Machine: Respironics System One Auto A-Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Remstar Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: APAP since 8/2/2010, AHI average/yr = 2.10

Sex: Male

RE: What Hobbies And Talents Do You Have?
Re: Pressure Cooking:
- JCPenny just came out with the first low-profile pressure cooker, essentially a saute pan with a pressure cooker lid. It's only 3-4 inches deep but large in diameter. I mention it here because I think the concept is a great one...perfect size for 2 people, and allows all ingredients to rest in water rather than stacked up and steamed. (I make green beans, bacon and potatoes this way...which is better when pressure cooked in its own broth.)
- The downside...so far, the quality of the JCPenny product is terrible, I haven't bought it yet, but a quality version is soon to hit the market, I'm sure. Keep your eyes open for it. So far, I've cruised the Net and Amazon, can't find any other low-profile cooker at all.

--==<< old, experienced, but still curious >>==--
06-15-2012 08:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
ScottBerglin Offline

Preferred Members

I'm a self-employed manufacturing and automation engineer; design products, medical equipment, food processing machinery, (supposed to know how everything works and how to manufacture it)...it's my day job.

When not sleeping (or working), I'm usually cooking. My wife's a graduate in Global Wine Studies. We entertain friends often, try to introduce new foods, lots of Indian curries lately. Still we fall back on some signature dishes developed over several years:
- Rosemary & Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken with Mushroom Sauce on Rice and Asparagus with Hollandaise (French Chardonnay)
- Salt Packed Slow Roasted Prime Rib with Creamed Spinach, Twice-cooked New Potatoes in Garlic (Oregon Pinot Noir)
- French Nicoise Salad with Baked Salmon, drizzled with Champagne Mustard Aioli (Sauvignon Blank)
- Gefilte Fish, Latkas and Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage (Whie Zinfandel, surprizingly)
- BBQ-then-Baked Pork Ribs, Sour Cream and Red Onion Mashed Potatoes, with French Carmelized Shallots (Australian Shiraz)
- Desserts: English Trifle, Cut Fruit with Devonshire Cream, Rosemary and Hazelnut Baked Pears with Crumbled Blue Cheese

I'm also an amateur video buff, have videod and published lots on YouTube, active on Facebook, try to stay non-controversial. I'm easy to find on Google.

And....I'm really enjoying meeting you all on this thread...this was a good idea. Thanks for listening, - Scott

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2012 09:52 AM by ScottBerglin.)
06-15-2012 09:44 AM
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(06-15-2012 08:44 AM)ScottBerglin Wrote:  Re: Pressure Cooking:
- JCPenny just came out with the first low-profile pressure cooker, essentially a saute pan with a pressure cooker lid. It's only 3-4 inches deep but large in diameter. I mention it here because I think the concept is a great one...perfect size for 2 people, and allows all ingredients to rest in water rather than stacked up and steamed. (I make green beans, bacon and potatoes this way...which is better when pressure cooked in its own broth.)
- The downside...so far, the quality of the JCPenny product is terrible, I haven't bought it yet, but a quality version is soon to hit the market, I'm sure. Keep your eyes open for it. So far, I've cruised the Net and Amazon, can't find any other low-profile cooker at all.

I really like the All American pressure cookers because there is no gasket to go bad! They will literally out live the owner if taken care of! But the smallest you can get is 10.5 quart. They make another line that they call like the chefs line or something, but it is not the same because it does use a gasket. You just can't go wrong with metal against metal!

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
06-15-2012 10:51 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
ScottBerglin Offline

Preferred Members

I haven't heard of a metal-on-metal seal for cooking, certainly not on a 10" diameter rim...I'll look into that, thanks.

But I did find a 2-1/8 quart pressure cooker today, like I've been looking for. It's a "Kuhn Rikon" made in Switzerland, only about 3" deep and 10" dia....awesome, top quality. It comes as a set; 2 qt and 5ΒΌ qt pots and one lid for $369-list, $244-Amazon, $245 at an independent store near me. It's all stainless and typical Swiss quality...contemplating whether to go back and get it....hmmmm...yes, I am going back for it....right now in fact....bye.

06-15-2012 02:36 PM
ekubaskie Offline

New Members

Machine: PR System 1 BiPAP Pro w/ Biflex
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: PR System 1 Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: BiPAP 7cm-10cm

Other Comments:

(06-15-2012 08:44 AM)ScottBerglin Wrote:  Re: Pressure Cooking:

Five of my units are Fagor, really nice British-made pots with good 18-10 stainless steel. One is rather old, and old-school - the bobble-weight on top. The others are Fagor Duo, very simple and affordable from Amazon. One in particular they refer to as a pressure skillet, smaller capacity and low profile. Might be just what you're looking for.

[edit] I've used that pressure skillet for a bit of salmon fillet before, and it does a wonderful job!
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2012 04:57 PM by ekubaskie.)
06-15-2012 04:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Dreamcatcher Offline

Members-b

Machine: Resmed Autoset Spirit II with Quattro F/F & FX Masks
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: H4i
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

British-made pots I like where your comming from Big Grin

Welcome to the forum ekubaskie I hope you find your stay a pleasant one Hi

Welcome
06-16-2012 12:55 AM