Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What are these breathing patterns?
Machine is AirCurve 10 VAuto, min EPAP=9, max IPAP=14 PS=5 (VPAPauto mode but fixed). 

I see these pattenrs 5-10 times per hour and wonder what do they mean.

[Image: iz5OW55.jpg]

[Image: HBQDT5m.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Ever inhale sharply through the nose, then swallow, and resume breathing with an exhale? Are you aware of any post-nasal drip? That's what the first one looks like.

The second one looks like a possible arousal with flow limitation at 03:38:45. All of this is perfectly normal, and no reason you should be aware of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, this makes sense. I do have post nasal drip. It's not very annoying but maybe it's time to do something about it.

With PS=5 the flow limitation is zero most of the time which is why I had not included it in the graphs.
With lower PS/EPR or straight CPAP it is significantly higher. My flow limitation is very responsive to PS/EPR.

Anyhow, should I try to minimize the 2nd one, possible arousals?
Post Reply Post Reply

Now that you mention it, I do see the bilevel PS. Maybe you should update your profile with your Aircurve 10 S or Vauto machine and more accurate pressure settings. Nasal "prongs" almost don't exist. You are using nasal pillows, and should have that in your machine settings. As far as changing anything, nothing I see see here gives me a clue what to suggest.

Nasal prongs:

[Image: K2A234_600.jpg]

Nasal pillows:

[Image: airfit-p10-cpap-mask-resmed.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I have updated the profile. 

With same settings 14/9 and mouth taped (zero leak), what do you think happens on these expirations? the windpipe closes and opens?

[Image: 8BL5dDv.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a brief pause in the exhale that could be a swallow or just a momentary hitch in expiration. You might want to right click on the Y-Axis of the chart (left margin) and add dotted lines at zero. It makes interpretation easier as everything below the zero-line is expiration and everything above is inspiration.
Post Reply Post Reply

With dotted line at zero, with more context and high zoom.
I am interested to know if this may indicate higher EPAP is required.

[Image: nHW6wyI.jpg]

[Image: KeZQca0.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheyne-Stokes or Biot's Breathing? zzzZorro 0 49 11 hours ago
Last Post: zzzZorro
  Difficulty Breathing GoneFission 2 85 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Gary1of2
  Breathing Issues TBonz 9 259 11-19-2017, 05:21 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Breathing During Sleep in Normal Middle-Aged Subjects Shin Ryoku 10 331 11-16-2017, 06:04 AM
Last Post: Timur
  Breathing issues zeepac 6 247 11-06-2017, 10:36 PM
Last Post: dracus
  [CPAP] Resmed Airsense 10 makes breathing noise LSU101 8 475 11-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Disturbing breathing patterns? Please help. mRFstro 18 766 10-22-2017, 09:55 AM
Last Post: bonjour