Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What I learned today about mini-apneas and fatigue or why SH is the bomb
RE: What I learned today about mini-apneas and fatigue or why SH is the bomb
( goes to look up word "ketogenic" and to google for a ketogenic diet .... )
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2016, 01:27 PM)silverny1 Wrote: ........................
The oximeter came with SpO2 Assistant software to display the data and, in addition, SleepyHead can import and display the pulse oximetry data. Both software programs display information on the number, duration, etc. of two types of events: "Desaturation Events" and "Pulse Rate Events."

It should be noted that the two programs define the events slightly differently. For example, SpO2 defines defines desaturation event as a drop in SpO2 by at least 4% for a minimum duration of 10 seconds, whereas SH defines desaturation event as a drop in SpO2 by at least 3% for a minimum duration of 8 seconds. Similarly, SpO2 defines pulse rate event as a change in rate by at least 6 bpm for a minimum duration of 8 seconds, whereas SH defines a pulse rate event as a change in rate by at least 5 bpm for a minimum duration of 8 seconds.
Perhaps it should be further noted that the event parameters for SpO2 and pulse in each of those programs are configurable. So while the defaults are unequal, they can be adjusted to equality. At least in theory. It'd be interesting to determine if that actually works to give the same readings for each.

I recently bought the CMS50i, and after three straight nights of use, I've yet to figure out how to sync its recorded data with the corresponding SH CPAP report. (I followed the links in the SH oximeter wizard intro for installing the (Win 7x64) USB to UART driver, though I don't see any such thing listed in the Windows Device Manager.) The session times in the SpO2 assistant are correct but in SH, a single oximeter session appears as multiple sessions with illogical start times, no matter how I try to adjust it. None of the on screen starting time adjustments seem to work properly.

Moreover, the CMS50i appears to be calibrated low. I have a CVS non-recording pulse oximeter, and have compared the two in real time, simultaneously using one on each hand (same finger), switching them, etc. For SpO2, the CMS50i always reads 2-4 percentage points lower than the simpler device.(!) Pulse data, on the other hand, are the same on each device. Same observations when the CMS50i is compared against an SpO2 app on my smart phone. Will start a thread about this when I have more experience and data.

-Ron

We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2016, 05:10 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote:
(12-14-2015, 09:33 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Could you please clarify something for me;
20% and 50% represents by how much is the flow reduced or to what level it is reduced?
I mean, reduction by 20% is insignificant as compared to reduction to 20% of the original volume.

Yes please more info. Thanks MarkSleep-well
Good question. Some seem to assume the percentages mean "reduction by". But as some in the old segment of this thread have shown, as have I for myself, UF2 usually shows substantially more events than UF1. Seems to me that favors "reduction to."

Incidentally, today is the best I've felt in 3 mos., and it's the first time I have no events in UF2. So I'm inclined to agree with the OP's conclusions about the importance of mini-events, and am thankful for this thread.

So what's effective therapy for these l'l buggers?

We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't miss out on analyzing the RERAs too. Although they are not counted in AHI they are part of the RDI calculation. You can request SH to show RDI and you will need to restart SH after making that change or simply add up your AHI with RERA and you can figure the number yourself.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
[/quote]
Perhaps it should be further noted that the event parameters for SpO2 and pulse in each of those programs are configurable. So while the defaults are unequal, they can be adjusted to equality. At least in theory. It'd be interesting to determine if that actually works to give the same readings for each.

-Ron
[/quote]

I do plan to equalize them once I find out what the most appropriate definition is for each type of event. A small change can make a big difference in the number of events (e.g., my pulse rate events seems ridiculously high - or is it?).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 615 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 5 242 03-09-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: meatheadmd
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 15 631 03-08-2024, 02:42 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 253 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,225 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 268 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 430 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.