cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One 560BT Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10's/backup-DreamWear
Humidifier: PR attached
CPAP Pressure: 8.5 - 13. A-Flex 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

Sex: Female

RE: What I learned today about mini-apneas and fatigue or why SH is the bomb
So back to what we were discussing latterly, what good is seeing FR20 and FR50? Does it indicate we should change anything? What's the purpose?

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
12-10-2015 06:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Mark Douglas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Sys 1 (60) RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex 760P Auto Bi-Level (Variabl
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp
Humidifier: PR Sys One heated
CPAP Pressure: RiseTime 3 Fxd E-9.0 / I-11.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Sex: Male

Simply gives you a way to score outside the sleep industry guidelines.
I'm of the opinion conventional medicine in the USA at least is geared to people being "not-sick" as opposed to "healthy".

If you want to play with it just do it. Changes the settings and see what results.
As I said previously I can have a 0AHI and feel like crap or an AHI of 3-5 and still feel good.
That is I can tolerate a few larger events better than a stream of little ones.

An AHI below 5 is considered "treated". Personally I am opposed to any amount of strangulation - but that's just me.

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
12-11-2015 11:18 AM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

As an FYI, FR50 and FR20 do not count against your AHI even though they will show in the pie chart. You can have a plethora of FR50/FR20 and a 0.00 AHI.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
12-11-2015 12:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mark Douglas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Sys 1 (60) RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex 760P Auto Bi-Level (Variabl
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp
Humidifier: PR Sys One heated
CPAP Pressure: RiseTime 3 Fxd E-9.0 / I-11.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

(12-11-2015 12:39 PM)AlanE Wrote:  As an FYI, FR50 and FR20 do not count against your AHI even though they will show in the pie chart. You can have a plethora of FR50/FR20 and a 0.00 AHI.

Yeh I shoulda said that......

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
12-11-2015 12:41 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(06-19-2015 12:52 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote:  First find a mask that prevents mouth leakage and that is not going so well

What are the issues? Have you tried a chin strap? A full face mask?

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-11-2015 04:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GPSMapNut Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed AirFit P10 and PR DreamWear
Humidifier: DreamStation + heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 9-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro Other Software

Other Comments: Used Respironics REMstar Pro with C-Flex for 11 years and ResMed S9 Elite loaner for 3 months

Could you please clarify something for me;
20% and 50% represents by how much is the flow reduced or to what level it is reduced?
I mean, reduction by 20% is insignificant as compared to reduction to 20% of the original volume.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2015 09:34 PM by GPSMapNut.)
12-14-2015 09:33 PM
kwhenrykerr Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation Auto, AirSense 10 Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Philips, AirSense 10
CPAP Pressure: 12-20

Other Comments: 2L added oxygen with CMS50F to check usage

(12-14-2015 09:33 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote:  Could you please clarify something for me;
20% and 50% represents by how much is the flow reduced or to what level it is reduced?
I mean, reduction by 20% is insignificant as compared to reduction to 20% of the original volume.

Yes please more info. Thanks MarkSleep-well

Just my personal opinion. My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact. Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel. Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
06-25-2016 05:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
silverny1 Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Nuance Pro
Humidifier: ResMed H51
CPAP Pressure: 10

Other Comments:

I just saw this thread and wanted to thank you for the method of seeing mini-apneas in SleepyHead AND especially for calling attention to the existence of fatigue despite low AHI scores. I have more to say on this below.

I made the change in my SH software, but as of now just see big chunks of the pie charts as UF2 and smaller chunks as UF1. Maybe new sleep sessions will begin to track the data as events.

Here is some further information to consider in trying to come to grips with the daytime fatigue issue. I would value your comments/input.

Due to my daytime fatigue (I typically need to take a nap by mid-afternoon and sometimes go back to sleep after breakfast), I bought a pulse oximeter to determine if I was having desaturation issues during the night that could be causing fatigue during the day.

The oximeter came with SpO2 Assistant software to display the data and, in addition, SleepyHead can import and display the pulse oximetry data. Both software programs display information on the number, duration, etc. of two types of events: "Desaturation Events" and "Pulse Rate Events."

