Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

help with pressures-new to cpap and sleepyhead
Cool 
help with pressures-new to cpap and sleepyhead
Hi everyone! About 10 yrs ago I had a sleep study and MLST- no OSA but slept on the nap test within 4 minutes but apparently did not have REM for a dx of narcolepsy. Was prescribed Provigil for idiopathic hypersomnia. Fast foward to 1.5 years ago. Stopped Provigil r/t cost many years back. New sleep study -dx with OSA and placed on CPAP. Was noncompliant due to drooling in mask waking me up wayyyy too much. About 4 weeks ago I gave it another try. I initially was on 7 pressure but increased to 8 due to still being really tired about 2 weeks in, Finally downloaded Sleepyhead and have statistics. I am still tired but have noticed some improvement. Can someone help interpret my stats to see if I am on a correct pressure? My events for last night were:Clear Airway 3 ;Hypoapneas 27 Obstructive 8 Pressure pulse 32 RERA 6 events VS2-148 events
AHI 3.55 (3.9) OI 1.33 (1.44) HI 1.99 (2.46) CAI .22 (0.2) FLI 0 (0) RERA index 0.44 (.64) Average Leak Rate 1.33 (1.4) 90% leak rate 5.0 (4 )% of time above leak rate threshold 0.25 (o.1)
The weekly stats are in parenthesis.. I know my AHI is < 5 consistently but I'm still tired and need to nap almost daily.Also when I put my mask on...I yawn excessively until I fall asleep. Thinking-about

Thanks everyone! So tired of being tired.. you all know the meaning of what it can do to your life...Help
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: help with pressures-new to cpap and sleepyhead
When first using the machine, some can get really tired at first just due to the body and brain finally getting the rest it needs. How long it lasts varies from person to person.

A screenshot of a typical night would help. That way we can see the pretty graphs. We like graphs.

Insert an attachment:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ttachments
Or
Insert an image:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-an-Image

The next thing is if the AHI is less than 5, leave it be for a while. Let you and your body get used to everything.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi twilight,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP can take some getting used to but stick with it; it does get better over time.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and better luck to you this time around with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2015, 03:58 PM)twilight Wrote: Hi everyone! About 10 yrs ago I had a sleep study and MLST- no OSA but slept on the nap test within 4 minutes but apparently did not have REM for a dx of narcolepsy. Was prescribed Provigil for idiopathic hypersomnia. Fast foward to 1.5 years ago. Stopped Provigil r/t cost many years back. New sleep study -dx with OSA and placed on CPAP. Was noncompliant due to drooling in mask waking me up wayyyy too much. About 4 weeks ago I gave it another try. I initially was on 7 pressure but increased to 8 due to still being really tired about 2 weeks in, Finally downloaded Sleepyhead and have statistics. I am still tired but have noticed some improvement. Can someone help interpret my stats to see if I am on a correct pressure? My events for last night were:Clear Airway 3 ;Hypoapneas 27 Obstructive 8 Pressure pulse 32 RERA 6 events VS2-148 events
AHI 3.55 (3.9) OI 1.33 (1.44) HI 1.99 (2.46) CAI .22 (0.2) FLI 0 (0) RERA index 0.44 (.64) Average Leak Rate 1.33 (1.4) 90% leak rate 5.0 (4 )% of time above leak rate threshold 0.25 (o.1)
The weekly stats are in parenthesis.. I know my AHI is < 5 consistently but I'm still tired and need to nap almost daily.Also when I put my mask on...I yawn excessively until I fall asleep. Thinking-about

Thanks everyone! So tired of being tired.. you all know the meaning of what it can do to your life...Help

Paula forgot to mention that until you have about 8 posts you won't be able to post an image or link. Once your can, I like this method http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

So, you're at 8 cmH2O pressure and your Ahi is at 3.5. That's great for where you're at in your therapy! You are not experiencing a lot of clear apnea, so the therapy is working and your problem is not complicated. The RERA index is 0.44, and again, that means you're getting decently restful sleep and not being aroused by respiratory efforts.

The pressure of 8.0 seems to be effective in treating your obstructive events. I would continue without changes for a while and make sure that holds. Eventually you might try additional pressure, but only in 0.5 increments, as you seem to be where you need to be. You've overcome a lot to get where you are, and should feel better as time goes on. Keep up the good work!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
New members with less than 8 posts can still upload small image attachments.

That said, they might have to reduce the file size a bit to be less than 200 kb, as per this requirement:

Quote:File attachment size limits:
New Members: 200 kb
Members: 512 kb
Preferred Members: 600 kb
Wiki Editors: 700 kb
Advisory Members: 1024 kb

Brand new members can't post links of any type until they have been a member for a couple of days and have posted 8 posts or more. This is an anti-spam measure in the forum software.

But attachments are fine.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 365 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,851 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 506 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 451 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central sleep apnea? need help on pressures flappypalate 2 506 11-23-2023, 05:37 PM
Last Post: flappypalate
  Need help falling asleep with changing BiPap pressures ISeekRem 7 667 08-13-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Ffm requires higher pressures yankees123 2 577 05-15-2023, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.