Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Joey's Mother: CPAP to ASV Therapy Thread
RE: What could be causing prolonged periods of shallow breathing?
Yes, one or both.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, good to know. I think we need one of the resident experts to respond re minute ventilation and tidal volume.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might be onto to something. She told me, most mornings, she will blow her nose after getting up. Regardless, with increased pressure and mouth taping, most shallow breathing is gone. But she's complaining about soreness in the back of the throat in the morning, caused by higher pressure? She uses a humidifier and heated hose.

How do these waveforms look? Are they flow limited at all?

[Image: HDDpqEc.jpg]
[Image: cgzesrB.jpg][Image: wzAofG8.jpg]

[Image: pSy3mp0.jpg][Image: hXhuFXh.jpg][Image: BDek2eP.jpg][Image: OwBKSqS.jpg][Image: S6KZCdm.jpg][Image: 6uDRcez.jpg]
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Going back to an earlier question, could you tell us your mother's height, weight, and age? That would help the experts figure out whether her tidal volume and minute ventilation are normal. I know you had some concern about that.

To my eye, the top zoom-in doesn't look like sleep breathing, and the other zoom-ins look mostly pretty good, with some signs of mostly minor flow limitation (point, dent, or flat-top on inhalation). The resolution on my laptop isn't very good, though.

I'm glad the shallow breathing seems to be resolved. I don't have a guess about the sore throat; sometimes things happen in the airway that aren't related to CPAP use. Often we get a better idea of what is going on by observing for a number of nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
About 95kg, 165cm, mid-50s
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I think it'd be good if an expert could assess whether the TV and MV are OK for a woman of this height, weight, and age.
Post Reply Post Reply
After putting her on BiLevel to treat the flow limitations and mouth taping + chin strap to treat bad mouth leakage, data is great, tidal volume is higher, shallow breathing periods are gone and she feels better than before. Might just need to slightly lower PS and slightly increase Min EPAP.

Overview
[Image: Q5ujlYy.png]
[Image: b28roRc.png][Image: 8dVzPuB.png][Image: tyi3nxU.png]
Events
[Image: JCWnuMr.png][Image: 8ZQBWBA.png][Image: HNXLiFz.png][Image: sQBCYUM.png][Image: hVxiO8E.png]

[Image: IcZTecp.png][Image: 3FlVYuk.png]Waveforms
[Image: OqdHn2u.png][Image: HDya3V6.png][Image: PNvUZ0k.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Had to use a chin strap because she kept dropping her jaw, pulling the tape off lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice to see these excellent results!
Post Reply Post Reply
That last chart on bilevel looks ideal for all parameters. There may be some obstruction from lower ramp pressures but I don't see a compelling need to change anything other than adjust for comfort.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,068 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 165 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,357 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 960 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,209 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.