Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Results input sought before visit to (untrustworthy) DME on Tuesday
RE: Results input sought before visit to (untrustworthy) DME on Tuesday
The DME wasn't going to help you a lot it seems like. Good for you on cutting the wallet ties that would have lightened your pockets. Best wishes on your ventures.

I'll predict I know the guy that runs your DME...Ripoff Randy... Laugh-a-lot

In all seriousness, glad you found out earlier rather than late what the status was with your former DME.

Oh, and Welcome to Apnea Board. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Results input sought before visit to (untrustworthy) DME on Tuesday
I have to agree...if you're pretty new and they are not going to have a good look at your data when you come in (but will still charge you a fairly substantial fee), then they definitely come across as fly-by-night or just in it for the money in my book. I'd see what other options there are in your area.

My previous DME was the same way:
- "must" come in every so often,
- very limited mask choices,
- hardly looking at the data ("oh, look...your AHI is less than 5, you're doing fine" - Yeah, right...read my file...I'm a UARS patient with an AHI to sleep disruption factor of ~10 so that 5 really equals 50),
- told me they they were the only ones that could touch my machine or it voided the warranty and/or could lead to trouble with the doc, and
- couldn't keep their billings straight to save their lives (missed bills, double bills, incorrect bills, bills for the wrong patient).

Dropped them like a hot potato after my changes (small ones, monitored with Sleepyhead and with occasional chats with my MD) yielded much better therapy results (usually <0.2, which the DME took credit for and without even noticing that the pressure had changed from their 4-20 default to a 13-20)

My current DME does charge more for "in house" mask purchases (vs. online), but they direct bill and the visit includes a proper download and review of the data to see if adjustments are needed as well as time to discuss with me and make sure that my therapy is still going well. Plus the RT I deal with now doesn't treat me like a child...we talk, frankly at that, about the good, bad and ugly of my therapy and he listens if I am bringing an issue up. (This DME is awesome and seems to be the exception...if you find one, hang on to them!)
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 5 53 1 hour ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  PSG Results: Could this be UARS? deebob 260 18,378 04-17-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 18 403 04-16-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,544 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Treatment] New to CPAP but keen to learn - Please could you help with results and Q's? JustinWoods 19 1,958 04-10-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help interpreting my results (and hello!) mluck94 4 148 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: mluck94
  Having fluctuating results 3rd week in. Data attached Jscott321 5 212 04-03-2024, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Jscott321

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.