to create a user profile for him, (File/ change user), Upload the data, then reinsert the card back in his machine.  We will be able to tell you what is going on and get his doctors back on track.

Sorry what do you mean to create a user profile... I already have him set up.... ?

I put his memory card in and for some reason now I'm getting an error code. Maybe because of different 'temporary bipap' but I tried to revise the profile... At this point I'm confused to say the least (Thanks for trying to help) maybe you will be successful ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you describe the error code? When you put in the card it should be read by the computer and the files would be accessible unless there is an error on the card itself. Also, what machine brand and model is this. If you can tell us what kinds of events are being flagged in his AHI we may be able to shed some light on things. OA, H, CA, what's the distribution?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 98 2 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 253 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,178 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 625 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP to BiPAP transition and pressure settings ttodd 4 675 11-27-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.