Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What about Oral (mouth only) masks?
RE: What about Oral (mouth only) masks?
If it helps any, I can say that some of the new ffms hitting the market seem to be a step up from past generations. I've tried several "older" ones including the Forma and Mirage Quattro, but I find the new Quattro Air to be a step ahead and suspect the Simplus will be as well.

If you have an "old standby" that works great, that's great....but if you're trying out some new masks anyway, they might be worth a shot.

I'm still surprised that the ffm manufacturers still think the seal needs to be the same as a pocket mask (for CPR)...nose to chin notch only. As someone who works with respirators and supplied air, I know you can be comfortable (8+ hrs), get a robust seal and put up with similar and higher pressures with a mask that won't "slide" into your mouth if you yawn. Wink
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are still looking for an oral only mask, there is a device called an OPAP. Although the company that originally made this is no longer in business, the link is still active:

http://www.opaphealthcare.com/about.php

There are still labs that will make an OPAP. The cost ranges from $1500 to $4500. I have one. It did not work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hehe - thanks, but way out of my price range. Am thinking that even when I am mouth-breathing now, I am still using my nose to some degree, so a FFM seems to be the way to stay during those times that my nose isn't working well.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed machines do reset the LCD data at noon on the machine's local clock. If you are using a Resmed machine then you've got the option of setting the clock. The clock is accessible through the clinical menu. So get the clinical menu, check the clock setting. If you often or always sleep through noon local time and you are NOT asleep at midnight, you may find setting the clock 12 hours off to be an easy fix.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can find the "how to set the dang clock" info here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._the_clock
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yup - figured that out, and just backed it off 4 hours, si I have time to see it after getting up.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
The Oracle mask comes with nose plugs, but, in theory, you learn to use it without the plugs.

The trick is to seal your nose closed with your soft palate. This is the same trick you use to blow up a balloon, you have pressure in your mouth, but no air comes out of your nose.

I was able to adjust to sleeping without the nose plug by sort of blowing back into the mouthpiece thinking about blowing up a balloon. Then I would sort of relax without releasing the nose seal. It sounds weird, but isn't really that hard. Once you get it started, the pressure sort of holds the flap at the back of the nose closed on its own.

If you can train yourself to use the mask this way, it has several benefits. There's no pressure in your nose, no pressure in your ears, or your sinuses. It also prevents problems with air leaking through the nasolacrimal duct into the corner of your eyes for those with that problem.

The mouthpiece in your mouth tends to seal pretty well. It feels strange and takes a while to get used to, but I didn't have too much of a problem with it.

Now for the negatives.

It does tend to dry your mouth and throat out a lot, even with humidification. You do need a humidifier.

Not breathing through the nose bothers many people. You may have problems with runny nose. I understand that your nervous system uses some sort of airflow sensors inside your nose to regulate some things with your breathing or heartbeat, so there may be some minor side effects from that.

In my opinion, it can be a hard mask to get used to, but for certain problems, it's the only solution.

Some people have modified some of the hybrid style masks to block off the nosepiece and made themselves a homemade oral mask.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.