Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What biPAPs do you use or recommend? Any models to stay away from?
What biPAPs do you use or recommend? Any models to stay away from?
I was recommended a vauto air sense resmed by Fred and it's the model I would ideally get but my insurance might not be able to cover it. right now I've been on a PR dreamstation apap that has been pretty useless. according to oscar it's a brick - no useful data. Someone on reddit also recommended the dreamstation bipap. Are most bipaps acceptable for UARS? Any particular suggestions, anything to stay away from? If anyone has any other non-biPAP models to recommend, feel free to list them. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What biPAPs do you use or recommend? Any models to stay away from?
If your looking to upgrade to another machine, then Fred gave you a good suggestion.  A lot depends on whether you are self paying or going through insurance.  

If you are going through insurance, you will need to contact them to see what your exact coverage is, if they require a sleep study, what your deductible is, etc.  If self paying, check Supplier #2 as they sell low hour used and also open box new machines.  Many here have had good luck with this vendor.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to be clear, since I know it's all confusing, the model that Fred recommended was the "Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto."

See if you can get that.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah it'd be the model I want to get but I was just wondering if there were any other bipap models that were also recommended, just in case
Post Reply Post Reply
I want to get it (the one Fred recommended) but I'm not sure if my insurance will be cover it. I'm still on my parents' insurance so it's all a bit confusing to me, my mom told me that the doctor said the insurance wouldn't cover an auto bipap or something. (chances are that I might need to get a cheaper version). I'm in talks with a sleep lab which is verifying some information before titration/in lab sleep test. I was just wondering if there were any other models of bipap that were recommended by this community in case this one (resmed vauto aircurve 10) isn't available to me, or even just ASV/APAPs that have been effective for people with UARS.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stay away from Philips dreamstation. I had one for 5 years and never could get decent therapy. I purchased mine used (1 month use) from Supplier #2. It came with 2 new hoses (one heated), carrying case, new humidifier, and of course power supply. Great machine and great company and service. I paid for it myself $799. Resmed AirCurve VAUTO.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Do y'all know if there are any other brands though besides ResMed and PR for this? Kinda feeling constrained by the options being presented (I understand this isn't a huge industry) but all the reviews on the product review board seem to be highly positive for all the products and I'd really want to get this damn sleep sorted out. Again the ResMed is my first choice but just in case I can't get it
Post Reply Post Reply
Like they told you - the resmed airsense s10 autoset works like a bipap. It just has 3 settings 1, 2 and 3. If you do not qualify for a resmed bpap you will not qualify for any bpap no matter the brand. check with your parents the deductable... it may be more that just buying a machine. The VAUTO is 799 slightly used. Great machine and a great price.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
When treating UARS, bilevel pressure is very helpful because it is "Pressure Support" (PS) which is the difference between inhale and exhale pressure (IPAP/EPAP) that help to replace the respiratory effort needed to overcome your airway resistance. Pressure support for your breathing is like getting a gentle push from behind as you walk up a hill. It makes respiration easier and improves air volume. Your CPAP only provides brute force pressure to treat your upper airway resistance and flow limitation. With bilevel therapy, we can replace that pressure with pressure support, and therapy becomes far more effective at lower pressures and with much more comfort. CPAP is a poor tool to treat flow limitation from upper airway resistance, and bilevel can make a huge difference.

We have seen many machines on the forum, but have arrived at the recommendation for the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto for good reasons. That said, there are auto CPAP machines that are far far better than the Philips Respironics 200 series CPAP. Having data is important, and the way that air is delivered is also important as you can see from the description of bilevel above. The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset provides up to 3-cm of pressure support using a feature called expiratory pressure relief (EPR). This pressure reduction works identically to the Vauto everyone has suggested, but it is limited to 3-cm and comes in a CPAP machine your insurance is far more likely to pay for.

According to your profile, your pressure is at 18. That is very high pressure and near the high end of the capacity of your CPAP. Discomfort with high pressure (intolerance) is frequently accepted as a basis for switching a patient to bilevel. So you may have a legitimate pathway to the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto, by discussing your concerns that pressure is very high, uncomfortable and does not seem to be providing the expected benefits in therapy. You should complain the machine does not provide any data that allows you to see your progress. You can try to get the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto, however if your doctor will not go along with that, then request the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAP. This machine is far superior to your current machine and provides full data as well as true bilevel EPR.

Finally, I think you should read the thread by another young person with UARS who was started on CPAP. His doctor authorized bilevel and it has really improved his results http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ssure-APAP Your situation will be unique as an individual, but you have a lot in common with Johnnyde94 in terms of age, high pressure and poor results on CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are several classes of BiLevel, If they say BiLevel (BiPAP is the Phillips brand) they will most likely say BiLevel without backup (it will not initiate breaths) and that is where the VAuto fits. Respironics is cheaper FOR THE DME, and since they get paid the same for any BiLevel without backup, they will make MORE MONEY. Your cost through insurance should be the same. Rest assured that the DME makes a good profit either way. If you let them they will give you what they want to give you.

You have the 3 people above, plus me, saying that the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto is the BiLevel you should get. For UARS you need a ResMed simply because UARS are centered around Flow Limitations and ResMed's algorithms attack Flow Limits better than anything else on the market. BiLevels treat UARS better than any CPAP/APAP simply because of the higher level of pressure support that can be achieved. The majority of UARS users that get CPAP/APAP need to switch to BiLevel to get adequate treatment. With UARS this is difficult because there are no numbers to say I need more so you then need the right doctor that will justify it for insurance. The best bet is to get the BiLevel now.

PUSH for the BiLevel. if you absolutely cannot than get the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet or the AutoSet for Her variant (it has an extra mode), but the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto is better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Improvement after adjustments - still can't stay asleep DKane 0 70 04-12-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: DKane
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 10 348 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: DKane
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 534 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 180 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question What O2 measurement device do you recommend? hejohoo 4 618 08-08-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] ResMed heated humidifier tubing doesn't stay warm Dr.Bob 8 1,335 04-06-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Need help: stinky air from CPAP after hospital stay SakimaStorm 4 593 01-26-2023, 07:49 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.