Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What about Oral (mouth only) masks?
Idea 
What about Oral (mouth only) masks?
While I've been using my dream machine with 100% compliance for many years, there is a lot I do not know (or understand).

Either I never learned, or it's new stuff, etc - think of me as a 'user', rather than a geek (in computer speak).

Even though I've had both nose and throat surgery, I've been a mouth-breather for so many years (am 51 now, and just learned bout 8yrs ago that you can kiss without holding your breath.) that even though I am generally OK with a nasal mask, sometimes I start 'hissing' at night, or flat-out mouth-breathe, which of course doesn't help either my sleep or my numbers.

So, my question is about these 'oral' or mouth-only masks? Correct me if I am wrong, but you wear some form of nose-plug, and then bite something sort of like a snorkel to breathe through? Is that basically the concept?

If so, what's the down-sides? It would seem that leaks would be fairly rare, and dry-mouth may not happen as you do not have "rushing air" flowing through all night. If you're comfortable mouth-breathing is there any reason not to go this route?

I only recently became aware of these as an option, I thought there was only nasal, 'pillows', and FFM as choices.

FYI-chin-straps don't help me as my teeth stay closed all the way, due to over-bite, etc, my lips simply lose seal causing me to hiss usually.

Any/all thoughts, ideas, suggestions are welcome~!

PS - I just tried an Anew Sleepweaver and it failed for me badly.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What about Oral (mouth only) masks?
The only oral mask I know of is the Oracle. I tried to get the direct link to the mask but their site is ghastly slow this morning.
http://www.fphcare.com/

There's a YouTube video (several actually) about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07aZ2eX1i-0
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe not. There is the Oracle, but it only gave me gastric distension. IMHO the InnoMed Hybrid "Full Face" Mask with Nasal Pillows Fitpack worked better than the Mirage Liberty. A novel idea 8 years ago--I added my Mandibular Advancement device under the Hybrid mask which dropped the AHI and brought some mental clarity. Since then the Thornton TAP-PAP Chairside Custom mask became available, and then I upgraded to a total custom mask which also uses the TAP device as the best yet. Dr Thornton in Dallas seems to be doing the most dental sleep innovation and research validation out there.
Over the years, I tried 27 nasal masks which produced lots of mouth leaks, lip blubbering, tuba playing sounds which all woke me up and didn't improve my AHI. The 2 "professional" RT suggestions that I received were "turn down the pressure setting" and "try Denture-Creme on your lips to stop the air leak". Due to my executive decision making deficits from accumulative sleep deprivation--I'm embarassed that I even tried both those wacky misinformed suggestions!! The Denture Creme worked for most of the 1st night, but ripped skin off my lips.
Caution with full face masks because I strapped one on so tightly to minimize leaks, that I got a full thickness nose bridge ulcer resulting in healed skin is still very thin and won't allow any other trials that have a nose bridge fitting. Since then I had surgery by Dr Michael Friedman for a back-of-the-tongue reduction which got me off BiPap--when I was referred for a tracheostomy.
Please be encouraged to keep experimenting as doubt most sleep medicine practitioners have much real life knowledge! Many of the posters on ApneaBoard are phenomenal. Hang in there!

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info on the mask. May roll the dice and try it. That's what I do hate - you simply have no idea if a mask will work for you or not til you try it. So far, my old standby, is either a 'Zest' or a 'Flexi-fit', and they work great and are comfortable *if* I can keep my mouth closed and not hiss.

My FFM is reserved for when I am sick, or going through a bad patch, then I use it for a few days which then makes me happy to put the nasal mask back on... and so the cycle goes.

Because I do so much **better** when I use my dream machine, I just deal with all the 'stuff' of the masks - I'd love to be able to try many masks (a lot all I would need is 3-5 minutes), but with no insurance, it is very spendy.

I like my sleep DOC, but have found DMEs to be next to useless.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Peter_C,
I knew I was a mouth breather so I just eliminated nasal masks from the equation for starters.
The FFM works ok in my case but running as much pressure as I do, it was getting pressure side effects in my eyeballs.
Yup.
The sinuses *behind* your eyeballs can expand and press on the back of the eye.
That was real irritating so I tried the Total FM. That keeps the pressure equal on *both* sides of my eyeballs
and eliminated that mess.
I clean/degrease face and sealing surface *every time* just before use.
On the up side I am getting a lot more "0" days on the AHI readouts.

