Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI Numbers While Dreaming
AHI Numbers While Dreaming
I'm sure this phenomenon has probably been discussed elsewhere on the board. 

My daily AHI numbers are always 1 or less. But I just found out today that, when I'm dreaming, my numbers shoot way way up to like 64 or so! Don't quite understand it yet, but was surprised to learn this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Numbers While Dreaming
There can be more apneas during REM sleep. Do you have a copy of your diagnostic sleep test? It may indicate that (mine did).

I'll also note that the AHI is an average over the time you slept, so if there is a period during which there are repeated apneas and the other time has nearly nothing, the overall AHI will be low. If you highlight just the period with the repeated apneas, a line under the graph will show you an approximate AHI over just that period.
It may be helpful to show the wave forms to your doc for these periods.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The doc is the one who pointed this out when he downloaded my card
Post Reply Post Reply
And did he suggest anything to improve that period?

Post Reply Post Reply
no. should he have?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know; perhaps someone else does.

Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting, there is an article in NIH at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2919664/. Basically what it says is that they found REM related apnea events were worse in the supine position than they are when laying on ones side.

Perhaps trying to stay off the back would decrease the REM related events you are experiencing.
Post Reply Post Reply
My events are often clustered around REM.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll be checking out a large wedge pillow tonight. I'll report my observations under Other Product Reviews
tomorrow, under this thread.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 112 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 350 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 602 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,015 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Numbers are better but I feel worse LikeaGlove90 2 509 09-24-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: LikeaGlove90
Sad Waking up around 4-5am every night. Occasional Aerophagia. Good numbers? jkang9080 3 537 08-22-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] AM97 Therapy Thread: Help me interpret OSCAR and get my numbers right am97 6 777 07-14-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.