Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What antifungal worked for your scalp from headgear fungus?
RE: What antifungal worked for your scalp from headgear fungus?
My dermatologist said to use over the counter Nizoral, which is 1% antifungal ketoconazole, but rather than just wash with it, to massage it into the entire scalp, covering each hair, and leave it in for five minutes, then wash it out. She also gave me a mild steroid cream for use on the inflamed area for several weeks. This worked for me, though it took several weeks to see significant improvement.

I also replaced my hairbrush, washed my headgear and pillowcases, to prevent possible repeat infection.

What medications have you tried? Did you leave them in?

If OTC antifungals aren’t having an effect, perhaps it isn’t a fungal infection and you might consider seeing a dermatologist or other physician.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
Leaving the 1% Nizoral on for 5 minutes is what my doctor recommended and it appears to be effective. It eliminated the scale over time.  I believe the 5 minutes is the key to success.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, everyone! I will give that shampoo a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
My brother-in-law had a strange spot on his head and it turned out to be shingles requiring an anti-viral drug asap. Shingles is nasty stuff it gets in your eyes.  A dermatologist, your family doctor, or walk-in clinic doctor should be able to diagnose this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Shingles is a nasty disease. If you have numbness on your forehead and no visible lesions, it could be in your ear. Untreated, it can result in deafness, vertigo, or both. Go to urgent care and get the antiviral drug to prevent it from progressing. If it is a false alarm, the only downside is the expense.
Post Reply Post Reply
"If it is a false alarm, the only downside is the expense." -- Peace of mind is priceless!
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Experiment underway. I bought Nizoral from a*azon dot ca. It clearly says 2% on the label. I've used it once. I didn't leave it on for 5 minutes. Lat night I woke up about 2:00 am. with incredibly itchy arms. Scalp is fine. I've barely scratched my scalp all day.

fwiw
Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, the Nizerol in the US is limited to 1% without prescription. It’s interesting to learn you can buy 2% in Canada. Note we have changed the commercial links rule and you can name or link Amazon as long as it’s not a DME or prescription item.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider.

I have it now and have used it once or twice a week with some difficulty.

Part way through my trial I figured I wasn't using it long enough. So I changed my routine and let the shampoo stay. Darned if it didn't run into my eye. Not fun...I fixed it quickly.

So...I'm not happy with the way I use this product. I can't leave it on as long as the instructions say.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
It can have a drying effect, so I don't let it stay on as long as recommended, and I usually follow with a conditioner now. Like the original poster, I had occasional "pimples" on the back of my scalp, and they were painful. The Nizerol used occasionally keeps that in check, but I don't recommend it when your scalp is clear, or if you feel excessive dryness. It is not fun to get in your eye. Spot-treating with ketoconazole creme is also an option.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cpap for 4 month, worked in the beginning but not much now Killiane69 6 605 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Killiane69
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 8 1,658 01-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question [Equipment] Is the headgear on AirFit N20 the same as AirFit F20? James87 4 439 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: labrat
  P10 Headgear paulag1955 2 351 12-14-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  F&P Solo Headgear Columbiabill 1 474 12-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Equipment] Resmed N30i/P30i headgear sleeve issues Himrent 1 422 11-23-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Adaptor to fix a Evora headgear on a Brevida mask BeauPetitNez 3 1,009 03-02-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Nickman111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.