Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What could be causing prolonged periods of shallow breathing?
RE: What could be causing prolonged periods of shallow breathing?
Yes, one or both.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Okay, good to know. I think we need one of the resident experts to respond re minute ventilation and tidal volume.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might be onto to something. She told me, most mornings, she will blow her nose after getting up. Regardless, with increased pressure and mouth taping, most shallow breathing is gone. But she's complaining about soreness in the back of the throat in the morning, caused by higher pressure? She uses a humidifier and heated hose.

How do these waveforms look? Are they flow limited at all?

[Image: HDDpqEc.jpg]
[Image: cgzesrB.jpg][Image: wzAofG8.jpg]

[Image: pSy3mp0.jpg][Image: hXhuFXh.jpg][Image: BDek2eP.jpg][Image: OwBKSqS.jpg][Image: S6KZCdm.jpg][Image: 6uDRcez.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Going back to an earlier question, could you tell us your mother's height, weight, and age? That would help the experts figure out whether her tidal volume and minute ventilation are normal. I know you had some concern about that.

To my eye, the top zoom-in doesn't look like sleep breathing, and the other zoom-ins look mostly pretty good, with some signs of mostly minor flow limitation (point, dent, or flat-top on inhalation). The resolution on my laptop isn't very good, though.

I'm glad the shallow breathing seems to be resolved. I don't have a guess about the sore throat; sometimes things happen in the airway that aren't related to CPAP use. Often we get a better idea of what is going on by observing for a number of nights.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
About 95kg, 165cm, mid-50s
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I think it'd be good if an expert could assess whether the TV and MV are OK for a woman of this height, weight, and age.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  8 year old trouble breathing tarah 6 198 Yesterday, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Matt00926
  Thoughts on mouth breathing and xPAP effectiveness? MNsleeplessnights 14 276 11-19-2019, 04:01 PM
Last Post: 70sSanO
  Taping for mouth breathing? DaveL 28 1,004 11-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Did Dreamstation or OSCAR fail to flag or misclassify abnormal breathing events ChinaMan 34 651 11-01-2019, 06:48 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [Equipment] REMstar Breathing Noises Greg Schultz 0 112 10-31-2019, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Greg Schultz
  what does switching from nasal to mouth breathing with a full face mask look like? tarah 5 382 10-29-2019, 05:26 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Do you keep your settings the same for extended periods yankees123 13 625 10-17-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: PsychoMike

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.