Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What are realistic goals?
RE: What are realistic goals?
Would you be able to elaborate on what the flex is? I am not aware of the term.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Flex has several versions, I am not too familiar as I never used it when I had the BiPAP Auto for a few months in 2017. Flex is supposed to do exhale pressure relief like ResMed EPR, but it's less effective and the Flex concept is buried under tons of murky Respironics secret stuff. ResMed is secret about lots of things as well, but EPR is known to be reverse operating Pressure Support of BPAP units. PS adds to EPAP/exhale pressure to get IPAP/inhale pressure. EPR reduces x cmH2O from EPAP, where x stands for EPR pressure of 1-3. Flex has settings of 1-3 as well, but these numbers are not cmH2O but that murky secret info of Respironics. They say Flex is equal to EPR but not true going by feedback of users. Just like Respironics is supposedly the same as ResMed but users say it is different, with ResMed being noticeably better.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Flex reduces the pressure and increases the difference between the upper and lower pressures. One reason (not the only) is a greater difference in pressures. So removing the flex could help with centrals.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
To note here is 2 night ago with the same setting as last night. Centrals seemed lower, not sure what happened last night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You had the calendar up and I could not see you were on flex or I would have asked you to turn it off until we got settings correct.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2020, 10:47 AM)happydreams Wrote: Flex settings are really personal.  What works for one person may be distressing to another.  For me, I never could get used to AFlex.  I'd always have a bad night.  Just didn't agree with me.  When I changed to CFLex things got significantly better.  Consider changing either the setting level or type of Flex.  It might help.

I was under the impression that AFlex is for when you are in Auto, and CFlex is for when you are in CPAP.  Did I have that wrong?  Can you run in C-Flex while your machine is running in APAP mode?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2020, 01:06 PM)Garfield Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 10:47 AM)happydreams Wrote: Flex settings are really personal.  What works for one person may be distressing to another.  For me, I never could get used to AFlex.  I'd always have a bad night.  Just didn't agree with me.  When I changed to CFLex things got significantly better.  Consider changing either the setting level or type of Flex.  It might help.

I was under the impression that AFlex is for when you are in Auto, and CFlex is for when you are in CPAP.  Did I have that wrong?  Can you run in C-Flex while your machine is running in APAP mode?
The REMstar Auto System One 60 series (560) I had let me choose either.  CFlex-2, for me had the least amount of events for me and was more comfortable.  Your comfort or events may vary.  I ran in CFlex-2 mode on APAP for well over 1800 days.  So at least for this machine the answer is yes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2020, 09:51 AM)flcpap17 Wrote: @Rcgop what are you at now?
Between 0 and .6 and most are centrals or Hypos.
Always less than 1.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning everyone,

I have attached the results from last night. The tweaks I made were turning the ramp off, turning A-Flex down from 2 to 1 and raising max at 12. My results are attached below. My thought is to maybe raise the minimum again? I am afraid that will increase centrals (I really don’t have much knowledge on this but that seems to be the consensus result) and then maybe turn the A-Flex completely off.

Thoughts?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The exact same suggestion I had yesterday, move the min up 1 and turn off the flex.  You are still to low at 6, it will probably need to go up more but at least move it 1 to 7 for the night.  Turning off the flex will reduce the centrals not increase them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are very low AHI's realistic for everyone? Jimsp1 11 4,171 01-19-2016, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Mr. Van Winkle
  [Treatment] Looks like I'm not meeting my goals justMongo 14 4,292 03-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Peter_C

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.