It should be noted that the two programs define the events slightly differently. For example, SpO2 defines defines desaturation event as a drop in SpO2 by at least 4% for a minimum duration of 10 seconds, whereas SH defines desaturation event as a drop in SpO2 by at least 3% for a minimum duration of 8 seconds. Similarly, SpO2 defines pulse rate event as a change in rate by at least 6 bpm for a minimum duration of 8 seconds, whereas SH defines a pulse rate event as a change in rate by at least 5 bpm for a minimum duration of 8 seconds.

I used the pulse oximeter device for four weeks in April in conjunction with my VPAP. I also kept a diary of "sleepiness" issues, as well as recording my sleep time, AHI/hypopnea scores, use of alcohol, coffee/tea, and medications.

I found NO correlation between exceedingly low AHI scores and daytime fatigue. Over four weeks, only five AHIs were greater than 1.00 (highest was 1.63), two were 0.00, and the rest were less than 0.99 (21).

Alarmingly, the number of reported pulse rate events per sleep session (SH definition) ranged from mid-300s to OVER 800. By comparison, the SpO2 definition produced roughly one-half the number of pulse rate events per nightly session. Desaturation events were far fewer using either software definition. On SH they ranged from a low of 6 to as high as 235. On SpO2 they ranged from 3 to 29.

So, what did my physician say? I've delivered the chart to his office and sent it again by fax, but he hasn't responded to my calls. All of which suggests that he can't be bothered or, worse, has no idea. I also asked my Internist (who specializes in cardiac issues) for a better definition of the two types of events. He never got back to me...

Please let me know if you have resolved your daytime fatigue issues and what you did to help yourself. If you or anyone in the Forum has any input on the appropriate definitions for desaturation event or pulse rate event, I would be glad to know. Last, perhaps my experience may shed some light for you or others on the daytime fatigue issue. I wish my physicians cared a bit more, but I think the Forum members and readers may be a better source of help.
07-01-2016 01:27 PM
BadGoodDeb Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 for Her
Humidifier: no
CPAP Pressure: 8 (testing 7.8-10)

Other Comments: New to AirSense 10 and AirFit P10, but 4 years on prev unit

Note: regarding "sometimes go to sleep after breakfast" -- I have this problem too, but have pretty clearly linked it to blood sugar issues. If I have any cold cereal for breakfast (even Cheerios) I get sleepy about 2 hours later. If I have a protein heavy breakfast (eggs, or walnuts, or chicken) then I am fine. I have a mild hypoglycemia.

So -- SOME daytime sleepiness can be from other issues.

But now I'm wondering about my SleepyHead numbers too. My AHI is usually below 0.11. I'm not particularly tired, but perhaps I could be even better!
07-01-2016 02:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One 560BT Auto
Mask Make & Model: P10's/backup-DreamWear
Humidifier: PR attached
CPAP Pressure: 8.5 - 13. A-Flex 3

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

Just FYI from all the online and books I have been reading, people who are any-type of diabetic or even pre-diabetic would benefit from a ketogenic diet. Do your own research. And BadGoodDeb the protein heavy breakfast is a good ketogenic one!

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
07-01-2016 02:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Pressure] Hypoxic- No Apneas- Pressure Too High? beardog 13 639 11-08-2016 06:19 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Questions for anyone who has tried Transcend Mini Auto CPAP rdavis 3 243 11-04-2016 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  My article on today's Huff Post re sleep apnea journey JaneAM 9 595 09-08-2016 07:48 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Just learned I have sleep apnea, waiting to hear full results of sleep study SleeplessInOklahoma 18 952 09-06-2016 04:41 PM
Last Post: livingwithapnea
  Clear/Central Apneas, BiPAP, CO2 washout confusion. NorthernGuy 3 490 09-02-2016 09:29 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  [Treatment] Auto CPAP, high/erratic AHI, high Clear Apneas - it's not working jmortensenjr 10 773 08-30-2016 09:07 PM
Last Post: jmortensenjr
  Central Apneas & ASV Users jerrydaw 11 1,145 08-21-2016 04:15 PM
Last Post: ruach