Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What Pulse Oximeters work with SleepyHead?
Question 
What Pulse Oximeters work with SleepyHead?
Hi all,

I'm very grateful for this forum. I don't have good insurance and am trying to save myself. This place is an invaluable resource!

I already got a CPAP machine and am planning to sleep with it to gather some data. Before I do that, I want to make sure I'm getting enough oxygen with the mask on and the machine running at the lowest pressure setting.

What pulse oximeters work well with SleepyHead? I know the CMS-50D Plus works, but I can shell out a few more bucks for additional features.

Would the CMS-50EW work? It's bluetooth compatible.

What about the CMS-50H? It also has the perfusion index capability.

How valuable is the perfusion index capability? What can it be an indicator of?

Thanks for the help!

-Jer
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What Pulse Oximeters work with SleepyHead?
Hi jerod and welcome - few people here use pulse oximeters .. if you do a forum and wiki search you come up with tons of info
Post Reply Post Reply
What zonk means is a lot of us use them.

The simplest is the CMS 50D Plus. They go up from there. I know the software that comes with most of them, SpO2 Review, saves the data in a format that you can then import into SleepyHead.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...2_software - using the software

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead - importing it into SleepyHead
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jerod,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have SleepyHead running fine on a computer that has wireless, Bluetooth, and wired net connection, but I don't have a Windows computer. My understanding is that the oximeters require a Windows program to extract the data, and then the data can be imported into SleepyHead. Is this correct? Is there an oximeter that will work directly with SleepyHead or other open source program?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Contec CMS-50D Plus and do use it with my Windows PC and Sleepyhead software and it works great. I just glanced at Supplier #19's website and the software download pages do seem to only make reference to Windows based programs. I'd just send an email to that supplier and ask him. I initially had an issue with the software when I first got my pulse oximeter from them and they were very responsive and helpful.

Quick funny story to tell. About 2 weeks ago, I accidentally dropped my CMS-50D Plus in a half full (or is it half empty?) coffee cup. I pressed the power button and the display was all messed up so I thought my unit was toast. Put a hairdryer to it and let it air dry for a day or two and presto, it's working fine again!!! I don't recommend testing your unit out to see if you get the same result though LOL! Great-info
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2012, 11:44 AM)b360155 Wrote: Quick funny story to tell. About 2 weeks ago, I accidentally dropped my CMS-50D Plus in a half full (or is it half empty?) coffee cup. I pressed the power button and the display was all messed up so I thought my unit was toast. Put a hairdryer to it and let it air dry for a day or two and presto, it's working fine again!!! I don't recommend testing your unit out to see if you get the same result though LOL! Great-info

Rather than use a hairdryer and heat the components and possibly the glue used in modern electronics, I drop my accidently dunked units in a jar of uncooked rice for a few days and usually all is well.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2012, 06:16 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: What zonk means is a lot of us use them.

The simplest is the CMS 50D Plus. They go up from there. I know the software that comes with most of them, SpO2 Review, saves the data in a format that you can then import into SleepyHead.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...2_software - using the software

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead - importing it into SleepyHead
The software that came with my CMS50I is "SPO2 Assistant," which apparently is not the same as "SPO2 Review". SleepyHead has a problem importing its downloads, as well as with direct import. (This is a well documented bug, in which SH basically can't seem to sync the oximeter data with the CPAP graphs.)

Unless I'm missing something, the links above don't provide an actual download of SPO2 Review. Is there one publicly available?

Thx,

-Ron
EDIT - Ok, I see that the "green heart" and "red heart" programs are two modules of the same software package, and I have them installed. But still not seeing how to get data already in my oximeter into their file format so I can see whether SH imports that format properly.

EDIT2 - Ok, I now see this from PaulaO2's second link: "Newer pulse oximeters (such as the CMS-50i and the CMS-50iW) do not use the same SpO2 software and do not save in the format required by SleepyHead and are not importable. " That is contrary to what JediMark says about SH. Wish I'd known about the contradiction before I bought the CMS50I. Here's hoping the next version of SH resolves this.
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
The key to finding a decent pulse-oximeter lies in first finding a reliable vendor who can help you to separate the facts from Bullpucky. I chose Vendor #19 on a recommendation from this forum and was amazed at how much I didn't know. The vendor was beyond helpful, polite, and professional -- he offered to take the unit back if it didn't work for me due to an arrhythmia. That level of service is not common nor can it be found with foreign companies who offer cheaper -- but possibly questionable -- products.

The unit I liked was the CMS 50-F.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Huhsign
If you got a deep pocket you can get all the fancy stuff that you can guess, I will tell you what is the main problem with what ever Oximeter you buy.
The main problem is to keep it in your finger all night long when you are sleeping.
The problem of transferring the file from the Oximeter to your computer last about one minute with bluetooth or cable, meaning it doesn't matter.
I use CMS 50D+ . It is the cheapest and you can hook it up very easy with a Windows computer using Sleepyhead.
Ralph.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 17 1,477 04-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Added an O2/Pulse meter to my therapy: Phaleronic 21 665 04-04-2024, 11:21 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 303 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 27,581 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 249 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 762 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 273 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.