Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What devices actually work?
What devices actually work?
I notice that this site is very heavily leaning towards use of CPAP machines but I'd like to know what people have tried that has also worked because CPAP machines aren't cheap and the idea of wearing a mask to bed every day doesn't appeal to me at all. I was diagnosed by some take home rig and they said I have sever sleep apnoea but there were no specifics as to whether it was obstructive, nasal, throat/mouth situated.

I've tried adjustable and static mouthguards and spray and neither helped at all, made it worse actually.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What devices actually work?
Hi Anarchrox!  -  Welcome

Without seeing the results of your sleep study, it is impossible to recommend any type of therapy.  Try to obtain  a copy of your sleep study.  In the U.S. the patient is entitled to it.  I don't know how the game is played in your locale.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Currently,  xPAP is the gold standard treatment for sleep apnea.  Tried and true.  That's why the focus here is on the machines. 

Every once in a while someone comes up with a new solution,  but so far, xPAP is the only one that has lasted.  There are some surgical procedures that have become available but they tend to be more expensive,  surgery is more risky than strapping on a mask, and the surgical outcomes cannot be easily evaluated on a regular basis.  

xPAP, when a data capable machine,  coupled with OSCAR to monitor allows users to monitor their outcomes on a daily basis.  Users here, once the machine is optimally tuned usually results in very low events/AHI.  Better than most surgical solutions can offer.

Surgical procedures are not suitable for every person dependent on a number of factors including severity of condition. 

To save money you can buy a second hand machine. 

Ultimately,  it all goes back to you ..... what you can accept/manage.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Using a Cpap is NOT appealing to anyone!!  You do what works. You have already tried a couple things that did not work. Surgery is not a sure answer, costly and not a good option IMO. That leaves CPAP!
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2020, 05:09 PM)Anarchrox Wrote: I notice that this site is very heavily leaning towards use of CPAP machines but I'd like to know what people have tried that has also worked because CPAP machines aren't cheap and the idea of wearing a mask to bed every day doesn't appeal to me at all. I was diagnosed by some take home rig and they said I have sever sleep apnoea but there were no specifics as to whether it was obstructive, nasal, throat/mouth situated.

I've tried adjustable and static mouthguards and spray and neither helped at all, made it worse actually.

Welcome to the stark reality of your new diagnosis.  We've all been there.  About once a week, maybe twice a month here, someone posts asking the very same question.  Turbinate surgery, maxillofacial surgery, throat and tongue exercises, nasal strips, sixteen different decongestants, and I even posted about 'fatty tongue' where people who have piled on the adipose tissue often have this impediment to nocturnal bliss.

I don't know your age, but as we do just that, things.....ummmmmmm..................................................shift.  For example, pretty sure my neck was about 10 cm long and about 29 cm in circumference not so long ago.  Wow, how that has changed!  If my neck is both thicker and shorter, and believe me, it is, then it doesn't require much of a thought experiment to figure out what tissue changes and densities have taken place, some certainly close to my airway.  I didn't used to snore not so long ago, but I was a champ by the summer of 2017 when I developed AFib and was soon diagnosed with severe apnea.

The sprays are for temporary relief, as I'm sure you understand, and should not be used routinely unless there is no other choice or remedy, including those that must be prescribed.  I have ready many tales here about surgeries that have accomplished the square root of sweet tweet, except to make a long list of unpleasant memories for the sufferer.  High fives for the surgery team.

This is getting windy, but I should conclude that this site, while about sleep apnea, it's mostly about people dealing with the reality, getting some help coping, and learning about how to manage it.  The heavy majority of posters, new and old, are using machines and want to know how to optimize their therapy, almost always because they feel abandoned by indifferent or incompetent care-givers with whom they were forced to deal initially by law.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you  snore loudly and stop breathing in short bursts that is what I noticed when I voice activated tape recorded a sleep session of mine when every one was complaining that I snored terribly. When I replayed the tape I knew something had to be done for myself and sought help. I to had a home study done in Canada and after a week of testing approximately and took the Cpap back to the nurse who then consulted with her colleagues what my symptoms were. My results  if I remember were mild to intermediate border line and so I took the path they suggested and it was for the better IMO. And yes everyone in the family could also get a good nights rest finally over 12 yrs ago. I think the equipment now is a lot better and more to choose from when it comes to masks. Oscar is a great help for all of us who want to learn a little about apnea, I also had used sleepyhead and it is very similar to Oscar in appearance when looking at charts. The Apnea board forum is the icing on the cake because you can get ideas of new gear and latest greatest masks and knowledge and experience that goes a long way for a person seeking in dialing in their equipment. Maybe that is why I stuck around for a while to give back a little!
Post Reply Post Reply
Anarchrox welcome to the forum!

First time I ever put on a mask and turned on a machine I fell into deep sleep. I was woken up by a phone call. I cherish the well being I felt that day.

I'm still working at getting the best care that I can.

Summary? It's worth it. I feel I have more energy and my health is better, because I participate here.

Please consider posting your sleep study. When I posted mine things started to get better. And when I learned more from the people here and implemented their suggestions, it made a huge difference in my life.

My observation: Proper therapy in treatment of OSA has improved my life.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 95 1 hour ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,828 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Smart Watches/devices Fourkidletts 172 16,460 03-02-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 625 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  [Equipment] Philips Replacement Devices - No PREHEAT or AUTO-OFF malabarflash 0 230 01-27-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: malabarflash
  [Equipment] Any experiences with Ventmed VM8 or other Ventmed devices? Bhante 2 546 08-13-2023, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Bhante

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.