Everyone's mileage will vary!

Sleep-well

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2013, 12:37 AM)Peter_C Wrote: So, my question is about these 'oral' or mouth-only masks? Correct me if I am wrong, but you wear some form of nose-plug, and then bite something sort of like a snorkel to breathe through? Is that basically the concept?

I have an Oracle in my junk mask drawer. Your comparison to a snorkel makes me laugh- never thought about it like that but, yes, a very similar device. You don't have to make a conscious effort to bite down as much- after all, you are unconscious when sleeping. I was falling asleep and then blowing out the nose plugs. The sudden noise and sensation of rushing air was not pleasant. Thought I was having a nightmare like going 90 mph and having the right front tire blow out.

All kidding aside, this is a perfect case of a good device, but they just didn't pay attention to the details. Nobody sells an industrial grade (just kidding) nose clip or plug. I tried to improvise with my own homemade or adapted nose clips but, well, I won't get into that... (lol).

The end result for me was a FFM. I think if you are a mouth breather (I hate saying that- makes he feel like some kinda fish), a FFM is the only way to go. Hopefully new products in the future will be more user friendly. /Jeff/
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2013, 08:09 PM)Airstream Wrote:
(10-10-2013, 12:37 AM)Peter_C Wrote: So, my question is about these 'oral' or mouth-only masks? Correct me if I am wrong, but you wear some form of nose-plug, and then bite something sort of like a snorkel to breathe through? Is that basically the concept?

I have an Oracle in my junk mask drawer. Your comparison to a snorkel makes me laugh- never thought about it like that but, yes, a very similar device. You don't have to make a conscious effort to bite down as much- after all, you are unconscious when sleeping. I was falling asleep and then blowing out the nose plugs. The sudden noise and sensation of rushing air was not pleasant. Thought I was having a nightmare like going 90 mph and having the right front tire blow out.

All kidding aside, this is a perfect case of a good device, but they just didn't pay attention to the details. Nobody sells an industrial grade (just kidding) nose clip or plug. I tried to improvise with my own homemade or adapted nose clips but, well, I won't get into that... (lol).

The end result for me was a FFM. I think if you are a mouth breather (I hate saying that- makes he feel like some kinda fish), a FFM is the only way to go. Hopefully new products in the future will be more user friendly. /Jeff/

I think I have to use a FFM because I have allergies/sinus issues and a lot of the time, my nose stays stopped up and the last thing I need is something else stopping up my nose! lol
Post Reply Post Reply
It's been a while since I last used my FFM, so I decided to switch back to it for a while before possibly buying another mask to try. Slept fine last night but my machine didn't give me any info for "DAY". I didn't wake til 11:20AM, am wondering if my machine starts a new day around 11AM? If that's the case, would that be why it says "no data"? I have weekly data, etc.. but it seems like I don't get 'day' data unless I get up earlier??

Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 considers a "day" to be from noon to noon. It determines "noon" to be whatever it's own clock says.

I have insomnia and often don't get to bed until morning and sleep past noon. Sometimes it stops at 11:59 then puts it on the next "night", sometimes it stops at 11:00, or 12:05. Sometimes I think my machine does drugs.

Either way, you should see that missing time on the next night. But you won't see the next night until it actually happens. Does that makes sense?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
My problem is since I don't use any software, the only way I can get 'daily' data is direct from my machine. Am thinking to change the time on my machine a few hours later so I can keep this from happening. My only data choices to see on the machine is 'day', 'week', 'month', 'six month', and 'year'. So I want to be able to look at the 'day' data on a regular basis.

My machine also seems to only record the 'last session' only, rather than a 24hr period. If I sleep for 7 hours, get up to pee (machine goes off for 3-5 minutes), go back to sleep for 3 hours, and then get up, the machine only gives me 3 hours in the 'day' data. Very frustrating...

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 41 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 388 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 320 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,082 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 812 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,171 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.